It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Numerous UFOs near O'hare Airport 2011

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Attention!

Please stick to the issue at hand and refrain from attacking your fellow ATSers. Civility and decorum are a cornerstone of this site and, believe it or not, it is possible to discuss this issue without resorting to petty insults.

Consider this a fair warning. Any further personal attacks will result in immediate action. Adherence to this simple request is expected.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

So what's the standard maximum on how many planes can be "lined up" on a landing approach? I thought it was sets of three for busy runways.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by apodictic

Nah....

That direction (East) from my location matches up directly with O'Hare, HOWEVER.

Ummm....so you saw the airliners lining up for landings on Runways 27 L/R....possibly Runway 28. Did I miss the wind directions, if you remember? They were strong, yes or no?

Other clear nights....if they were landing the other direction (Runway 9 L/R and Runway 10) would you notice them? HAVE you noticed a more "normal" direction of airliner lights, on other clear nights??

I have a witness in the City who lives on the lake shore. He observed these lights and said they were on the East side of the lake, putting these lights in Michigan.

Well....not yet:

There goes the O'Hare theory right there.

The lake, there at the southern end, is at most 30 miles wide, right?? All those airliners lining up, at a rush hour, can be spaced well out.....over the lake....your friend on Chicago's Lake Shore certainly might have thought they were all the way over Michigan....the ones farther East might have been....but they were headed to ORD.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Ummm....so you saw the airliners lining up for landings on Runways 27 L/R....possibly Runway 28. Did I miss the wind directions, if you remember? They were strong, yes or no?

Are you simply ignoring the fact that it's been said these lights did NOT move??
There's not many planes that can hover..
Also that's a LOT of planes in a landing pattern and appear too close to each other..

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
The reason "millions" of people did not see this is most probably due to the cold weather. Even the guy who filmed this could not stay out that long. So why do you think everybody else would be outside to witness this? WeedWhacker, you forget to mention MUFON reports. Which is where UFO's are reported. Not the local news, not the gov., not just YouTube.

Why didn't any of those lights land? You would think that planes land right? Some of the smaller lights move around the bigger lights. Why would airplanes do that?

When you say airplane lights can be seen from 10 to 20 to 30 and "more" miles away, which one is it? Apodictic places these lights in Michigan which is 80+ miles away. Those must be some pretty powerful landing lights to be seen more than 80 miles away right?

Great find Human_Alien, keep up the good work! Thank you Apodictic for joining this thread and putting another piece of the puzzle together.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

So what's the standard maximum on how many planes can be "lined up" on a landing approach?

No, no "maximum" at all. ORD is crazy busy, especially in situations of bad weather...and winds that aren't in the normal prevailing direction....every airport encounters that, now and again. It tends to cause delays.....passengers don't understand the reasons why, they say "But, it's just wind!" There is a complicated way the airspace is ordered, to facilitate all the airplanes....arrivals AND departures.

ATL is busy, busy too.....it isn't uncommon to have a dozen or more lined up.....you note the spacing, there in the video? Three miles for each, when lined up for same runway....unless one ahead is a "heavy", then there is a five mile gap. Toss in the fact that you have parallel runways, and the "staggering" is apparent....flights in tandem, some slightly ahead or behind, etc. Differing altitudes, sometimes, along the approach path.

Follow this link, for all of the O'Hare Instrument Approach Procedures (and others): flightaware.com...

You can spend some time looking through the numerous variety there....

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by CastleMadeOfSand
The reason "millions" of people did not see this is most probably due to the cold weather. Even the guy who filmed this could not stay out that long. So why do you think everybody else would be outside to witness this? WeedWhacker, you forget to mention MUFON reports. Which is where UFO's are reported. Not the local news, not the gov., not just YouTube.

Why didn't any of those lights land? You would think that planes land right? Some of the smaller lights move around the bigger lights. Why would airplanes do that?

When you say airplane lights can be seen from 10 to 20 to 30 and "more" miles away, which one is it? Apodictic places these lights in Michigan which is 80+ miles away. Those must be some pretty powerful landing lights to be seen more than 80 miles away right?

Great find Human_Alien, keep up the good work! Thank you Apodictic for joining this thread and putting another piece of the puzzle together.

Don't confuse things with facts..
Debunking is much easier without them..

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

No, not this time. Not airplanes, not flares, not chinese lanterns, not LED kites, not swamp gas, not venus not a hoax...just no.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

These planes do NOT appear to move weed...
Please explain that..!!
And what about the arc pattern??
Not what you'd expect from planes coming in to land...

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by CastleMadeOfSand

Apodictic places these lights in Michigan which is 80+ miles away.

Please.

Care to refer to a map?

As to landing.....the video showed the airpalnes moving slowly, and descending. More came into view behind them. You can be on final approach, from a long distance out for several minutes....ATC slows you down, the more busy they get....human nature, so they can handle it all. They aren't robots.

So, down to around 150 knots, even when 20-30 miles away (or more). I've had it happen. Last few miles, down to about 130 knots. 150 knots is only about 2 1/2 miles per minute. 25 miles out, will take ten minutes...right?

As to MUFON....what was reported? What were the responses? Might be interesting.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Remember all the threads lately, of contrails in the distance that appeared to be nearly vertical?

Perspective. Curvature of the Earth. An airplane at, say.....3,000 feet above the ground as it flies away from you....will appear to be descending, as it gets further and further from view. NOW, reverse that.....it starts out very far away, but stays at same altitude as it approaches. AND, a bunch all in a row, all lined up one after the other?

Looks like an "arc".....

edit on 18 February 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

Apodictic places these lights in Michigan which is 80+ miles away.

Please.

Care to refer to a map?

As to landing.....the video showed the airpalnes moving slowly, and descending. More came into view behind them. You can be on final approach, from a long distance out for several minutes....ATC slows you down, the more busy they get....human nature, so they can handle it all. They aren't robots.

So, down to around 150 knots, even when 20-30 miles away (or more). I've had it happen. Last few miles, down to about 130 knots. 150 knots is only about 2 1/2 miles per minute. 25 miles out, will take ten minutes...right?

As to MUFON....what was reported? What were the responses? Might be interesting.

Great explanation if you simply ignore what everyone has said in this thread..
Well done weed,,

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Remember all the threads lately, of contrails in the distance that appeared to be nearly vertical?

Perspective. Curvature of the Earth. An airplane at, say.....3,000 feet above the ground as it flies away from you....will appear to be descending, as it gets further and further from view. NOW, reverse that.....it starts out very far away, but stays at same altitude as it approaches. AND< a bund in a row, all loined up.

Looks like an "arc".....

Bull...According to you all these planes are on final approach..
They would NOT appear to go up...No way, no how.....

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Perspective. Curvature of the Earth. An airplane at, say.....3,000 feet above the ground as it flies away from you....will appear to be descending, as it gets further and further from view. NOW, reverse that.....it starts out very far away, but stays at same altitude as it approaches. AND, a bunch all in a row, all lined up one after the other?

Looks like an "arc".....

There is a gaping hole in the "contrail perspective anomoly". Simple common sense will tell you that if you are looking at a contrail directly head on, it will appear larger the closer it gets to you, and will appear smaller further away. So what you are saying is that from your "perspective" the closer it is to you the smaller? And the farther away the larger it is? Does that make sense? Cause it doesn't to me.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

What was ignored??

Everyone got overly excited....like the kids all thought they heard the ice cream truck approaching, only to find it was a car full of clowns, ringing their bells on the way to the circus.

We see a LOT of these types of YouTube "over-excitements", don't we? Not due to the OP, mind you....that is just a messenger. But, a bit of sanity and restraint is a good idea, lest one be thought of as the "Boy Who Cried Wolf" too many times. Just leads to disappointment.

Not everyone has the benefit of having seen that exact same type of arrangement before....many, many times. Of airliners at night. Seen 'em from the position of waiting in line to takeoff....seen 'em from the air, when on downwind....and knowing we are going to the "end of the line". LAX is another place where it's common to have very, very long final approaches. Because the airport is right on the coast, and many arrive from the East.....you see that on a nightly basis (when it's clear).

Here's an idea....ask an Air Traffic Controller. They will see it....more than ME, even!!! I'll see if there is an ATC blog.....I thnk I remember one....."stuckmic" I think.....you can post the video there,and get some comments.

(Maybe I'll explain what "stuckmic" means, if you don't already know..).....

Hey! I was right!! www.stuckmic.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Your contrail analogy doesn't apply, here....my mistake for bringing it up (pun intended) to illustrate for another reason.

However.....it isn't as simplistic, in terms of judging contrail width versus distance....because a contrail doesn't stay constant, but is always changing. (People think of things like highways and powerlines, maybe....fixed objects and perspective.)....

Still, there are other threads that cover that already....

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
This is a very good video i don't believe this to be a hoax they don't look like planes there also flying in a arc formation ..but i would love to see day light pics of this area.. thanks for the good post Human_Alien i always enjoy your threads S&F

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Ever seen this?:

flightaware.com...

As I post, the time is only about 16:15 CST. Check back closer to the 18:00 to 20:00 times, or other very busy rush hour times (depends on the way the airlines schedule their "hub and spoke" flights. A glance at airport schedules will tell you....and remember, these shift, when serious delays are occurring...).

May wish to check it out...and read more in the thread. Afraid those were airliners, at night. Very pretty, yes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join