It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is anyone else in Maryland noticing something?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by lasertaglover
reply to post by LDragonFire

As long as I have lived here in the Upper Midwest, which has been about 20 years, Indian Summers have always been in November, or December at the latest. I didnt know it came later in the winter season, or is that particular to your part of the country? Just curious.

Apparently the phrase is for Nov or later, Nov are not usually that bad here in the middle midwest

The expression 'Indian summer' has been used for more than three centuries. The earliest known use was by French-American writer St. John de Crevecoeur in rural New York in 1778. There are several theories as to its etymology:
* In Colonial New England and New York, Indian Summer referred only to a January Thaw, when American Indians Raiding parties could be expected in the western and northern areas: the ground had briefly lost its snow cover so tracking the Native American raiders back to their winter camps was much more difficult for the Colonials.
* In The Americans: The Colonial Experience, Daniel J. Boorstin speculates that the term originated from raids on European colonies by Indian war parties; these raids usually ended in late autumn (due to snow covered ground), hence summer-like weather in the late fall and mid winter was an Indian Summer, a time raiding parties could be expected.
* Two other known uses of the term in the 18th century are from accounts kept by two army officers leading retaliation expeditions against Indians for winter raiding parties on settlers in Ohio and Indiana in 1790, and Pennsylvania in 1794.[2] * It may be so named because this was the traditional period during which early American Indians harvested their crops of squash and corn.

wikipedia

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I don't know if this is relevant, but I forgot to add that when I was out earlier driving around, I noticed that there were no squirrells or birds out. Normally, when you get any day in my area that is over 30 or 40, you see tons of them. I only saw one or two birds while I was out for about three hours today. I would think that in 55 degree weather, that they would be everywhere.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Indeed me to!, I was born in November but am not at all a winter baby.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I live in California and it's pouring here right now which is usual but right before this storm we had 2 weeks of early summer weather not spring or winter. Everybody here in Cali was sayin how beautiful/strange the weather was. But then again we're not known for bad weather so it was probably nothing but it went from early summer weather to snowing in about 2 days

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

I appreciate the reference, thanks. My point is only that it is not common to happen at this time of the year. I also think it is relevant that it is happening so fast, especially when you consider how much of the country has been nailed with extremely wintery conditions and cold temperatures for so many weeks now. Super cold, then super hot, and in February, a notroiously frigid month. I'm not saying it is anything dire, but it is unusually odd, IMO.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ISis12RA12ELohim
reply to post by IAMIAM

Indeed me to!, I was born in November but am not at all a winter baby.

I hear ya fellow scorpio!

Nov 5th here

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

They would be, so that's a bit odd, here they are all out running around chirping and playing and making all kinds of sounds.With this weird weather and the sun rising two days early in, what was it? Greenland? it just makes you go, hmmm.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

I am Sagittarius - Nov 24th

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

reply to post by IAMIAM

I am Sagittarius - Nov 24th

I won't hold it against you! We are on the same mission afterall...

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
It's been warmer here in the UK too, and wet, lol.

Maybe the seasons are screwed up, winter came early, now spring seems to be coming early.

That being said, the sun wasn't putting out much a few months ago, and now it's putting X class flares, so maybe thats it?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

Agreed it is, I was thinking of emailing The Weather Channel about it, I seem to trust them but who knows.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
If you recall, we had a warming trend last year around this time in Maryland. While I admit it is a bit different from the winters I am used to growing up in this state when the rivers would freeze solid and you could ice skate on 'em well into the winter months, I think odd winter paterns is a trend that everyone across the country is seeing.
edit on 18-2-2011 by MyMindIsMyOwn because: grammer

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

lol! I'm glad you wont hold it against me, cause it's so terrible haha. Indeed we are on the same mission

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

You know, I was thinking the same thing, I know flares are linked to seismic activity, which makes me wonder if it is linked also to temperatures.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

I don't remember but that's me, I seem to be forgetting things as of late, I don't remember having any weather near the 80's but perhaps. I remember when I was younger, in my teen years, walking to school in NYC in February, it was like trying to trek through the arctic.Of course there are colder places but what I am saying is, the weather just doesn't seem right, I have been a citizen of this planet for 29 years and something just feels off about it.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
Around here it's called Indian Summer, so enjoy it while it lasts.....

We often get a week or two of mild warm weather in Jan or Feb....

Indian Summer happens in the Fall. It my have something to do with the recent CME. Or it could be a very late January thaw. Either way the weather is definitely doing some odd things to say the least, in spite of the naysayers poo-pooing.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ISis12RA12ELohim

I live in Northern VA and have spent the last two days at the park with my boys...In February!!!!

Definately unusual to say the least but, I have to admit that I enjoyed every second of my time outdoors with them.

I've lived here for over ten years and can't recall this type of weather in February. Kind of puzzling but, I see on the weather channel that, there is a chance for a wintry mix early next week.

What a teaser!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

I don't remember but that's me, I seem to be forgetting things as of late, I don't remember having any weather near the 80's but perhaps. I remember when I was younger, in my teen years, walking to school in NYC in February, it was like trying to trek through the arctic.Of course there are colder places but what I am saying is, the weather just doesn't seem right, I have been a citizen of this planet for 29 years and something just feels off about it.

It feels off, but I don't think it is a bad thing. The spirit of freedom is racing through the world causing revolutions against tyrrany, the earth is convulsing, the Sun is ejecting, and people are waking the hell up from the fog of self worship.

Yeah, it is off, but it is a good thing!

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MagesticEsoteric

LOL Don't believe it! it's a lie!
lol, It will remain warm! oh boy I hope so, I am really loving this weather, I joked with my roommate that spring is here and it was the shortest winter on record, wouldn't that be nice.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Amen! I am loving the moment we are in, this time line is definitely looking good. Hopefully this revolt against tyranny will shake the mountains from their foundations in such a way that, slavery and poverty will be abolished. People are now seeing the power and benefit of unity.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join