It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At Least 24 Dead as Libya Uprisings Grow

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

At Least 24 Dead as Libya Uprisings Grow

news.antiwar.com

Protests are once again surging in Libya, where the opposition has declared a “day of rage” against Moammar Gadhafi, the long-serving military dictator of the nation. Protesters are said to have stormed one of the nation’s prisons and freed a number of political prisoners.

But as is all too common in these growing protests across the region, the military has been using live ammunition in an attempt to crush the rising dissent. The death toll, according to human rights groups, is at least 24, and is likely to rise in the days and weeks ahead.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.antiwar.com
www.guardian.co.uk

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Seems that things may be escalating in Libya as well.

Protesters say that they’ve actually taken control of a number of cities in eastern Libya, and that they have in some cases been joined by local security forces. Protesters have also seized jails and released detainees.

Also, from the Guardian, Bahrain, Libya and Yemen try to crush protests with violence

Violence in Libya and Bahrain have claimed scores of lives and left many more injured as the two Arab countries were united by popular protests that continue to shake the status quo and sound alarm bells across the region and the world.

Just a week after Egypt's president, Hosni Mubarak, was forced to stand down, dozens of Libyans were reported killed by Muammar Gaddafi's security forces. Meanwhile Bahraini troops shot dead at least one protester and wounded 50 others after mourners had buried four people who were gunned down on Thursday in the worst mass unrest the western-backed Gulf state has ever seen.

Keep watching....

news.antiwar.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2/18/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Nows the time for the Green Berets to be inserted.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Is that what happened last time? To Gaddafi? Poor schmuck fell for it again, eh?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Update: Libya protests: massacres reported as Gaddafi imposes news blackout

Opposition says 61 killed as diplomats report use of heavy weapons in Benghazi and rumours sweep the country...

News blackout, of course. Bet our State Department is tweeting away!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I dont believe it is Qaddafi imposing the news blackout. I am seeing a western corporate agenda here. We are being punked in the middle east right now, I can just feel it in my gut. These uprisings are being orchestrated to further some economic end of the worlds financial elite.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

It almost seems like this would have to be the case. Someone got very, very clever here. Some of this stuff is just not making sense. And in the meantime, Israel smack talk is heating up, Obama is "selling out" Israel, Iranian warships are on the move. Yikes.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by SirMike

Is that what happened last time? To Gaddafi? Poor schmuck fell for it again, eh?

Last time? What are you refering to?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

When we bombed Libya decades ago, killed some of his family. He was one of the classic ME leaders: friend then foe then friend again.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

reply to post by SirMike

When we bombed Libya decades ago, killed some of his family. He was one of the classic ME leaders: friend then foe then friend again.

When was Gaddaf ever on friendly terms with the US? Do you think before you say things, or do your preconceptions drive every thought you have?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Someone else just posted this link in another thread.

tarpley.net...

That might give us some insight. The problem with us in the west trying to understand whats going on down there is we have been lied too for so long, because the stakes (oil money) have been so high, its really hard to get a real feel for what they are doing.

All we have is that gut, intuitive feeling that something is really, really wrong here. We are being lied to in a major way. Not to mention they are grabbing for power so quickly ATM that their media "story" is choppy and kinda inconsistent. A little obvious.

Beware "Days of Rage" in the US. They might try to pull that stunt here too to suspend our Constitution and implement marital law.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike

reply to post by SirMike

When was Gaddaf ever on friendly terms with the US? Do you think before you say things, or do your preconceptions drive every thought you have?

Do your homework before you insult people in public, son.

Gaddafi fell into the same trap Hussein and many others have fallen into.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
With all the uprisings in the ME, really shows us how well a " dictatorship " rule ends up. I mean, if the people can stand up for themselves, it really says alot about a peoples voices, to bad it wont work here inthe US.. We are so screwed.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike

reply to post by SirMike

Do your homework before you insult people in public, son.

Ummmm, homeworks all done ... son.

Now, for the rest of the class, when Gaddaf ever on friendly terms with the US?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Thanks for the Tarpley link. Yeah, I pretty much predicted this here on ATS last summer, too, in more than one thread, that the Iran connection was going to be Mubarak's downfall. .Quite a few indications were there, the UN sanction vote being one of them, and the assistance to helping them get around the sanctions. Egypt fell out of "step" along with Turkey around the time of the flotilla crisis. I'm surprised (on record with this again) that Turkey has remained thus far relatively unaffected because there are factions that can't be too happy with them too. They're a more imposing challenge though.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Bunches of South American and Caribbean leaders have fallen into that trap as well.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Yes, they have. Friends when it's convenient, gone when they're no longer useful. Mubarak's just the most recent to feel that sting. It's not over with him or for him either.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Here's another video...Bahrain, Libya, and Yemen.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Totally agree, the most recent case, first Osama, being a CIA informant for years, paid in arms trades, now number 1 on the kill list. Saddam, being hero turned villain. We put him in power. Then removed him, on the premise of preemptive actions? You all remember Escobar don't you? Hell , we were helping him transport " products" when Bush Sr. was the director of the CIA. Escobar experienced the same fate. We, ( the US), use people for our own gains, then turn the " tail" to benefit ourselves again. Just crazy~

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

Although I think we really need to be careful saying "we the US."

The people manipulating behind the scenes in this way are not American loyalists. They really arent "America." They are gutting our economy, and running up huge debt to further their own ends around the world, and they could care less what it does to this country. We are a source of soldiers, credit, and taxes to them. They do not care about us, any more than they care about those leaders they use and then cast aside.

They will do the same to this nation, her people, and her Constitution. We are in the middle of that right now.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join