It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Discussion of the Possible Relationship of Luna and SeismIc Activity

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Robin Marks over in this thread expressed a desire for a spin off thread to provide a place for this topic. Having an interest ok both astronomy and geology I determined to make such a thread. I'm presently at work right now and do not have much time to add much more than this introductory post at the moment.

Please post your thoughts, suggestions, and research regarding this topic and above all stay civil.
edit on 18-2-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: Stupid iPhone.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical

Thanks for info. That is very informative. Changed my life.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I was thinking the same thing the other day.

DM

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Nice one. I look forward to a really interesting discussion.

I have transferred this here as it is actually much more relevant to this topic than Geophysics in the sense that this is specifically discussing this subject.

Posted by Fritzthecat
hope this is on topic for here thank you sir for the stearage lol
Ok so here is the nut shell idea
Ive noticed if you take the new earthquakes over lets say 4.5 or so
earthquake.usgs.gov...

then go to this program '
www.smeter.net...

Bearing in mind where the quake was in referance to the moon view of the earth
Ok so ive noticed for some time now that three is more then a random amount of them, that are at the verry edge of where the moon is on the view. hope this makes sense to you Thanks

My reply:
So are you saying that the incidence of quakes is always at the edge of the area. And is this the on the right or left edge or on both?

Have you kept any records of this at all by any chance?

Fritzthecat:
just mental notes lol. not always to the side just seems like more then not. and it could be either side. but also as a sorta side noe that is in the same area as the tidal influnce. so on the left side at that edge is high tide and on the right is low tide.

if you notice it just happend again in argentina
4 for 4
toady

Me:
OK see if you can keep a record. I would but I have too much to do just at the moment.

I will come back to this.

Fritzthecat:
I thought of this years ago. I was out on the ocean and heard of a earthquake. I was lookinig at a tide table at the time it came over the radio. So i thought to myself i wonder if the moon can pick up and set down the ocean what does it do to the land at the same time. We wouldnt notice it a lot would we. It wasnt til a few months ago that I came acros the luner view sight. Then is wehn i remembered that idea I had and sorta started watching both sites.
Im to anilitical at times lol. ok well all the time. I always figured theres rime to reason eh. Hope some of the other theorys arent valid because i live in valcano alley lol

earthquake.usgs.gov...
earthquake.usgs.gov...
earthquake.usgs.gov...
earthquake.usgs.gov...

all 4 of these fell on the are im talking about,
also like to note that Guy AR. will soon fall into this area on the right side of the view so i wonder if there will be a ramp up in activity?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Without any definate scientific studies, I believe in the Lunar?Solunar tables. Just from my own hunting/fishing experiences and how it affects the wildlife,deer to fish. Physical Earth changes should highly be considered . The tide changes can be affected by them also.
edit on 18-2-2011 by mugger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
You guys might want to look up the term

"Perigee Moon"

We're having one tomorrow evening.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mugger

ive commercial fished for 25 years. All of the fishing is done off of lunar and solar timing.

Squid fishing is done at nite with large soduim lights so you fool the squid into thinking its a full moon.
Salmon dont bite between 10-2 most of the time
spawns are done during full moon periods.
tons of examples
dover will only spawn during winter around the winter solstice is the best time they come up to shallow water to spawn

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
one thing i noticed about the moon tonight is that to me it seems a lot larger and closer to earth then usual. as well as unsually bright.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...
www.smeter.net...
that one also not big but its rite there on the edge

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Fritzthecat

Thank you for your agreement. Glad to see a Conservationist/fisherman on this site! I was hoping for
someone to back me. Noone better than a commercial fisherman. I have seen the squid on Blue fishing trips. Awesome sight during the full moon.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by mugger

I woke up one nite off the oregon coast, (newport) had my deck lights and sodium lights off. The deck lights where atracting candle fish (about 2-3 inch long) As I was releaving myself I looked over the side and seen about 2,000 humbolt squid (they where feeding on the fish) one amaizing sight watching them catch prey and feed. they where on all sides of the boat.
Freak weather paterns
there was a strange storm once was less then 200 feet wide had 8 foot wind waves and was miles long, both sides of the current/storm was dead calm. Evan the wind was there 30-40 mile winds was a freak thing lol.

back on topic I would think the crust would move in a way like the oceans, but we would have no way of measuring it. If the earth swelled how would you measure it?
It would put a wobble affect into the rotation from the flexing and relaxing of the plates?
perhaps like a pop can once it flexes so much it tears, But the crust wouldnt tare it would shake then fill with molten material. unless the crack was to large and became a volcano?
dont ask me for proof lol. I like to think from both pro and con and debate myself into a corner lol

oh and now the count is 5 for 5 lol

edit on 18-2-2011 by Fritzthecat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Totally agree, earthquakes, volcanoes and as in the Indonesia area has new rock,land masses or disappearing.
Most of my fishing is on the east coast by Ocean City, Maryland. Old high school friend's dad was a captain.
Also went out of Surf city, NJ. Spend most of my time on the Deleware at my family's cabin near the deleware water gap. Shad decreasing big time.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...
www.smeter.net...

hard to tell but it looks fairly close to the zone i cant tell but looks like the left side is pretty close.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
www.mobilegeographics.com:81...
alsto a note it is now almost low tide now. at that location, closest one i got was 100 miles away from the quake site.
so like i said big quake low or high tide at the edges of the lunar influance
So If i was in thinking that thru, I would think like this ok low tide water is Shalowest. at that time and point. Less water makes less weight on the crust below or in that area. and low tide would have the either strongest push or pull on the area of the tidal influance (im not thinking tidal influance in as per say water. tidal influance in this term can also mean strain on the crust ie land)

edit on 18-2-2011 by Fritzthecat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

The dominant perturbation in the earths gravitational field generates the semi-diurnal (12 hour) ocean and solid earth tides which are primarily caused by the moon (due to its proximity) and the sun (due to its large mass). No significant correlations have been identified between the rate of earthquake occurrence and the semi-diurnal tides when using large earthquake catalogs. There have, however, been some small but significant correlations reported between the semi-diurnal tides and the rate of occurrence of aftershocks in some volcanic regions, such as Mammoth Lakes.

So says Berkley in 1999

Source

UCLA says this in 2004:

"Large tides have a significant effect in triggering earthquakes," said Elizabeth Cochran, a UCLA graduate student in Earth and space sciences and lead author of the Science paper. "The earthquakes would have happened anyway, but they can be pushed sooner or later by the stress fluctuations of the tides."

Source

This deals more so with continental plate boundary faults such as San Andreas rather than the mid-continental fault system such as is the New Madras.However, what the area of the NMSZ has that those other locations don't is a lot of water suspended in the soil. Plate boundaries are generally rocky in nature whereas the Mississippi River Valley is very soft sandy soil that is the result of a long time of sedimentation.

That being the case, the tides in all of that water suspended within the soil of that wide a range of land would cause a significant redistribution of weight on the underlying fault system. Granted any such movement of water suspended within the soil would be mitigated by the particulate nature of the dirt it is suspended in. It won't move as freely as the ocean does.

I was struck today as I was looking at satellite photos of the area in which the quakes are occurring by how similar the general topography of the area is to the sand at the water's edge. The semi-regular rippled appearance it gets as the waves wash back and forth over the sand.

Just a few rambling thoughts and a bit of digging on the topic. Let me know what you think of either

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov... hawaii 3.0
www.smeter.net...

Just logged on and look here is another
much eisier to see what im talking about look on the right side of the moon view,
notice where the shadow and the light meet. what is there Hawaii

this isnt my theory or anything its just a strange observation at most.
edit on 19-2-2011 by Fritzthecat because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-2-2011 by Fritzthecat because: put left side instead of right, not enough coffee lol

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Drat came here too late and missed it.

Maybe we should screenshot these as a record?

@jadedANDcynical - I will get back to you on your post later. Has possibilities either way and the theory may be right

edit on 19/2/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
that last one in ar was rite on that luner edge also
yea you have to be looking within the hour, I just have them in my favs lol
so i can pop in and our of them.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

earthquake.usgs.gov...
guatimala
www.smeter.net...
again on the edge of the lunar map

earthquake.usgs.gov...
was a 5.3 at first

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...
www.smeter.net...
another one 5.0 rite on the edge again

top topics

<<   2 >>

join