It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK - The TV License Conspiracy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Please flag this and bring it to the attention of others.

This is important.

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by scottlpool2003

If you have a TV and you have the internet, you are legally obliged to pay the fee.

I will also point out it isn't just the BBC who benefit from the license fee, but Channel 4 and S4C also receive money as well. Not many people know that Channel 4 is a state owned broadcaster.

That said, I agree with the OP's premise about the enforcement. To date, not a single person taken to court of license evasion has had any evidence collected from such "detectors" ever presented and it is widely believed they don't even exist. I am a telecoms engineer by trade and whilst I am by no means an epxert in this particular field, I have a hard time coming up with a technical way such detectors could possibly work.

Hi Stu, good point about C4 - I forgot they were subsidised in my mad rail against the enforcement agents.

Ok, I'm having a bit of a rant, but REALLY people, they are taking the mickey, and playing us for fools.

Plus, how would you like your old mum or granny being intimidated by these people?

It's not on.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8

Originally posted by mr-lizard
That's technically wrong though, as you don't need to pay for a license if you just have a TV.

It might be morally and ethically wrong, but technically, it is right.

If you own a device that could be used to watch the BBC, you must pay the license. For black and white viewing, you pay less.

Which begs the question; when are they going to increase the license fee to suit the new HD/3D televisions?

I wouldn't put it past them!

No it's not mate.

I researched it myself. Owning a TV is not a prerequisite for getting a license.

You don't need a license unless you intend to view television.

www.tvlicensing.co.uk...

You need a TV Licence if...
You watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV
This is the case whatever device you use – whether a laptop, PC, mobile phone, games console, digital box, VHS/DVD recorder or anything else. It also includes programmes you watch online at the same time as they’re being shown on TV, for example live sport. (However, if your mobile device isn’t plugged in, you’ll still be covered by your parents’ licence.)
And you live in halls of residence Your hall probably has a licence covering communal areas but you’ll also need to be covered for your room.
Or you live in a shared house
If there’s a joint tenancy agreement for the whole house, you may only need one licence. However, you may need your own licence if your accommodation is self-contained – i.e. you have exclusive access to washing facilities or you have your own entrance to the property. If you’re not sure whether or not you need one, please contact us.

If you have a separate tenancy agreement for your room, you’ll need to be covered by a separate licence.

BUT

You don’t need a TV Licence if
You don’t watch or record television programmes as they’re being shown on TV – on any device

If you don’t watch or record television programmes, or you only stream TV programmes online after they’ve been broadcast – through on-demand services like YouTube, BBC iPlayer and 4oD – you don’t need to be covered by a
TV Licence.
Or all of these are true
Your out-of-term address is covered by a
TV Licence
AND you only use TV receiving equipment that is powered solely by its own internal batteries
AND you have not connected it to an aerial or plugged it into the mains.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
also

www.tvlicensing.co.uk...

What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games console? Do I still need a licence?

You do not need a TV Licence if you only use your TV to watch videos and DVDs or as a monitor for your games console.
You can tell us that you do not need a TV Licence by using our online declaration form. One of our Enforcement Officers may visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Nice one Mr-L

That's exactly the kind of education we need.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogertom
But i hate the bbc, becacause we have no choice in the matter. As you know if we own a video, but no tele, we still have to pay the licence fee, because it is capable of picking up the signal.

No, you don't have to pay unless you're recording said broadcasts for later viewing. If you have a TV with a DVD player and do not hook it up to an aerial or other receiver system, you do not have to pay the fee.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogertom
But i hate the bbc, becacause we have no choice in the matter. As you know if we own a video, but no tele, we still have to pay the licence fee, because it is capable of picking up the signal.

No, you don't have to pay unless you're recording said broadcasts for later viewing. If you have a TV with a DVD player and do not hook it up to an aerial or other receiver system, you do not have to pay the fee.

So it should really be called the broadcasting license, rather than the TV license.

It's just another example of corporate fraud.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Yeah, I understand that

My point is, how do they know who is and who isn't using their televisions? If they know you own a television, they will give you some hassle.

It's the exact same with laptops and computers etc.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Yes. The license is for receiving broadcasts.

Not for owning a TV.

They tried to screw me over, but a nicely worded letter and some quotes from the website soon shut them up.

Incidentally, I now have a license which covers my house, and I occasionally watch documentaries, comedies etc - but most of TV is rotten these days.

But don't let them scam you.

If you have a TV for DVD's, Xbox, etc... you don't need a license.

BUT - if you watch TV, then you do.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Or Broadcast Reception License...

In the grand scheme of things though, I do not object to paying it. The BBC makes quality programming (by and large better than any other channel) and paying £12 a month is a pittance, really.

I'd pay £12 a month if the BBC did nothing but make Top Gear! Love it...

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

They simply visit every address on their database that doesn't have a license.

Then they use their funny tactics.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

reply to post by budski

Or Broadcast Reception License...

In the grand scheme of things though, I do not object to paying it. The BBC makes quality programming (by and large better than any other channel) and paying £12 a month is a pittance, really.

I don't have a problem with the programming or the license - I object to the underhand tricks of the "enforcement officers"

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Yep, I have the full works from Virgin media and, despite having about 200 channels, it is mostly crap. I watch Top gear on the BBC, some documentaries on the BBC and NatGeo etc, plus my South park fix is satisfied by Comedy Central. Apart from that, it is a big bag of arse.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Aye, I get your point, just thought I'd throw that in for the BBC haters (never understood that) and people who refuse to pay at all, despite watching TV.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

From experience, I can confirm this is completely correct. I've seen them descend upon households with no means of reception, simply because of that fact and because they cannot someone would not want a TV.

The fact they collect addresses when purchasing a TV simply adds evidence to this premise - they want to know who has a TV and no license. Which begs the question, what worth the licensing vans?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Check this link:

Conatins lots of valuable info:

www.centreforcitizenship.org...

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

reply to post by budski

Aye, I get your point, just thought I'd throw that in for the BBC haters (never understood that) and people who refuse to pay at all, despite watching TV.

Like I said in the OP, the BBC make some truly wonderfull programmes.

Some of the nature stuff is amazing, some great films and home grown drama and comedy.

I would never complain about the content - but the crap that this private company tries to pull crosses the line.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

We should pay a reduced rate for top gear, the BBC makes a fair amount of money of a little channel called Dave, who in turn then replayed the episodes so often I think I have actually woken up quoting reviews from 4 years ago

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Top gear goes to over 100 countries, and is watched by nearly 3 BILLION people.

It's licensed abroad, and the BBC takes a cut of advertising revenue as well as a flat fee from the countries it sells the programme to.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

5 years back, i told the guy at the door, my tv is not hooked up, and the video player i had then, was only used to play my collection of films. he came in and saw that was so. but then said " im sorry but we only have your word that you will not hook your tv up to the ariel or use your video in any other way.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join