It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 3.5 - WESTERN FLORIDA

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Does this have something with the spill?
Why does something interesting often happen around the 20th of most months nowadays.
I remember stating the emptied oil reserve cavity causing something to destabilize to the east.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
i used to jump on the band wagon but its just pathetic now how easily we are all entertained by the shiny object ooooooooooo aaaaaaa look at the pretty light.

just watching how fast everyone was like THIS IS IT PEOPLE ITs THE END AN EARTHQUAKE? come on people hold it together a bit.! we are bigger then a stoned fifteen year old amazed by shiny aluminum foil

it is much different then the animals dieing or the gulf spill or well earthquakes are earthquakes if it was a 10.0 then its time to worry ya know?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

What does his/her other threads have to do with this one? Its a legitimate thread, on a legitimate topic. If many of the other threads started by the OP are doom and gloom, so? This is ATS. He/she is certainly not alone in that. I just dont understand why a couple of you feel the need to bully the OP. Or pick on him/her in a thread where they are NOT making doomsday claims, but this one is just about an earthquake in Florida.

The OP has a link to a government site showing a seismologist verified a 3.5 quake in western Florida. I see no links to anything saying it is a sonic boom.

I just really dont understand the personal attacks on the OP. If you think he/she is violating the TnC, report him/her. But dont violate the TnC yourself by derailing, or forum bullying, or attacking the poster not the topic.

Thank You, I agree completely with what you've said. I think the OP started a very interesting thread. I live in Florida and am very interested in this topic. The people attacking him are derailing the topic and not even contributing anything interesting to this thread. I'm stuck having to skip over all their comments and its annoying. I personally dont think the world will end in 2012, But I am interested if there are earthquakes in FLorida.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Marabella22

Apparently you didn't read his 2nd post right under the op... Checklist of bull#, that's what got most people annoyed. Then of course came more claims of doom, nibiru etc or asserting that a 3.5 earthquake that did 0 dmg is somehow signs of impending doom etc, he derailed his own topic tyvm.
edit on 20-2-2011 by darkest4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
what the heck is up with all these earthquake posts?

seriously....

Maybe it's because i'm from the west coast but earthquakes are common all over the world. Why then is it a big deal that a 3.5 happen in florida or new madrid?

those are tiny and insignificant. although, they might signal a bigger one to come, it still is not very news worthy, yet.

does anyone else find it strange that there has been a lot of earthquake posts lately? Specially, about earthquakes that are rather insignificant? if i was a little bit crazier i'd almost think people are trying to scare the masses on purpose....and we all know what that means a disinfo op in progress.....

anyone else feeling the same?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by gator1177

As far as the New Madrid ones...to me its more the number of quakes centered in one small area that has me watching them...when you start getting that many quakes something is waving a flag saying look at me.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
The thing that makes earthquakes more of a concern in the middle part of the country is that it is a whole different beast than what happens out on the west coast. The New Madrid Seismic Zone has the potential to cripple the country in a way in which recovery would be long and difficult to say the very least.

If something on the scale of what happened in 1811-12 were to happen today, it would get very ugly very quickly for everyone in the entire nation.

The work shows that applying hazard models to continental interior fault systems that have been designed for plate boundaries is likely to be inadequate, said Eric Calais, a geophysicist at Purdue University, who also is a scientific adviser helping revamp a disaster preparedness plan for Haiti.

"When it comes to earthquakes in plate interiors, one truly has to think out of the box and be able — and willing — to abandon plate boundary concepts," he said.

Source

The pressures released in one area do not necessarily release pressure on the entire system, it only reallocates the pressure throughout. Imagine dropping a dinner plate on the ground and then reassembling the pieces. if you were to push at a specific piece, you might get movement over on the other side of the plate without ever touching that piece.

In the Sand Andreas, you have one plate sliding past another plate, in the NMSZ you have pieces of one large plate having pressure applied to it in various ways,

If there are a series of earthquakes throughout the region you might just want to start paying a little closer attention.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

like what happened in san fran in 89?

its a fault zone, and yes the biggest quake ever recorded in the US happened at new madrid.... and it is to be watched.

However, this isnt just about new madrid...this is about earthquakes in general...hence this thread is about a florida earthquake and a 3.5 one at that (which should be monitored)....but hundreds of tiny earthquakes happen everyday( mild exaggeration)

heres a website keep an eye on it, its pretty cool doesnt just show earthquakes but a plethora of info

look at me!!!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by gator1177

I remember watching that unfold on TV, scared the crap out of me. Was on a date and at Bennigan's and all of a sudden everyone in the entire restaurant went silent and was absolutely absorbed. My heart goes out to you if you were there at the time and were directly affected. I did not mean to downplay the severity of that event.

Thing is as it's more rocky the energy of the quake is dissipated more quickly than would be the case in the NMSZ. The entire area is a long valley thats been filled in with sedimentation for eons. If seismic energy in sufficient amounts were released in that area, the waves would bounce back and forth in that valley and turn all of the 'solid land' to the consistency of pudding.

And then set it to quivering.

I live in the Gulf Coast and if this thing went off, I do not think that the place my house sits would be above water for long, thus my concern.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Earthquakes happen even in middle of plates. I remember how we had magnitude 3 earthquake here in Finland last summer. There is nothing unusual in these earthquakes.

en.wikipedia.org...

Intraplate earthquakes are not fully understood, but its normal, and they are typically weaker than earthquakes that happen near faults.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

Prices on food and clothing are rapidly rising. Just yesterday, I went grocery shopping at my usual place. For the money I spent, I only got half of what I would have taken home just two weeks ago. Have you seen gasoline prices lately?? $3.19 for unleaded here in Indiana, perhaps rising to over $4.00 by April.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Ok this is completely unrelated, but are you referring to $4 a gallon of fuel? I live on an Island off the north west of Scotland and fuel here is sitting at £1.49 a litre, making it $2.42 dollars a litre and this makes it around $9.50 a gallon!!! Totally off topic and first post, I do apologise but I have to say I get more than a little fed up listening to the prices over the water being high when we pay nearly 4 times as much.

Back on topic, there has been increased seismic activity all over the place with a number of small quakes experienced in Britain lately also. Im not about to start shouting "the end is nigh" just yet but with all the strange happenings worldwide lately (not least the vast amount of animal deaths) I am getting more than a little concerned that some information is being withheld from the public. Not sure im swallowing the whole nibiru thing though, pretty damn sure it would be visible in the night sky by now.
edit on 20-2-2011 by Ohboyohboy because: Rant about fuel prices

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

Wow, there actually is proof to the shifting of the poles.
Are you making your answes up? lol
Animals do not just die all the time like this. This is very different.
Oh, and the planet thing was also true.
Haha, peace and light bro.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join