It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Was the CIA Blind in Egypt?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Why Was the CIA Blind in Egypt?

www.time.com

If Egypt's military coup d'etat turns out badly, one thing we can count on is years of finger pointing in Washington under the banner of "Who lost Egypt?" But there will also be the question why the CIA failed to predict events there.

The first, obvious explanation is that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have been a giant black hole sucking in CIA operatives and resources from around the world. The exact figure is classified, but I'd guess a fully two thirds of CIA officers overseas are tied u
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
My first question upon seeing this article was, "Was the CIA Blind in Egypt?" If they weren't, would they ever really tell us? Would we ever really know? It's just a big assumption on this writer's part. An assumption or an intentional smokescreen. Obvious explanation? Okay. The first less obvious explanation may well be that they were involved. But say they weren't. Say they were just honestly blindsided—why?

Interesting questions raised in this article by a ME former CIA field officer. Unfortunately, not many interesting answers. Just more questions. But that shouldn't surprised us. After all, it is the CIA. Seems like a waste of space to me.

www.time.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 2/18/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
The CIA probably fanned the flames. Or started the fire. They surely weren't blind. Who knows these days....
edit on 18-2-2011 by SnakeShot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Mubarak was never off the CIA radar, he was bought and paid for by the NWO or the powers that be, he was controlled and in line controlled the populace of egypt, up untill the revolt that overthrew him.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I don't think anybody could have predicted that, that many people would come together for that long of time without any real violence for a common cause.

However, millions of people protest around the world every year, not all of them make the U.S. mainstream news 24/7 like Egypt did. Yes, the Egyptian one was special, but the people pulling the strings wanted us to be on the Egyptian people's side and against Mubarak. "Think Mubarak cut off the internet... Mubarak's thugs beat us up." They wanted us to really care and cheer for the people of Egypt.

If the U.S. MSM news didn't covering it 24/7 and with a "for the people" attitude, Mubarak wouldn't of had so much pressure on him to step down. He possibly could have ridden out the protest and then made a few concessions to appease the crowds instead of stepping down completely. Just think how much more inspiration and motivation the media's coverage gave the Egyptian people knowing that the international press was on their side. It would make them feel like what they were doing was completely correct and revolutionary.

I‘m not sure if it was the CIA's plan all along, but they definitely took full advantage of the opportunity. Especially, considering we got Mubarak to hand over all of his power to the military, our military, and then we kept a military coup from happening against us with Egypt falling completely out of our control. There will be elections, you can bet the CIA and other U.S. foreign interests will invest heavily in a couple candidates, maybe even implant a few of our own.

I do wonder why Time Magazine which is connected to CNN, the main government mouth piece, is trying to distance the CIA from Egypt? Hrmm.

edit on 18-2-2011 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

Great points. So you're voting smokescreen on this article like I am. I imagine there's a lot of smoke being pump into the air about this. I can thoroughly believe they orchestrated or influenced it somehow. What I'm having a bit of trouble with is how. And if they did, did it get away from them or go as planned.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

Great points. So you're voting smokescreen on this article like I am. I imagine there's a lot of smoke being pump into the air about this. I can thoroughly believe they orchestrated or influenced it somehow. What I'm having a bit of trouble with is how. And if they did, did it get away from them or go as planned.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Spinster

I don't know if the U.S had any "control" or not but as an isolationist I believe it should be their problem. We as U.S citizens should leave them do as Egyptians do and Cia should just sit back and gather intel and nothing more..... Its kinda like a man who is jealous and controlling(United States of America) over a girlfriendEgypt), eventually the girlfriend will break up with the tight hand. Then again, If the jealous boyfriend sits back and lets her make her own choices then she will love him more for empowering her. In other words an ally is is qicker to help if it wantsds to instead of forced compliance

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I question the premis. What would you have the CIA do?" Stop the coup? Then people would blame them for meddling. The CIA and anyone else who was paying attention, knew there was trouble brewing fot the last couple of years. The crux of the matter was this: It all came about because Mubarak was getting old and in failing health. He wanted his son to succeed him. The military did not.

The people were not in the streets demanding democracy. Mubarak was the one following the Constitution. The people, ironically, were in the streets demanding that the military stage a coup and oust Mubarak. The Military and the protestors were on the same side. Further, the top Military brass were in Washington, D.C. a couple of days before it all went down.

In my view the CIA knew exactly what was going on. The Egyptian Military orchestrated the whole thing. "The people" wanted a military coup, and that's exactly what they got. Well played. The real question is not the CIA, but whetehr the American administration will once again snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and blow it.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
1) THEY UNDERESTIMATED THE HATE PEOPLE HAD FOR MUBARAK.
2) THEY THOUGHT THAT AFTER THEY GOT THE REFORMS - THEY COULD CONTROL THE CROWDS.
3) THEY CONSIDERED MUBARAK TO BE LOW COLLATERAL LOSS...FOR THE INTRODUCTION OF DEMOCRACY.

THEY DID NOT REALISE THAT THE YOUTH WOULD BRING THE ADULTS...WHO ARE UNCONTROLABLE, ONCE THEY HAD A VOICE IT WAS OVER....
OBAMA SHOULD OF BACKED MUBARAK 110%....SO HE DOESNT BE OUSTED....HIS SLACKNESS TELLS ME THAT THE US DIDNT CARE EITHER WAY

TO ADD - US AGENTS STARTED THIS ONLINE....NOT EGYPTIANS
edit on 18-2-2011 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-2-2011 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
The CIA and Mossad orchestrated the whole thing.

The 80+ year old President was going to be on his way out, the protests were not only allowed it was all orchestrated, The Military was always in control and was going to be in control afterward.

The plan was to inspire similar protests in other Arab nations, especially in Iran, and so far it has worked.

The illusion of democracy can provide many advantages for Israel and the West... When "the people" affect real change in these nations opportunities become available for covert operations and especially infiltration as well as implementation of more desirable agendas.

Egypt has always been an ally of the US, bought and paid for, and though things seem to have changed, it is all a show.

Enjoy the sequels , coming to news broadcasts everywhere, and live on twitter, Facebook.. etc.

edit on 18-2-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

The CIA knows all and then some. But ahhh...military coup. Very interesting angle, and one that seems very logical. Haven't military coups comprised the vast majority of the truly successful coups in history? Well played, indeed, if this is the case. As for the rest (will we snatch defeat), probably.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Based on this take, what's your take on the recent new "willingness" on the part of the U.S. to take a firm stance with Israel? Another smoke screen? Something else?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Agreed. It seems like they wanted Mubarak out without a fight as did the people, so I guess we got what we wanted? Mubarak had billions and billions of dollars and took 50% of all corporate profits, maybe it was a corporate greed coup? Maybe, he was getting to big?

They keep reminding us of the Muslim Brotherhood which nobody knows anything about, except that they are really bad and if the elections were today they would win. It seems like the M.S. is being tagged as the religious party. Maybe, the CIA is setting up Egypt to be the main Middle Eastern democracy not based on religion. They scare the voters that the M.S. could in still Islamic Law, so they will vote to keep Islam out of the Egyptian government hoping other Middle Eastern nations will follow suit. I don't really have a clue on what the overall plan is.

edit on 18-2-2011 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

A lot of the alphabet soup agencies go to foreign countries to facilitate change, beneficial to US interests. Pure and simple. Instead of observing what is going on in order to provide a cogent analysis of the ground truth, they are pressed to make specific changes happen. Under such pressure, observation/prediction take a back seat to results.

I am sure there are those who will argue this but they are merely defending their turf and their efforts. I am guessing the the State Department recall last week had something to do with this.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

Based on this take, what's your take on the recent new "willingness" on the part of the U.S. to take a firm stance with Israel? Another smoke screen? Something else?

Necessary.

Nuff said?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Yes, nuff said
Thank you.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
The Iranians believe the US was behind the last protests there, and that the CIA was attempting to infiltrate their government....

Their paranoia was justified.

That plan failed, so they have stepped up the production, bigger budget, broader objectives.

So far, its working flawlessly.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
The Iranians believe the US was behind the last protests there, and that the CIA was attempting to infiltrate their government....

Their paranoia was justified.

That plan failed, so they have stepped up the production, bigger budget, broader objectives.

So far, its working flawlessly.

If you think this is only about Iran,
you are sadly mistaken.

And I had to lmao at the article in the OP.
Can anybody be that naive in today's world???

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Did you read my other post?

Of course this is not only about Iran, they would like to see this happen in many ME countries, though after one failed attempt already in Iran, this plan has a better chance, the people may be less willing to give up this time.

It's been a great show so far.

Better for them to continue these covert operations in the ME, than to be dropping bombs... Though it's tough to figure out which is more sinister.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join