It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Airline Passengers Fall Ill, Land in Baltimore

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   
How can it be fumes??? There were 125 people on this flight and only 10 of them got really sick? What, did the rest of them hold their breath the entire flight?

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   

maybe we had alot of barfers on one plane? I have seen it more times thatn I care to count. One person get sick and it sets off a chain reaction like you would not believe. Kind of like a barfing Domino

But this theory is surely inconsistent with the unconscious state & critical condition of so many people, surely?

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
This is messed up, guys.

12 unconscious .... some reportedly in *critical* condition??

That's not food poisoning, and what kind of "fumes" could do that??

sarin?

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
1) Are the sick related?
2) Maybe they all ate at the same place prior to taking off.
3) maybe we had alot of barfers on one plane? I have seen it more times thatn I care to count. One person get sick and it sets off a chain reaction like you would not believe. Kind of like a barfing Domino

The fact that they paid special attention to other planes points away from the idea of contaminated food prior to takeoff, and away from a bug brought on board by a passenger.
The conclusion I draw is that there was either an agent introduced to a plane maliciously or by accident, which there was reason to suspect of being on other planes also. Alternately, it could be a malfunction in the plane of some kind that affected the passengers.

The fact that only a few people suffered makes it less likely that we're looking at a general contamination of the air, unless 1. These 12 were especially vulnerable because of age, size, or genetic predisposition. 2. These people were closer to the source and got a greater concentraton.
If its not the air, then we can consider sanitation in the bathrooms, cleanliness of drink containers, very mild problems with cabin pressure, or an illness circulating among flight attendants (which explains why other planes might potentially have come in contact with the problem.)

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
Guys, where were these fumes coming from? A plane is pressurized, and sealed; its not like your car where the engine exhaust can leak inside. Southwest only flys 737s to my knowledge, and the engines are out on the wings. The only other thing that I can think of would be the APU malfunctioning and blowing something in with the air conditioning, but that would affect everyone on the plane. I am more inclined to believe that someone came on-board ill and passed it around, or they came in contact with something in the terminal. I used to work on civilian jets as a ramp lead and supervisor, but am not an expert on the subject; however I cannot think of anything that the plane would emit that would do this. Even the APU exhaust never made us ramp guys sick when we would stand under it to dry off from the rain.

Smoke/fumes can happen quickly and easily on a heavy jet. Electrical wiring and other bad things. Of course you can open the outflow valves or quickly depressurize to get it out of the aircraft. The APU exhaust outside poses no harm unless you are in the radius where decibels are too high or exhaust too hot.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Couldnt something have happened to quickly depressurize and then repressurize the cabin, messing with the blood in peoples heads, and rendering them unconscious?

Just throwing out an idea here

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   
No, that wouldn't happen. You can't depressurize and repressurize a cabin quick and much less in midair.

[edit on 16-7-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Hmm, I was on a ill-fated flight once where we lost cabin pressure, dropped a bunch of feet, and had to use oxygen till things stabilized. It was in 1969 or so, but I can only remember that I felt light-headed and a little dizzy and my sinuses hurt. No one exhibited any of the symptoms of the magnitude described in the story.
This defianately is a story I want to follow.
LOL, I agree with the poster re: airline food on Southwest. If a regular meal were served or even one of Delta's "Bistro Lunches" (I just love that misnomer for two slices of bread and a slab of processed turkey), it would be "Breaking News" on CNN.

joey

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDog
Smoke/fumes can happen quickly and easily on a heavy jet. Electrical wiring and other bad things. .

I would think that if there had been a fire, they would have mentioned it, wiring does not just give off fumes by itself.
If this had been the case I am sure that the headlines would read, plane lands after 12 people overcome by smoke from electrical fire."

Originally posted by NavyDog The APU exhaust outside poses no harm unless you are in the radius where decibels are too high or exhaust too hot.

What I was stating about the APU, is that on a commercial jet it runs the Air Conditioning, thus there is some connection between the interior air and the APU. If it is possible to have exhaust leak into the airflow is a question to ask an A&P mechanic, but the two are related. When we stood under the APUs it was to dry off, and this is a HIGH concentration and extremely hot, after a few seconds the rubber in our raincoats would start to melt, but still it did not make us sick or disoriented.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
There is one other thing that no-one here has mentioned yet, Potable Water.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
well they didnt find anything...

"...a woman, who was ill before she boarded the plane, fainted before Flight 1283 landed at the airport about 10:30 p.m.

In an unrelated incident, Haffner said, a passenger with "medical issues'' became ill when the plane landed...

Authorities inspected the plane and air samples were taken as a precaution, Haffner said. No contaminants were found..."

Guradian Unlimited

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Stories are changing now. The Washington Post reports:

Of the four who reported symptoms after the Southwest Airlines jetliner from Houston landed, one woman was taken to a hospital, where her condition was described as non-life-threatening. The other three declined hospitalization.

They mention the previous report about all those in critical condition.

It was reported in an early news account that 10 people on the plane had been overcome by fumes, with four of them in critical condition and six others in serious condition.

And, here is their reason for the incident.

"One started throwing up, and others sitting nearby" did so afterward in a "reactive response," said BWI spokeswoman Cheryl Stewart. An airline spokeswoman said the others may have suffered from "sympathy nausea."

I gotta admit it makes scence. Puke stinks and sometimes the smell would be enough to set off a chain reaction, making everyone else atleast grossed out enough to feel ill too.
Kinda like on the movie "Stand BY Me".

Washington Post

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I was on a plane June 29 from Atlanta to Kansas city we sat on the runway for like 30 min, when we was #2 in line to take off . Fumes started comming into the cabin. It made me very ill. But it seems I was the only one who got sick.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
This flight landed and it appears that there some unconscious passengers. Could this have been another dry run activity to see if passengers could be rendered unconscious with an new type of odorless gas that could be used in a hi-jacking? (such as the flight 327 dry-run)

Airline officials said it could be food related, however no food is served on that airline I think . I thought I remembered flying SouthWest a few months ago and not getting a meal.

or, am I just exteremely paranoid....

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Its not always a conspiracy, sometimes its bad food, happens in america all the time

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Yep I just heard it on the news, the woman had a stomach, non-threatening, virus and she vomited. The other passengers just couldn't handle the scene and did likewise.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join