It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rep. Trent Franks Launches Caucus to Address EMP Threat, Introduces "SHIELD Act"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Rep. Trent Franks Launches Caucus to Address EMP Threat, Introduces "SHIELD Act"

www.thestateco lumn.com

“The danger posed by electromagnetic pulse weapons, as well as naturally occurring electromagnetic pulses, has received increased attention over recent years from organizations including NASA, the National Association of Scientists, and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. The Congressional EMP Caucus is a bipartisan effort to bring much-needed Congressional attention to what has amounted, to this point, to a considerable blind spot in our national security.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
The Two SHIELD Acts—One for WikiLeaks and One for EMPs?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Finally, some information about the "other" SHIELD Act. (See related thread.)

The timing of this legislation is both natural and eerie with all the weirdness going on with the magnetic pole shift and solar storms, animals dying in bunches, and the weather.

This SHIELD Act is this one , "This Act may be cited as the `Secure High-voltage Infrastructure for Electricity from Lethal Damage Act' or the `SHIELD Act'," introduced in the House on February 11, 2011.

Here are a couple of excerpts from the House SHIELD Act:

(1) According to the Report of the Commission to Assess the Threat to the United States from Electromagnetic Pulse Attack (in this Act referred to as the `EMP Commission Report'), the society and economy of the United States are `critically dependent upon the availability of electricity.'.

(6) According to the EMP Commission Report, EMP occurs both naturally, such as geomagnetic storms, and via manmade devices.

and

(5) GEOMAGNETIC STORM- The term `geomagnetic storm' means a temporary disturbance of the Earth's magnetic field resulting from solar activity.

`(6) GRID SECURITY THREAT- The term `grid security threat' means a substantial likelihood of--

`(A) a malicious act using an electromagnetic pulse, or a geomagnetic storm event, that could disrupt the operation of those electrical or electronic devices or communications networks, including hardware, software, and data, that are essential to the reliability of the bulk-power system or of defense critical electric infrastructure; and

`(B) disruption of the operation of such devices or networks, with significant adverse effects on the reliability of the bulk-power system or of defense critical electric infrastructure, as a result of such act or event.

Here is a Congressional report from 2004 about the EMP threat. Report of the Commission to Assess the Threat to the United States from Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Attack. Is this the same bill referred to in this 2011 legislation? Maybe it's a report they do every year or so.

According to the Report of the Commission to Assess the Threat to the United States from Electromagnetic Pulse Attack (in this Act referred to as the ‘‘EMP Commission Report’’)...

I believe this is the report the legislation refers to.

This is overall a good thing to be prepared for, but again, the timing couldn't be stranger, particularly if they've waited since at least 2004 (maybe longer) to act.

www.thestateco lumn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2/18/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
When I see reports like this I cannot help but wonder if they are being proactive or reactive.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

That is the big question. From what I had time to dig out (the report the bill refers to, in particular), EMP concerns have been around a while now. But again, with all this recent news, one can't help but sense it's reactive. No matter if the opposite is true. People are getting edgy.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
You make a good point. It weirds me out a bit that all this stuff is taking place now with all of the strange occurences going on in the world, and off of it for that matter.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

Don't read my other linked thread if you don't want to get even more puzzled. The two different SHIELD Acts being announced the same week really threw me for a loop the other night. Particularly since another one came out in December in the Senate.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Good find.
I have been asking myself for years why we haven't hardened our grid against these possibilities. How how long do you think it will take to implement this?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Fingersoup

No real clue...just what I've read so far. There's really not a lot out there on the bill so far. The report linked to in the OP mentions 3-5 years and minimal cost. There are some websites that speak to EMP preparedness as far as infrastructure

The site has some information as well www.empactamerica.org...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Okay, got the chance to do a bit more research. They've been trying to get this passed in various bills for a while now. The cost of the bill that died in the Senate in October 2010 would have been $10B-$20B over a few years , while the damage a solar flare or EMP attack is estimated at $3 TRILLION, with repairs taking up to 10 years, not to mention the starvation, anarchy, and chaos that would ensue.

Decent article from USA Today Sciece:: Electromagnetic pulse impact far and wide

www.globalsecuritynewswire.org...

Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Legislation In Jeopardy

The Traditional Values Coalition is in support of legislation to protect our nation's electronic infrastructure from an Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) attack from rogue nations or from solar flares.

The legislation supported by TVC is H.R. 5026, known as the GRID Act. However, this bill has been gutted by Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) and other parts have been added to her own energy bill, S. 1462, the American Clean Energy Act Of 2009.

Sen. Murkowski stripped H.R. 5026 of the main elements designed to protect our infrastructure and did not add them to her bill. The effect has been to destroy the original purpose of H.R. 5026.

Also www.traditionalvalues.org...

“Sen. Murkowski stripped H.R. 5026 of the main elements designed to protect our infrastructure and did not add them to her bill,” said Andrea Lafferty, executive director of the Traditional Values Coalition.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Looking at all of this and knowing how to protect against a pulse, ordering the electrical generation industry to proof their systems against a pulse and actually doing it are two very different things.

Arnold cited a report on the nation’s EMP vulnerabilities that concluded it’s not practical to try and protect the entire electrical power system — or even all high-value components. So priorities will have to be set as to which assets are most critical,and then focus on shielding them.
li nk

And I know that most people will throw up their hands and cry why even bother if the grid's going to blow up anyways.

This is why you have learned about deep cycle batteries, low voltage lighting and power and generating power from either solar panels or a wind powered generator.

edit on 19-2-2011 by billxam because: include video

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Oops. Nevermind.
edit on 2/20/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join