It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The U.S. military's 'rape epidemic'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

The U.S. military's 'rape epidemic'

theweek.com

Current and former soldiers are suing the Pentagon, accusing it of failing to prevent rape within the military.

17 veterans and active-duty service members filed a landmark lawsuit accusing the Pentagon of looking the other way despite frequent reports of rape and other abuse against women

People who deny "rape exists" in the armed forces are the ones who are "not supporting our troops." When women and men put themselves at risk to serve their country, they deserve to know that their supe
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Check the video out as I doubt we will see this alot on the news.

They say a woman is more likely to be raped in the military than be shot by enemy fire.

They also interview rape victims and one female marine got raped, then cried and a commander said "Marines Don't Cry" when she tried to escalate the issue.

That is just so disgusting!!!

Very alarming despite it already being a known fact.

theweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
The fact that there is a rape epidemic in the military isn't the new news here by any stretch of the imagination. This has been going on for years now, most recently brought to light since Iraq and Afghanistan. The news here is this new lawsuit. I can come back with tons of links showing what's been going on in the past 10 years if you'd like. Just let me know
But hey, anything that refocuses attention on this horrible trend is goodness.

edit on 2/18/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Yeah, nothing new here...
I'm an old retired US Marine and it was going on long before I came along...
Navy nurses had it bad... I dated one for a lot of years and man you should of heard her stories of what being a nurse was like back in the late 60's and 70's

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Sexual assault is more common on college and university campuses then in the armed forces.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
First let me say, I do NOT condone any harmful actions towards a woman, especially rape. But playing Devils Advocate here, in the video one woman admitted that she knew it would ruin here career in the Army, is it possible that these women simply wanted out of unjust and illegal war? Our country is a country of due process, so with that, just because a woman claims she's been raped doesnt mean it actually happened?

I'm not denying that rape occurs, being former military, I only heard of stories. My current g/friend, was a military wife prior to her divorce, and while her husband was deployed, she had a friendly get together with girls and guys alike. Except one guy that showed up, whom btw she didn't know, showed up. After the party and people left, he showed back up claiming that he left his jacket? Next thing she knows, ( according to her story ) she was forced on the couch and the events that transpired don't need to be discussed. There was no abuse, no smacking or bruising...but a story non-the less.

What are your thoughts to this thread, and maybe some insight to the story I posed above? The reason I shared my lil story, I have wondered in the past about how " truthful ' my g/friend has been? I love her very much, but sometimes I wonder if maybe there was more to the story? Any thoughts?
edit on 18-2-2011 by Whereweheaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I'm LMAFO over here!!! not cause these women got raped but cause I'm remembering the stories when I was in the army. this type of stuff happens ALOT in the military, and not just to women. the battalion across the lake from mine was on lockdown for along time after a certain young (female) was caught orally servicing numerous soldiers one night. as the mp's dragged "her" out of the barracks, two balloons fell out of her shirt. long story short it was like a 14 yr old boy.

the army makes a hell of an effort to keep these cases in thier juristiction. we had a sgt. in my platoon that was arrested for molesting his young kids repeatedly. he got a short stint in ft. lewis last I heard.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Old news or new news
Rape is old news
the increase in rape cases however is very much new news

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Not trying to justify any thing here but I would sort of expect this.

The men's testosterone and adrenaline is all amped up due to their life style. Not only that but they are "away" from home and in ways "away" from the normal rules. You have to take the gentleman out of the fighter in order to get him to do the job properly.

Then you stick women in right next to them and you are asking for trouble. If there were no women present it would be the weaker more docile men much like prison.

Again I am not trying to justify any of the disgusting actions just trying to shed some light on why it might be taking place.

Raist

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Such inexcusable conduct has been going on for decades in the military.. Its only recently that its being brought to light.. Even if they win the lawsuit no amount of money will ever make up for what they went through and go through after being raped..

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I made the point that this "epidemic" is not new news because this marked increase has been going on over the past 10 years, not just recently. In this particular case, the fight has been going on since 2006.

And, frankly? I prefer my news on ATS to contain back stories, related stories, stories from different perspectives, and more OP commentary too. Why do I need to come to ATS to read a story that appears in 1000 other places with no additional information on the back story, no history (if applicable), and no value added other than "oh this is horrible."

But I'm sorry. Didn't mean to offend you.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
The military needs to provide brothels to its soldiers. its the only way to prevent this stuff, or at least drastically reduce the number of incidents

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Versalife
The military needs to provide brothels to its soldiers. its the only way to prevent this stuff, or at least drastically reduce the number of incidents

If am remembering correct.. Napoleon had brothels that travelled with his army..

new topics

top topics

join