It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The more I read more I become skeptic

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I find that ATS does not make skeptics, but rather it makes "educated followers". Whereas one may have initially become fascinated and intrigued by most any video or article concerning UFOs, ATS teaches the individual to think critically for themself first and foremost. The great members here show us all what to look for, who to look for and most importantly, who to stay away from.

The end result is in fact that more often than not the evidence put forth is debunked or outright laughed at, but this is in fact a good thing. I say this because for every 100 awful Jerusalem videos there is a gem of a video which has no discernable explanation. That one gem is why we are here. To be able to filter down to the meat and potatoes is essential when dealing with something as fringe and subjective as UFOs.

ATS is an essential tool in research and learning about many things. Luuuuv me some ATS!

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
There's a lot of garbage out there to turn people away from serious discussion about UFOs.
The same can be said about any discussions on ATS though, be it UFOs, 911, Reptilians,
Dulce or HAARP. I think it's a good thing people can come here, lay it all out on the table
in front of everyone & get down to business. 95% of it is BS I agree, but sometimes
you get a couple good nuggets.

Sometimes it's necessary to maybe take a breather.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by don rumsfeld

Exactly! If you don't take a breather now and again...................you may end up posting in the 2012 forum! OH NO!!!!!! NIBOOROO>>

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Op, I agree with you mostly.

But I'm straight down the middle, I don't believe or disbelieve where as before I came on ATS I strongly wanted to believe.

On the one hand, you have questions like why has an alien abduction never been caught on home security or set up by an alleged multiple abductee to capture the next time it happens.

Then on the other hand I have the UFO that I saw a few years ago with a news film crew who were doing a story on something I was doing at the time and filmed it. Now it was just a light very high in the sky going around in circles, but nothing known could have done that at the speed it was going in circles. Far from a metal disc whizzing across the sky but a UFO none the less.

This is an important topic that looks at this time, something to be sat on for awhile and digested while we wait for all the hoaxers to have their fun and hopefully eventually F off.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
internet culture is evolving - and lets say 10 years ago you could find fascinating articles about ufo's and enjoy them - now we have all this hoaxing and other "wana be's" who destroy the comunity. Sceptics (i mean these who would debunk ufo wich landed on thier own fromt yard) will allways drill baloons and planes into your head.

I have learned to ignore some of them on that basis - besides CGI is so good now that you need to really look to see its doctored (besides the obvious ones).

I allways ignore videos of "free-floating" UFO's because these can be anything - remeber last year? - baloon disc shaped wich made news cause people thaught kid is on board. If not this incident i bet the "daddy" would let it go and made quite a story.

im only interested in wierd acting UFO's (hight speed turns and stuff) - and these are rare now. Israel UFO was one but that was obvious hoax (atleast for me)

Dont give up. and read other forums as well

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by blackcube
astral projection (BS),

Just because you can't do it doesn't make it BS. I suspect you were a skeptic before you started

I agree with that. If I had not had previous Out of Body experiences/astral projection, I would think whoever was describing the episodes to me was straight up lying or seriously off their nut.

Fortunately I had no pre-conceived ideas before I had the first experience.

To the OP. I think what happens to many hopeful believers is this:

Before learning a lot about the subject and the individual events it might be easier to be naive and believe much more of the stories out there.

When you come to a place like this, where there are so many dedicated enthusiasts, you begin to see which cases hold water and which ones don't. There are far more that don't carry merit. SO when some of the previous stories you may have heard are learned to be fake it can be discouraging. Especially when you begin to see the staggering amount that are fake.

It might seem hopeless that there is any real events occuring out there. There are! Whether they are able to be confirmed as ET events might be unclear, what is clear is the fact that there are undeniable events out there that can not be explained by rational logic.

Having all your beliefs about the subject stripped down might be a good thing in the long run, as you can build up your personal knowledge about new cases with facts that you can rely on personally and use that to make future opinions about the topic. If you are stripped down and find you are no longer interested enough to start looking for the real 'finds' it might not be a bad thing either, many spend years searching only to end up right where they started.

Hopefully you can get a first hand experience of something that is absolutely undeniable to yourself, then it won't matter what anyone here, or anywhere else, thinks.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jake93
I always think of UFO's like Ghosts the same. People who WANT to see them, see them. People who DON'T want to see them, never see them.

And sorry to totally destroy everyones dreams, but check this website out:

www.circlemakers.org...

I know it crushed mine, lol

So, you are saying the the only people who see ufo's are the ones who want to see them? That is a load of rubbish my friend. To disregard the subject just like that just shows that you have not looked into the subject of ufo's. There are many great cases and sightings out there. The militery sightings alone justify the need for more investigation into the subject.

Yes, there is alot of crap out there when it comes to the ufo subject, and it gets annoying when we come across the people who believe everything they come across. But its also annoying whe people like you make statements like this!

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I believe the more you research, after you take out all the reptilian/channeling/galactic frauds/etc, you realize it's all contradictory. I really love Jacques Valle's books, he basically thinks the UFO activity is purposely being presented to seem like an outer space intelligence is visiting us. Whether it's the government or a third party that creates this deception, or both.

Another poster summed it up to almost being on the level of "paranormal", I think that's the perfect comparison. The idea of space visitors is way too simple for the amount of testimonies and odd occurrences. The deeper you dig you realize that none if it really makes any damn sense, but that there is something slightly off. Unfortunately for mainstream and one sided thinking UFO fans this will be the subject's downfall.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by blackcube

Well, what did you expect? The greatest mystery of all time unveiled at your feet...?

When panning for gold, one must sift through a whole load of crap...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
completely agree...

having been interested in this topic for 15 years, ive watched the videos, read the books, studied the 'secret' documents, listened to the testimony from pilots and astronauts and listened to the 'experts'....

it is all complete bull. There is NO compelling evidence that our planet has EVER been visited by ET... NONE!!

The only people who beleive the evidence put forward is genuine proof are (usually) kids, who havent spent enough time researching and then go shouting at 'the sheeples' to Wake The F Up..!!

I would urge anyone who is just getting into the subject to stop, right now...and concentrate on REAL issues and not waste any more time....sorry.

Much Love
Stu

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
I say this because for every 100 awful Jerusalem videos there is a gem of a video which has no discernable explanation. That one gem is why we are here.

For the love of God man! Point me to one of these gems!

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by blackcube
astral projection (BS),

Just because you can't do it doesn't make it BS. I suspect you were a skeptic before you started

Agreed, Zorgon.
AP is indeed very real and more powerful and enjoyable than '___'. I would try to convince blacktube to keep at it so that he/she may experience a little bit more of him/herself and about the spiritual mysteries. Alas that would be an exercise in futility considering the lack of seriousness beforehand. Some people are just of the mind, that if something isn't black or white or 100 percent understood or thoroughly mainstream, that it must be BS. I wish everybody could experience the awesomeness that is astral projection.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jake93
I always think of UFO's like Ghosts the same. People who WANT to see them, see them. People who DON'T want to see them, never see them.

And sorry to totally destroy everyones dreams, but check this website out:

www.circlemakers.org...

I know it crushed mine, lol

Wouldn't exactly say that's true... I want to see both of those things and I never have. Any time I see a new "UFO" picture I don't assume it's a UFO, no matter how much I want it to be one.

As for crop circles, I was always a major skeptic on them. Then about 10-15 years ago I saw the documentary about circle makers and that put it over the edge for me.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I've been lurking this site for years. When I first came here, I was really excited about all the ufo-videos and stuff. Nowadays I don't care about these at all. I didn't even watch the Dome Of The Rock ufo-videos before a long time after it was classified as a hoax, and that was only because my friend linked it to me. I just can't get anything out of these videos. They offer me nothing. Nowadays I'm more interested in ancient texts and testimonials from "credible" people, military data etc. There's absolutely nothing that could make me a non-believer. I will always believe in alien life, no matter what, but I'm a lot more sceptical about "evidence" than I used to be.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

I agree with you to an extent; there are a lots of threads and comments here on ATS that muddy the waters in regards to a large number of subjects and the Alien/UFO forum seems to get more than most.

However, you cannot deny what you have seen with your own eyes and on more than one occasion I've witnessed UFO's (in the true sense of the world, unidentifiable flying objects) in the sky.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by discostu123
completely agree...

having been interested in this topic for 15 years, ive watched the videos, read the books, studied the 'secret' documents, listened to the testimony from pilots and astronauts and listened to the 'experts'....

it is all complete bull.

So in other words you have ALL the answers to the UFO mystery ? You'd have to, to be able to positively dismiss everything as Bull. To say that, you have to be just as delusional as the people that believe everything they hear and see. That every weird shadow and rock in a picture zoomed x300 is evidence of aliens. Like that rock that looked like C-3P0's head on Mars.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin

ATS has made me more of a skeptic than anything else in the world.

I used to 100% believe in UFOs...now I have serious doubts.

Me too, its a good thing, although not as fun as used to be when I first started looking into these topics

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I had the same hope when I joined ATS too. But so many of the threads are based on Youtube vids, a way of seeing what some one has seen, but most videos are not very good. Plus the really ridiculous threads that have Skeptics rolling in laughter and those of us who are truly looking for the truth cringing. What is really sad is there are people out there who have actually seen something and have not been able to get the real deal out to the public. Because...film has been confiscated, (know someone this happened to) and the Military scared them to death or no camera at the time. Or a camera and object too far away to really see what it was. Or they get ridiculed for telling it or afraid to tell it because everyone will think they are crazy. ..even this..lose their job.
If you have become a Skeptic..congratulations!!! Mission Accomplished. Soon TPTB won't have to worry about the public ever finding out, because everyone quit believing in Santa Claus. (Moon Mission description of a bogey)
The moon pics are just too fuzzy or are too far away to really see if anything is there. If there is anything on the Moon, you can believe we will not be allowed access to those images.
There are some really good researchers on here..don't give up yet.
And on the positive side.we do need the skeptics, they do clear up a lot of junk..sometimes.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu
reply to post by WingedBull

These:

www.disclose.tv...

I'm still confused about which passages makes it clear that we have been visited by aliens.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I know there are craft unknown buzzing our skies and UFO's are real. To deny the body of evidence is absurd. However im more skeptical of reports then ever because of hoaxers. I never imagined there was so many hoaxers going in to the subject.It is disheartening at times, they make it harder then it has to be. With all the new ager lunatics to top it off. They base everything on belief itself.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join