It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK - The TV License Conspiracy

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

actually I think they got him on the fact he listened to BBC radio

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
The other thing to bear in mind is purchasing a new TV.

Here in France we have licences too and when a person buys a new TV they are asked to give their name and address for a guarantee and payment is asked for with a credit card.

I had a TV to buy for a friend who has a holiday home here and off I went to the store armed with cash.

When I went to pay for it, the assistant stared at the wad of readies I presented and then looked at the form which I thought was the guarantee. She looked at me and I smiled.

For starters, she wanted me to pay with a credit card...I told her I don't have one and would like to pay with real money. I believed it was my right and she reluctantly accepted. There were no conditions posted in the store to say otherwise, particularly for a TV.

She then began to ask me for personal details. I told her the TV was for a friend and that I wanted the guarantee in my friends name....she also agreed to that, but when she asked me for the address, all I could tell her was the town. It's all I knew...she wouldn't accept "the house next to the second hand shop"

I refused to give MY details.

After much discussion with her colleague (possibly the manager, don't know) they agreed they had no choice but to leave some of the details blank. After all that grief, I then discover that the paperwork is for THEIR records, not part of the guarantee. The guarantee was seperate, needed no personal details and was stapled to a standard till reciept given to me for use if there was a problem with the TV.

They are in league with the authorities gathering information for a database to act against anyone who doesn't have a current licence imo, and they fool purchasers into thinking all the details they hand over are standard procedures when buying. Rubbish!

I hate TVs, I haven't owned one in over a decade and get great pleasure in ticking the box on my annual rates bill to say so. This also includes having an ariel on the house even if you don't have a TV! A "reciever" has many possibilities and that is what they charge for.

The tax on my internet connection just went up too because TV can be recieved by a computer. HA! not out here in the sticks it can't but I still have to pay the extra just like all the other victims. What a con.

Oh dear....I started to rant.

Chuck 'em out the window folks

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
There are some EU countries asking for a TV tax, however as far as I am aware, BBC is the greediest . What I wanted to point is the illegal character of this tax when viewed trough the EU competition laws, BBC obviously not playing fair.
Unfortunately, a good link I'v read some time ago, is gone missing - now it can be only accessed via the Google cash records:

link

edit on 18-2-2011 by Romanian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by squizzy

On his TV or through an actual radio? The requirement for a radio license was got rid of in the 70's..

Very odd story that..

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Was on his radio but apparently when they scrapped the radio license, btw I am old enough to remember them lol it was sort of combined with the TV license i believe

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romanian
There are some EU countries asking for a TV tax, however as far as I am aware, BBC is the greediest . What I wanted to point is the illegal character of this tax when viewed trough the EU competition laws, BBC obviously not playing fair.

Throught the EU, TV licenses are already common and the UK's is about mid of the table when it comes to price. In Switzerland, it's the equivalent of around 450 Euro's, with many more countries coming in way above the UK's.

Here is a useful Wiki page on the various prices charged throughout Europe. You will also notice that licenses are common throughout the world as a whole.

EDIT: Also, it doesn't violate EU competition law.
edit on 18/2/11 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by squizzy

On his TV or through an actual radio? The requirement for a radio license was got rid of in the 70's..

Very odd story that..

Tell us the story stu

I haven't heard that one...

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Actually just got mine out to look.
It says...TV equipment means television receiving equipment, such as a TV set, computer,mobile phone,games console,digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.
When the fk did they add mobile phones and games consoles to it, that was done on the quiet

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Oh,
I meant the story about being done for listening to Radio, but if it was way back in the murky depths of time then I suppose it could have happened. I didn't mean the Radio license story was odd

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by squizzy

I use my HTC smartphone as a modem for my laptop when at work, so in theory I can watch TV in that matter.

But, it only applies if you use those devices to view or record live (or almost live) broadcasts. Merely owning a moby doesn't mean you need a license for it.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

I remember a similar urban myth.

People are gullible.

Was nice talking to you tonight, even if you are a red necked expletive

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by squizzy

Did they get in the new condition that if you can angle a mirror just so that in the summer months you can sit in an arm chair in your house and view the television in somebody else's living room? Summer months because you can have the windows open and just ask them to turn the volume up a bit.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

If you use it for TV progs them apparently you do if you dont have a TV in the house that covers it.
How long efore we need 1 to go for a p!ss?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Haha! Red knecked expletive? Unsure how to take that

This is not a second line...

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

First time I have ever been called a red neck rofl, as I am English I find this very amusing

Maybe it is because it is 3.17am I forget to be ladylike

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
first I'm hearing of this stuff. Are people in the UK allowed to own tasers?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by squizzy

Haha, I never even knew you were a lady! I assumed from previous encounters you were a bloke...Sorry!

To the other chappy, no, we can't own tazers in the UK, but please don't start a whole debate about weapons control, there must be 400,000 threads on that on ATS already.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I always wait for as long as is humanly possible before I pay mine. I get the warning letter and then the "Your home is now under investigation" then I wait another month and then I feel forced to pay it. Its due in August but never gets paid before the end of November!
Its legalised extortion! I would much rather the beeb show adverts and abolish the license fee altogether...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Well I have like 4 TV's in my home...if I lived in the UK would I need a license for each one? What about those mini-tv's which can fit in a pocket? They use the same technology to receive the television signal, I suppose I need some sort of radio license for that as well? What about the home experiments I conduct which involve radio transmitters and receivers? I need a license for that too? I really am thankful that I live in Australia some times.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhizPhiz
Well I have like 4 TV's in my home...if I lived in the UK would I need a license for each one?

No, it's one license per household.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join