It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's So Bad About American Idol?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I see it a lot... People talking about the "sheeple" who watch American Idol... Why is it that that particular show is used as the epitome of brain-dead American's TV lineup? I mean, I can see using Jackass or Silent Library or Re-inventing Bonaduce.

But I like American Idol! And I'm not brain dead!
It's a show about hopes and dreams. About the next generation following their dreams. It's about hard work and perseverance. They don't coddle the losers. They celebrate the real talent.

So, tell me, what's the problem with American Idol and why do people always spit it out of their mouths with such venom?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Gives false reality to children that there is a chance to exceed in the world. Not to mention whom ever does come out on the top will have to sell their soul to the illuminaiti. But besides that, its hosted by retarded over paid critics that are now has beens in the fame world.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Whether someone likes American Idol or not is just an opinion.

I won't lie, I do enjoy watching the auditions and Hollywood week. I completely agree with the show being about people fighting for their hopes and dreams which is both beautiful and touching. In the past I have stopped watching after Hollywood week, apparently they have changed how the competition will work this year (with compositions tailored to each competitor)? Maybe I will keep watching.

What I am against though is that more people are aware of American Idol than world events, politics and the like. Not only that, they also complain because of the position they are in yet they do not know anything around them.

Ultimately I hope to eliminate the amount of television I watch in the coming years.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegoods724
Gives false reality to children that there is a chance to exceed in the world. Not to mention whom ever does come out on the top will have to sell their soul to the illuminaiti. But besides that, its hosted by retarded over paid critics that are now has beens in the fame world.

Actually I would say it teaches children how to exceed in the world through hard work, dedication and love. It teaches children that life is sorrowful yet within their hands they are given the opportunity to do whatever they like as long as they love and persist. Sure, American Idol is one of the most ideal scenarios, but in any scenario, it takes dedication and hard work.

The illuminati stuff is bull#, and I laugh at having believed in it (to a degree) at sometime. Most of the illuminati symbolism found in music videos and lyrics is a blatant marketing ploy and it also is used to symbolize being rich and their status as better than you. You can say mainstream music is brainwash but all music and lyrics have effects on the individual. The reason blatantly stupid music is popular is because blatantly stupid people listen to it.

These critics are not over paid. Yes, it can be considered unfair that they are paid so much, but the market demands it. The invisible hand of the market demands what they want (the more people the more money potential).

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ThisIsMyName

very true, it is nothing more than another show to keep people entertained and defocused from the real issues of the world being raped by big businesses.

link   
I think the problem most people have with American Idol has less to do with the show itself, but more to do the amount of attention it receives. It seems like a lot of people are more interested in who got voted out that given week, then the real issues in the world.

I dont really have a problem with it. I think we all need a distraction from time to time. My problem is that it seems like the winner is usually decided by the "teenage girl" vote. Which occasionally means the more talented singer may lose to the one that the young girls think is cute. Example: Crystal Bowersox.

link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I think it's primarily a matter of AI being easy shorthand for massively popular reality tv dreck rather than any specific or exclusive problem with AI in particular.

The things I personally dislike about the show:

1. The show is symptomatic of our country's obsession with, not just fame, but the quickly achieved "overnight sensation" version of fame. From the William Hung horrible "joke" contestants the first few weeks up to each year's winner, these people are all shooting for some variation on pimping themselves out to the pop-culture machine. Granted, they can make decent money for themselves (less Simon Cowell's cut) so I can't really blame them but they still annoy the heck out of me.

2. Tendency to promote a bland homogonized style of music that reduces everything to a belting and/or over the top emoting. I recognize that there is a huge market for this Celine Dion/Taylor Swift/Mariah Carey musical style so I can't blame begrudge them going for the lowest common denominator but it is not my cup of tea.

3. I think that the emotional attachment that hardcore fans develop to their chosen contestants allows them to live vicariously through the success of their onscreen avatars, thus reducing their need to achieve anything in their own lives. If they are actually "inspired" to pursue their dreams, they are comparing their own journeys against the "overnight sensation" version of success as outlined in point (1).

Of course, I despise most television so my hatred of American Idol is not especially different from my contempt for Two and Half Men or CSI, so don't take it personally.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThisIsMyName
What I am against though is that more people are aware of American Idol than world events, politics and the like. Not only that, they also complain because of the position they are in yet they do not know anything around them.

I think this is the reason that a lot of people put down Idol. They just feel that if those people are so aware of everyone on that show, that they should be just as aware of world events. It seems that some think Idol is more important than the real issues affecting us all.

I also enjoy watching it towards the end of the season and find nothing wrong with it.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Also, I they look for people to sing their songs. It's basically a karaoke show. They are not looking for artists.

Can you imagine if a young Bob Dylan came in to try out? He would never make it past the first audition.
edit on 18-2-2011 by Cheesefacedogbone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Most issues have been coverd but to add,

Rich and famous people dont like it because they worked hard for years to get a break, These kids are famous after 12 weeks, Get raped by a record company then they flop due to lack of experience.

False worship in my opinion..

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I love American Idol! I think the folks that bash it are nothing more than self-important individuals. Acting as if what they do is not only important, but also the only thing that anyone should be doing. That, and their immense sense of jealousy that they are not confident enough to pursue their dreams.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I have seen better talent @ karaoke night at the VFW hall, and at least they do not push coca cola on me.
I truly do not care who will be singing on the disney channel next thrust out in the spotlight as the only music choice forced by the big corporations.
More good talented singers / bands die in the garage while Backstreet boys enjoy undeserved fame and fortune.
Lincoln biskit, limp park, blink 182, blink 183, blink 184 Etc. they all sound the same.
There is just no originality pursued nowadays, just play what they tell you and then shut up.
Yep, I hate American Idol!
Someone post the Axis of Awesome vid.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I enjoy the auditions week (would like it better if they showed more freaks, less stories, and less of the "good" singers).... It's a trainwreck. After that though, I'll typically read a book or play video games while the wife watches it, as I could care less to hear the actual singing.

So You Think You Can Dance or Dancing With the Stars gets my interest more (and not just for the skimpy costumes, though admittedly, it's part of it, hehe...

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

My only objection to this line of thought is that there are 168 hours in a week. American Idol consumes two, sometimes 3 hours of that time. leaving a good 165 hours for folks to catch-up on world events through their preferred medium. I believe that folks give up on tracking world events because the media lacks the journalistic integrity it once had. Maybe if they told the unbiased, straight forward truth; rather than interjecting opinion and political rhetoric, then people would pay more attention.

**steps off soapbox and apologizes for any derailment**

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I can't help but wonder if all the people who talk about American Idol being about people working and struggling to achieve their dreams make a habit of going to open mic nights or check out local unsigned bands, or independent publishers' catalogs or local film festivals.

If so, great. If not, they should.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegoods724
Gives false reality to children that there is a chance to exceed in the world.

Really? I think Carie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, Adam Lambert and a few others might argue that it's not false hope being given. They are what they consider to be successful. They are doing what they hoped to do. Make records, tour and be a star. Not everyone makes it, but that's well-known going into the program.

Not to mention whom ever does come out on the top will have to sell their soul to the illuminaiti.

OK.
I think they know what they're getting into for the most part when they (and their parents, if underage) sign up for it. They do sign contracts with the program, I'm sure, but I'm not sold on the Illuminati thing.

Oh! OK. That makes sense. Yes, that is a telling statement. And I agree completely. So, when people say something about 'the stupid American Idol watchers" they're talking about the people who are MORE interested in American Idol and other trivial matters than what's going on in our world. In their world.

It's not that I take offense when someone says that, I just started wondering why people use that show instead of say, Desperate Housewives or Keeping up with the Kardashians. American Idol has a lot more worth in my eyes than about 85% of what I see advertised on TV. It's one of the only shows I watch.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cheesefacedogbone
My problem is that it seems like the winner is usually decided by the "teenage girl" vote. Which occasionally means the more talented singer may lose to the one that the young girls think is cute. Example: Crystal Bowersox.

I agree with this, too. But some of the more famous or popular artists are ones who didn't win. Adam Lambert.

Crystal Bowersox Crystal wasn't mainstream. That's why she didn't win. But she has an album and she's a great artist. I loved her on the show.

Originally posted by RobertAntonWeishaupt
... From the William Hung horrible "joke" contestants the first few weeks up to each year's winner, these people are all shooting for some variation on pimping themselves out to the pop-culture machine.

I agree. It sounds like hell to me. But if it's what they signed up for... I can't get too excited about it.

... I recognize that there is a huge market for this Celine Dion/Taylor Swift/Mariah Carey musical style so I can't blame begrudge them going for the lowest common denominator but it is not my cup of tea.

It's not my cup of tea either, but I sing, and I love to hear people with really good voices sing their hearts out.
I can really appreciate it. That's why I'm just the opposite of some, I don't like the auditions. I want to hear some talent. Let the contest begin!
And I know what you mean about the bland, but people can use AI as a springboard and do their own thing after their contract is over. Carrie Underwood has won like 5 Grammys in Country and what Adam Lambert does couldn't be called mainstream, if you know what I mean.

I agree with your 3rd point. And I will no longer take it personally as I can understand one reason people don't like it is that it represents a lack of interest in one's world. That doesn't mean that everyone who watches it is uninterested in their world.

edit on 2/18/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Lol. Im one of the people who often uses American Idol as the epitome of what we are doing wrong as a people.

Its not the show itself. Its that it is pure entertainment, and that everyone gossips about it, and bothers themself with who is going to win, and that is a problem in America right now. We need to be paying attention to less entertaining things.

Our country is literally being stolen from us. Our democracy is a sham, our economy is in ruins, our military men and women are being used as pawns to make the rich richer. This is a crucial time in history for us. We HAVE to get our crap together and take control of our nation. We may never get another chance.

And what do Americans do? Watch pure entertainment. Try to make themselves feel better. Distract themselves.

If we had control of our country, and things were going even semi-okay, there would be nothing wrong with it. But this is like putting your fingers in your ears and singing "la la la Im not listening."

We need to stop medicating to make the bad feelings go away. We medicate with drugs, legal and illegal, shopping, sex, food, and entertainment. We have to stop. We need to take care of the problem and make the bad feelings go away in that way. We cant fix the country if the majority refuse to deal with the nasty, dirty, unpleasant facts.

Thats all. Its not really about the show. Its about the fact that it is pure populist entertainment designed to make the masses feel good, so they dont actually think about and work on the problems that are making us all feel so bad so much of the time.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

My answer is quite simple.

American Idol, as well as television shows like "Big Brother", and Survivor feed the ignorant masses.

Towards the ends of being distracted from reality.

In Ancient Rome this was called bread and circuses to demand a distraction by the state.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Bread and Circuses

"Bread and Circuses" (or bread and games) (from Latin: panem et circenses) is a metaphor for a superficial means of appeasement.

In the case of politics, the phrase is used to describe the creation of public approval, not through exemplary or excellent public service or public policy, but through the mere satisfaction of the immediate, shallow requirements of a populace.

The phrase also implies the erosion or ignorance of civic duty amongst the concerns of the common man (l'homme moyen sensuel).

In modern usage, the phrase has become an adjective to deride a populace that no longer values civic virtues and the public life.

To many across the political spectrum, left and right, it connotes the triviality and frivolity that in popular culture is supposed to have characterized the Roman Empire prior to its decline.

Benevolent Heretic, I hope you know when I speak ill of the show, and those who watch it I do not refer to people like you.

I refer instead to those mindless barbarians who ignore voting, who deny a knowledge of politics in the fleeting chance of seeing their favorite singer on some television show which has no real contribution to society except as a distraction from what Congress and Senate are doing behind the scenes, the vast majority of this is because those people so tied up in watching these shows know little to nothing about how the world works, political or otherwise, and drink in excess, party until the wee hours of the morning, and decry false and or completely stupid and ignorant thoughts about how society should be.

Where ignoring social responsibility is fine and to call in sick due to a hangover screwing other co-workers.

Or to falsely believe their speeding tickets were without merit all because they are somehow special.

These are but a few minor examples.

But imagine this across a broader spectrum where many millions of people tune into to watch this show.

And others.

What if the President were to declare war on some sovereign nation?

Just how many of those same millions would change to C-Span to see that happen?

And on top of that understand the implications are not just about countless soldiers lives being lost.

But about lies sold through Congressional hearings where intelligence is gathered just to push some pipeline into the Middle East in order to "stabilize democracry" within that region, but in reality it is nothing more than to gain leverage upon the regions for oil rights for organizations like Halliburton through fleecing people who did not want to sell by an erosion of legitimate business practices but which is more like extortion mixed with mass murder and or genocide by maniacs like Manuel Noriega or Saddam Hussein who were put into power in the first place by our own Government just to keep close to intelligence assets.

Let us also not forget those "stars" who shine brightly singing who never get a chance because according to judgemental idiots like Simon Cowell, who think they're just too damn ugly, and will not sell tickets, CD's, and or better record sales.

All because they do not fit the "perfect American" an ideal which is laughable in this Barbie age.

Where breast jobs and silicon lip implants is more important than actual moral character.

Whether the person is acutally physically beautiful or horrendous and grotesque.

The end goal is ticket sales and box office draw instead of actual talent and intelligence.

These shows breed ignorance by masses of lemmings too stupid to know what is going on.

And while some people like yourself and a few others watch it for the singing.

Others form their opinions of how society should work based upon nothing more than shallow vacillations.

Like what one star wore, what hairstyle they liked, or who they hated due to predjudicial ignorances.
edit on 2/18/11 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth and Insight Into the Post.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
But always remember:

Is the problem American Idol/Survivor etc? or the ignorant masses?

It is the ignorant masses that decided what enterprise (entertainment/products etc) succeed and what fail.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join