It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK - The TV License Conspiracy

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I have a xbox and can watch sky on it do I have to pay? Lol

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

I lived in the UK for two years and not once did i pay for the TV license. They kept mailing me the bill and stated a fine of 1200pounds or something and I just threw them in the rubbish. Never paid, Never got arrested.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I've never had a license and I get they letters every month I just throw them out, when the guy's come to the door, you don't have to let them in so there's nothing they can do a lot of people don't realise that they put themselves in it by letting them in.

In order to prosecute you:

The TV license inspector has to come into the room where the TV is

He has to document what channel you are watching and the programme and the time

He cannot get you if he sees the TV through window or hears the TV from the front door, people don't realise this and put their hands up thinking they are caught.

Don't let them in, and don't sign anything or admit anything just politely tell them you don't have a TV and close the door and that's it there is nothing else they can do...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Niall197
This thread's better suited for the Money Savings Expert Forum rather than here.

The amount of flags and reply's seem to suggest that this thread is indeed in the corrct place.
If it upsets you I suggest you don't follow this thread and maybe get some counselling.

I agree that the British TV liciencing is a conspiracy to defraud the British public out of money, or get criminal records for not complying.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

Really I might find myself in court ? I don't think so sister Oh no no no ! I have a fishing rod but i don't need a fishing licence because I don't fish, same goes for telly the only crime is to turn it on and that has to be proved, so there

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I begrudge paying a TV license because I also pay a monthly cable subscription. Fair enough if you are using freeview as you don't pay a fee for that but if you are a cable subscriber then in my view you shouldn't have to pay the license on top of this.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
There's little doubt that there is a strong feeling about the TV license, and the underhand ways they try to enforce (or force) the laws regarding this.

I have a license and I'm happy to pay it - others may not be, but that's up to them.

The point is, that people are being targetted AGAIN by a faceless company that is answerable to no-one, and which acts like a private police force.

It's the same with wheel clampers, shop security guards, and many other pseudo law enforcement situations.

Deal with them all the same way - they have no powers, they just like to PRETEND they have, and this should tell you everything you need to know about the people in the role.

It is only the police who you are obliged to give certain details to, and not even then if you exercise your right to remain silent.

Tell all others NOTHING, give them nothing, but remain polite and calm at all times.

Exercise your rights - don't let some dork with a pseudo badge kid you out of them.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by birdyat101

yup, the back of mine states game consoles look at my earlier thread.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by Beyond Creation
Only a small amount of the license fee is awarded to the BBC, the rest is held by the government.

It is technically a tax albeit one of stealth.

No, all of it goes to the BBC Trust. The Government then tops it off with the fees for those who get them free.

The statement I made was from a discussion I had with an employee/enforcer of TV licencing. I enquired about the details of how the fee was received and that's what he told me (whilst he gave me a caution).

No offence, but I'm more willing to believe his statement over yours.

He also made a point, as an account of his experience, of mentioning how alien the concept of TV licencing is to UK resident foreigners/immigrants.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Serizawa
reply to post by budski

I lived in the UK for two years and not once did i pay for the TV license. They kept mailing me the bill and stated a fine of 1200pounds or something and I just threw them in the rubbish. Never paid, Never got arrested.

You were lucky my friend. The BBC will usually pass on your debt to a retrieval firm who will then instruct debt collectors to visit your home to collect the money you owe. If your not in the collectors will leave you a polite note and then inform you that you now owe another £150 because they visited your home. They will continue to do this until your debt goes through the roof! A £145 television license can easily become a £1,000 or more debt within months of you refusing to pay your license. Its legalised extorsion.
And to make it worse, if you even raise a hand to stop the bailiffs from forcibly entering your home to remove your belongings equivical of what you owe you will then be arrested and hauled in front of a judge who will treat as if you are Ronnie Biggs.
I guess you can't beat the system but you can try to hang on in there to the very last minute before begrudgingly coughing up the money.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

The BBC have a royal charter...That means they cannot accept money from a foreign goverment.
Since the BBC has accepted money from the EU, they have in fact commited treason.

Anyone paying the BBC is aiding and abetting treason...
Any person acting on the behalf of the BBC collecting money for licenes are commitimg treason.

Knowledge is power...

TPUC.org

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

The TV license is required if and only if you receive a TV signal. You can have wall to wall tv's and not have a license providing you don't receive a TV signal. The BBC agents that chase down non payers have no right of entry. Never answer the door to them. Never listen to their threats. Don't talk to or acknowledge them.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Admitting you break the law on a site that will happily turn over your details is madness.

If you really don't watch tv then block up the sockets and remove the receivers.
edit on 20-2-2011 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

I do not watch TV and advocate not to use zombie-machine everyone else as well.
Inspectors have visited me few times and they left empty handed

Good subject you brought up - a violence is becoming more and more legal in Britain.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by eddiebelfast
reply to post by budski

The TV license is required if and only if you receive a TV signal. You can have wall to wall tv's and not have a license providing you don't receive a TV signal. The BBC agents that chase down non payers have no right of entry. Never answer the door to them. Never listen to their threats. Don't talk to or acknowledge them.

This is correct and it is confirmed here on the TV licensing website - www.tvlicensing.co.uk... . I can't believe how many people think you need one just because you own a TV. In the past, when I did own a TV purely for watching DVDs I phoned them up to let them know and they left me alone. Nowadays, I just watch DVDs on my laptop and don't bother with a TV at all.
edit on 20-2-2011 by forestgrump because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I've always felt that you should be able to opt out of the bbc stations just like movie or sports channels. The only thing I watch on the BBC is Family Guy or the odd wildlife documentary. They could even put a code on the license that you'd have to input on the BBC iplayer in order to gain access so that's another problem solved.

I think this would increase competitivness with the other stations and force the BBC to make better quality programmes instead of paying Johnaton Woss millions. This inturn would more people would actually be willing to pay for the BBCs services and less would be inclined to dodge them. Of course this would take effort so it'll probably never happen. Shame.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
A couple of people I know run a care home for people with learning difficulties, they have 14 clients, each with a portable tv in their own rooms, and large tv in the lounge room they all use. They were told that tv licenses no longer cover the entire property and that each of the clients had to own their own license, when they were told that the clients were on very low income and could not afford to pay for one, they were told, " well that's o.k. you can pay for it for them ". It would have been about £2000, but they declined and after a few months of letters and phone calls threatening them, the matter just fizzled out. It appears that the license people are right in their claim, but it seems morally wrong, the people there don't own their own tvs, they are provided by the carer as an extra comfort, but on checking with the independent carers services, they were told that they should legally have 15 licenses for the property. Crazy or what !

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jean59

Sorry to disappoint you but the last thing Tony Blair did before he left Government was to rescind the Treason Laws. There is now no Law of Treason in force in the UK:

Now I wonder why he did that¿

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
It is actually easy to get around the Law about TV Licencing:
I have an enooooormous dish on my roof: the biggest in the Town. I watch BBC, ITV, and Sky without a Licence.

Do as I do:

Move to Spain

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by NonKonphormist

Originally posted by Niall197
This thread's better suited for the Money Savings Expert Forum rather than here.

The amount of flags and reply's seem to suggest that this thread is indeed in the corrct place.
If it upsets you I suggest you don't follow this thread and maybe get some counselling.

I agree that the British TV liciencing is a conspiracy to defraud the British public out of money, or get criminal records for not complying.

A conspiracy ? I thought a conspiracy was an arrangement between two parties to break the law at some point in the future. Perhaps they've changed the definition of what a conspiracy was since I was at school ? I see people here throw that word around without caution, they've no idea what the hell the word means & just tag it onto everything & anything with which they disagree, much you like you've done.

The law requires those who watch live tv in the United Kingdom to buy a tv licence. It's only if you fail to do so, by your own choice, that you get a criminal record.

The only conspiracy I can see in this thread is between those freeloaders here who watch live television broadcasts & who are encouraging each other not to buy a tv licence. In effect I'm subsidising their non-compliance with my own payments having to be increased to take account of the shortfall in tv licence revenue.

Yeah, freeloaders, I said that ... and mean it.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join