It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Airline Passengers Fall Ill, Land in Baltimore

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Six passengers onboard a Southwest flight from Houston to Baltimore became ill in flight. The plane landed at Baltimore-Washington Airport and was met on the tarmac by emergency medical personnel. More than one passenger was unconscious and/or vomiting.
Initial reports indicated ten to twelve people were transported to a local hospital, some in critical condition, though it is now said that fewer people were affected.
Witnesses reported what appear to be two planes on the runway surrounded by police.
Air samples and other tests did not reveal any contaminates. It is believed that the illness was related to existing medical conditions.

WBAL
... airline officials told 11 News that one person was passed out on the plane after vomiting. That set off an apparent chain reaction as five others also became ill. The first person refused treatment at the scene after the plane landed, but at least one person was reported to have been transported to a local hospital.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

A reporter on scene reports that air traffic at BWI airport has been affected. No planes have been observed taking off or arriving since the event took place.

Related News Stories:
WUSA

[edit on 16-7-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I've found some more info on this....watch this space for updates.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Supporting story:

Passengers fall ill aboard Southwest flight

Dallas Morning News (registration Required)
LINTHICUM, MD -Several passengers became ill aboard a Southwest Airlines flight from Houston as it was approaching Baltimore-Washington International Airport Thursday night, an airline spokeswoman said.

The spokeswoman, Brandy King, said she did not know how many passengers were stricken, what made them ill or how serious the illness was.

Southwest Flight 1283 landed as scheduled at BWI around 10:30 p.m. and was met on the ground by emergency medical personnel, King said.

According to broadcast reports, one or more passengers aboard the plane were unconscious, and at least one was transported to a local hospital.

[edit on 15-7-2004 by Spectre]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   
my first guess is food poisoning

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   
The flight is not of such duration that this could be in-flight food service related.

So don't even go there people, not unless the food was contaminated with a fast-acting contaminant.

[edit on 7-15-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   
More Supporting News

WUSATV9

Fire officials say ten people have been
overcome by fumes aboard a plane that sat on the runway Thursday night at BWI.

Officials told a local television station that four people were transported from the scene in critical condition, and six others were in serious condition.

Others aboard the plane reportedly complained of upset stomach and lightheadedness.

Fire crews from Anne Arundel, Howard and Baltimore counties were on the scene Thursday night as well.

The plane reportedly was a Southwest Airlines flight from Houston that arrived around 10:45 pm with 125 people aboard.

Fumes???

[edit on 15-7-2004 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Well my rich friends, if you flown SouthWest you'd know they only serve peanuts! Bleh I fly home in 2 days.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by spangbr
my first guess is food poisoning

Southwest is a peanuts and pretzle type food service. Also given the short duration of the flight, maybe they caught hold of something prior to leaving. But who knows. Also, food poisoning would have resulted in alot of nausea and vomiting well before you get to the passed out stage. Maybe they were drunk?????

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   

as many as 12 people onboard who were not conscious when the plane landed

Unconscious from food poisoning?
Doesn't food poisoning usually result in vomiting / diarrhea and not loss of consciousness?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see the link mentioning fumes now.

[edit on 15-7-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I would say the event of Southwest serving a "meal" (now there's an ambiguous term in air travel) would be almost as big a breaking story.

Southwest Airlines in-flight food & beverage policy.

[edit on 15/7/2004 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
This is messed up, guys.

12 unconscious .... some reportedly in *critical* condition??

That's not food poisoning, and what kind of "fumes" could do that??

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
They became sick from fumes.
maybe some exhaust slipped into the Air system..

Yeah I have to bring this up.. No Cnn/FOX/MSNBC...Hmmmmm

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Could it be there was dry ice in the cargo hold?

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by MountainStar
Could it be there was dry ice in the cargo hold?

Dry ice is prohibited as cargo/checked baggage, four pounds can be carried on board for perishables provided there is adequate package venting.

FAA regulations for Hazmat.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrickmastertricK
They became sick from fumes.
maybe some exhaust slipped into the Air system..

Unless they had some preexisting condition, athers would have been sick.... Also, when we load the chopter with a medical patient we suck in alot of fumes, I have never had one pass out. Even a sick asthmatic. I would expect alot of people would have been sick. Im putting my money on illegal drugs or booze

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I want to agree with you since it makes the most sense BUT... 12 people all high on the same stuff? That seems pretty unlikely too doesn't it?

One possibility is the plane was empty toward the back and these 12 piled in back there to stretch out and got the fumes?

m...

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
According to the article one of the passengers did vomit just before the plane landed and others became ill.

LINTHICUM, Md. -- A passenger apparently vomited onboard a plane just before it landed at Baltimore-Washington International Airport late Thursday night.

Excerpted from.
www.thewbalchannel.com...

There were as many as 20 ambulances............

The two planes that were surrounded were other flights.

The following is a link to the flight status of the flight, 1283 from Southwest Airlines, there is no other information from the main website of Southwest...
View Flight Status Information

[edit on 15-7-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   
i wonder where the rest of the passergers are, just in case. i hope its somthg not too serious like food poisoning or monox inhalation, im just thinking of t worst possible scenario...

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Guys, where were these fumes coming from? A plane is pressurized, and sealed; it�s not like your car where the engine exhaust can leak inside. Southwest only fly�s 737�s to my knowledge, and the engines are out on the wings. The only other thing that I can think of would be the APU malfunctioning and blowing something in with the air conditioning, but that would affect everyone on the plane. I am more inclined to believe that someone came on-board ill and passed it around, or they came in contact with something in the terminal. I used to work on civilian jets as a ramp lead and supervisor, but am not an expert on the subject; however I cannot think of anything that the plane would emit that would do this. Even the APU exhaust never made us ramp guys sick when we would stand under it to dry off from the rain.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
Guys, where were these fumes coming from? A plane is pressurized, and sealed; it�s not like your car where the engine exhaust can leak inside. Southwest only fly�s 737�s to my knowledge, and the engines are out on the wings. Even the APU exhaust never made us ramp guys sick when we would stand under it to dry off from the rain.

That was my point about loading the helichopter. We sit on the ground sometimes with rotors turning to bun off fuel to compensate for patients weight. We breath plenty of fumes and even the patietns don't get any sicker. What we need is a little more info.

1) Are the sick related?
2) Maybe they all ate at the same place prior to taking off.
3) maybe we had alot of barfers on one plane? I have seen it more times thatn I care to count. One person get sick and it sets off a chain reaction like you would not believe. Kind of like a barfing Domino

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join