It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revealed: Air Force ordered software to manage army of fake virtual people

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Revealed: Air Force ordered software to manage army of fake virtual people

www.rawstory.com

Eerie as that may be, more perplexing, however, is a federal contract from the 6th Contracting Squadron at MacDill Air Force Base, located south of Tampa, Florida, that solicits providers of "persona management software."

While there are certainly legitimate applications for such software, such as managing multiple "official" social media accounts from a single input, the more nefarious potential is clear.

Unfortunately, the Air Force's contract description doesn't help dispel their suspicions either. As the text explains, the software would require licenses for 50 users with 10 p
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
LOL!!

"Troll Software"!

Too funny! How many here want to take bets that not only is this type of stuff being possibly used by the airforce, but by multiple alphabet soup organizations, and that SOME of them may well have been active on this very site?

I can't even COUNT the amount of threads I have seen here where folks call out certain users who have REMARKABLY similar "writing habits", and also appear to have eerily similar agendas. Coincidence?

Nah! Could never happen, right? That's all just conspiracy stuff, right?

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 18-2-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

There's already a thread on this here.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

That's so not good.
But of course, they would never be tempted to do anything suspect with such abilities, oh no...

You may have reposted on the subject, but were it not for your post and header, I'd have been none the wiser about this, so Thank You!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Though many questions remain about how the military would apply such technology, the reasonable fear should be perfectly clear. "Persona management software" can be used to manipulate public opinion on key information, such as news reports. An unlimited number of virtual "people" could be marshaled by only a few real individuals, empowering them to create the illusion of consensus.

Truly frightening the "illusion of consensus". They have already bought the MSM and now are trying to control the internet.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Nice Find!

This brings a whole new meaning to the idea of internet trolls.
Still left wondering what is the purpose behind this conspiracy of trolling?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Two things...

1. They're doing this already and have been for quite some time. They just want to be more organized about it and be able to cut headcount.

2. This is okay if we use it against our enemies
but not okay if they use it against us

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
You have a new friend request!!
Accept - Deny

Guess which one your human instinct will force you to click on..

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Two things...

1. They're doing this already and have been for quite some time. They just want to be more organized about it and be able to cut headcount.

2. This is okay if we use it against our enemies
but not okay if they use it against us
No L,

Everythings cool, just read the propaganda...er...uhm...article I mean.

He said none of the interventions were in English, as it would be unlawful to "address US audiences" with such technology, and any English-language use of social media by Centcom was always clearly attributed. The languages in which the interventions are conducted include Arabic, Farsi, Urdu and Pashto.

They would never. That would be unlawful.

edit on 17-3-2011 by Klassified because: Messed up!

edit on 17-3-2011 by Klassified because: One more time

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
In all the years I have been a member here and poster, I have seen the government propagandist come and go, usual during election times.

They are easily spotted in the threads as their post are specifically targeted and they post over and over with littler variation of the content of the post and regardless of the issues been discussed.

Sometimes they seem like trolls but with more intelligent content.

Having the ability to use 10 alias or INTERNET names is not good, as one person can take an entire thread and killed with ten posts.

They will be targeting specific sites and boards that have heavy posting on politics, this will render the rest of us unable to have meaningful discussions.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Looks like we could see some UK operatives as well.

Asked whether any UK military personnel had been involved in OEV, Britain's Ministry of Defence said it could "find no evidence" of this. The MoD refused to say whether it had been involved in the development of persona management programmes, however, saying: "We don't comment on cyber capability."

I learned one thing long ago. If they say they don't know, they do. And if they say they aren't, they are.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
It is moments, and stories such as this, which make me accutely aware of the realities of life in the western world. Many around the world believe that our governments are somewhat less toxic, venomous, and deadly than those which operate in communist, or religiously ruled nations, but I believe that this assessment is at best shallow , and comes from a limited understanding of the driving forces behind the actions of the west in recent history.
The truth is that the sting in the tail of western governments , is oft hidden behind a good suit, and a pastoral approach which softens the unwary up, before the devastating penetration of the bureaucracy strikes home, delivering its soul crushing poison to the population. This chameleonic, predatory cyber infestation is exactly the sort of propegandist mind rape, that I have come to accept as evidence that for all the wests prattle about press freedom, and the importance of free speech, free will, and liberty, that our governments care not a fig for those things.
Like the TSA and the patriot act in the USA, and the anti terror laws passed here in Britain, I would not be suprised to find in five to ten years time, that this method of infiltration of "undesirable groups" will extend to civilian organisations who stand against large government, and thier lobbyist puppet masters, just as much as foreign extremist terror organisations.
Who needs Soviet Russia, when capitalism does exactly the same thing, but with cooler shades on its face?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I can't believe this is the second thread on this subject out of 3 the last one closed by the mods and none of them have gotten much attention. You can see the thread I did only 1 day before this one was opened.

www.abovetopsecret.com... Here.

I think it is an important story. S&F

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

US is run by a capitalist that that have the power to profit with the help of a chosen corporate government and willing whores in congress for the right amount of money to get laws in their favor and against the voter and tax payer, the bases in which America the free was built has been lost for the last 100+years.

We have totalitarian rule is just that elections keeps the people thinking they still have a choice.
edit on 17-3-2011 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I guarantee they have been testing this software for years on people in Dating and social sites all over the net. I have personally seen an explosion of them online that all look similar and yet are fake as hell. This is why I dont find new friends online. If I don't know you from school, ATS back in the day or somewhere locally then I will always keep my guard up.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
ATS gives us a slight edge in detecting these sock puppets. They list your join date in your profile.

I use that to help me determine if a member may or may not be a paid propagandist. If I notice a clump of members with a similar join date in a thread, or frequenting similar topics, I tend to suspect they are paid to be here.

There are other things I use too, which I am not going to list here for fear of inadvertently helping them improve their technique, but the join date thing is an important one. For instance during the BP issue, we had a lot of BP fans here, very assertive posters, with join dates after the spill. Thats a clue.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Ok this my first post on ATS, sorry for my bad english...

So..I use to follow ATS ""information" since the Chile EQ 27/02/2010 (I was born in Chile in the 80')

Back to topic..

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

I can't even COUNT the amount of threads I have seen here where folks call out certain users who have REMARKABLY similar "writing habits", and also appear to have eerily similar agendas. Coincidence?

Nah! Could never happen, right? That's all just conspiracy stuff, right?

Not firts time we can find this kind of threads here..and most of ATS know that!
It's like "dissolving concrete information" by the using of a massive "flux" of other/similar/sublime information.
"""are we reading MSM desinformation on ATS???""
sometimes I wonder why it's so hard to get the ""right thing"". thats part of the game for sure.

A thing that I learned on ATS is to apply now, on all my ""manipulation conspiracy desinformation"" research, the BS filter and now the Troll/fake filter....whatever This ""Game"" it's getting everyday more ""Dangerous""...
A big Source of entertainment...

.....to be continued

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I have seen that same thing over and over when it comes to certain topics that become priority by members here after some happenings either globally or national.

One good example is the hoard of new members prior to election times, that's when the political forum seems to thrive.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I wouldnt doubt the have fake army people here on ATS! Ahhh!!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Could this software be the root of all the uprisings against muslim governments in the middle east??????

Definitely sounds possible...I do not know how tech savy these nations are...but it doesn't take much for these kinds of things to spread.

Don't know how I missed this thread initially but it's quite an eyeopener. I've always figured this kind of thing went on....nice to see proof that it exists.
S/F
edit on 21-3-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join