It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 3.5 - WESTERN FLORIDA

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by KANE OG

he even started another thread about the same quake

www.abovetopsecret.com...

whats that about

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimsonninja
fox news says it was just a sonic boom, no doom here.

sonic boom creating a 2.0 + earthquake? that worries me more than an actual natural earthquake.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

If this was really a sonic boom, the USGS would not be reporting it as an earthquake that was reviewed by a seismologist. That is why someone at the USGS reviews earthquakes, so they can discard anything that was not an earthquake, like sonic booms, construction, blasting, military drills, etc.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

This is strange to me just because i've lived in Florida almost all my life and I have never heard of earthquakes in Florida, maybe its just me.

Edgar Cayce said something about most of Florida being submerged. Not thats its going to happen any time soon, if ever.

I actually heard three loud booms that echoed with a bit of intensity about 2 hours ago while I was out back. Although I dont know if that has anything to do with anything.
edit on 18-2-2011 by FPB214 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by KANE OG

just in case you didn't see this

The USGS, the branch of our government that reports and monitors earthquakes, reported a small earthquake in southern Florida yesterday. Well, at least that's what they thought. Residents of the Tampa, Florida area felt strong shocks and sounds of explosions last night and many thought it might have been an earthquake too. But Florida doesn't usually experience these sorts of tremors. The military later released a statement saying that two F-18 fighter jets flying low and then landing at an area Air Force base created the shocks. But, is that the whole story? When a plane flies faster than the speed of sound (about 750 miles per hour) it creates shock wave similar to the sound of thunder that can often be felt and heard on the ground. This sort of blast can trigger seismometers on the ground that are normally used to detect earthquakes. This might be why the USGS thought there was an earthquake in the area when the two planes flew overhead yesterday. But residents aren't sure. Many people thought the blast they felt and heard was far too loud to be a simple sonic boom. I was just watching TV and the house just shook for a long period

heres the page again.

/www.sciencebuzz.org/blog/earthquake_sonic_boom_or_military_test

so the usgs has been know to be wrong
well i wanted to reply to pacificblue
damn mouse

edit on 18-2-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-2-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
In Fort Walton Beach, I'm probably seventy miles away.

We wouldn't know it in this area if one hit as the ground is frequently shaking and rumbling from bombing runs and weapons testing here at the two Air Force Bases.

Interesting, though.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
@hounddoghowlie

I agree that the USGS can be wrong, but I think that they try to be accurate, if possible. Maybe they were not given the information about the fighter jets in a timely manner due to national security reasons.

I did enjoy reading the article that you cited earlier in this thread, as it shows that sometimes things are not what they seem to be. One should always consider every rational explanation for an event, and it is always good to think outside the box.

edit on 19-2-2011 by PacificBlue because: grammar & hit reply too soon, must be the mouse...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

Thankyou, least some people still have some common sense and don't fall for every story/propaganda they read. I get a little stupider everytime I read Human Alien's posts, idk why I do, entertainment value I suppose. The guy actually has said he thinks hes an alien hybrid of sorts, search his post history and you can write a whole pysch101 essay about him. The fact that anyone stars or flags any of his silly claims speaks volumes about the gullibility of our species.

How a minor earthquake, or possible sonic boom, gets linked to "nibiru" and the end of the world and every other pop conspiracy theory he can think of, I'll never understand. The thought processes or lack there of that go into threads like these are just so intellectually unsound and frankly ridiculous that it becomes frustrating to anyone capable of critical thinking.

edit on 19-2-2011 by darkest4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Couple of things bug me about the Sonic boom idea being tossed around here...not saying right or wrong just trying to gain a better understanding

First
reports

how fast and how high would a plane have to fly in order to create a boom to be reported like this?..(assuming reports are true)

Second
Graph

Assuming it was a plane how would it show a decrease in intensity over distance ?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
If it was a sonic boom, wouldn't the depth be 0.0m on the dataset for the event?

In any case. Very interesting area for a quake.. Uncommon. Now, if we see a 3+ quake in South Carolina in the coming days, I may begin to believe the pressure is indeed building up in the North American plate.

We have a full moon tonight too..

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Do you think stories like these are precursors to other things? This was last night.

officials investigate after loud boom reported
edit on 19-2-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Originally posted by crimsonninja
fox news says it was just a sonic boom, no doom here.

You're kidding, right?
That's very humorous. And for that: Skeptic Overlord, tell 'em what they won!!!!!!

What is going on? I've been following quake watch on here and they are saying we've had 45 quakes today in New Zealand but when I went on the NZ site they're only reporting 3 - are they not telling us something?

By the way I haven't felt any rumblings which we do often get.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

Earlier in this thread, another member referred to an article from 2005 that mentioned a sonic boom that was originally reported as an earthquake.

Link

Think it was just being discussed as a possiblity earlier, but this time, it appears to be an earthquake.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
Do you think stories like these are precursors to other things? This was last night.

officials investigate after loud boom reported
edit on 19-2-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

On the main page on that site, they added a video follow-up to that story--it was a local rock quarry explosion at night. Nothing major...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Mod is right.

All I am doing is presenting news.

Take from it what you want. Don't beat up the messenger.

Listen, 8 years ago when we talked about Nibiru, people shrugged and thought we were crazy. Now?
It's being PERFECTLY accepted.
The PTB are doing such a great job with conditioning that it's a joke (to many)

I see how this whole thing is being played out and many of you (who aren't already awake) are being played.

Now, does this earthquake have anything to do with anything? Who knows. I suspect it does by all the attention that the New Madrid is getting by both the media and USGS reports.

I personally feel ALL of this is connected. Am I a fear monger? I certainly hope you don't feel that way.
I am VERY in tune to Earth and the environment and although you might not agree with EVERYTHING I present I don't expect to be cyberly attacked.

I am not the bad guy here.
If you don't like me, or my threads or my outlook then why bother even posting in a negative way? You can tell us you disagree but to relentlessly attack--- post after post---- is not only unfair, it defeats the entire purpose of this forum.

I am only reporting and.........trying to add my personal feelings to the threads.
Just tell me you disagree if you do. That will get your message not only across but delivered and read by many!

My standing at ATS is fine so please don't insinuate things you have no idea about.
Bottom line, I mean no harm and by no means am I trying to incite panic.
I just want to help by passing on information (and reports, like UFOs) that come my way that might be of value.

edit on 18-2-2011 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

not sure where you get that nibiru is perfectley accepted,lol its almost as big a hoax as the whole haarp thing.
i have watched your threads go from asking questions to just posting news to what they are now wich is doom and "the sky is falling" threads, and just like this one your not just reporting you are defending your doom threads tooth and nail, so sorry quakes happen here in florida so i dont think this is much of an event.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Gixxer

Can you provide any links to earthquakes in Florida in recent times...I have been looking and can't find much history?
I am not talking about any way out in the Gulf, but those within 50 miles or so of the state? anything since 1940's?
Thanks

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I am in Saint Augustine, Florida and I didn't feel a thing. Does that mean I'm safe now? lol

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Magnitude 3.5 - WESTERN FLORIDA

earthquake.usgs.gov

Earthquake Details

* This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude 3.5
Date-Time

* Friday, February 18, 2011 at 23:15:34 UTC
* Friday, February 18, 2011 at 05:15:34 PM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 30.180°N, 87.848°W
Depth 5 km (3.1 miles) set by location program
Region WESTERN FLORIDA
Distances 60 km (35 miles) SSE of Mobile, Alabama
65 km (40 miles) WSW of Pensacola, Florida
70 km (45 miles) ESE of Pascagoula, Mississippi
(visit the link for the full news article)

Florida is atop a bit of continental crust that used to be a part of northwestern Africa. It sort of just got pushed into the position it now occupies the last time Africa bumped America. It is joined to greater north America but no doubt there are many faults in and around the area where the two actually meet. I would expect that an occasional shallow quake would be normal. Another possibility is the result of erosion. As land masses wash away they get lighter and so are raised a bit from below. There is always a balance going on. No biggie.

Don't make too much of it. It amounts to nada I'm thinking.
edit on 19-2-2011 by trailertrash because: typo

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

....Just 2 days ago, I was re-reading an article about the earthquake in the gulf of Mexico back in 2006. news.nationalgeographic.com...

Been wondering if the fracture theory from the comet collision in the gulf is true?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join