It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Missionaries And Their Obsession With Conversion.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Christian Missionaries travel in the whole world, to convert people to Christianity. They employ every possible means to convert people to Christianity. Their main targets include poverty-stricken countries and their Illiterate, Impoverished, tribal populations who have very rich Indigenous cultures, which are closer to the nature. The rich cultural heritage of these countries is being destroyed by these missionaries, as once converted to Christianity strict measures are used to prohibit that person from participating in his cultural activities or follow the belief systems preached in his culture.

They setup Health-care and Educational infrastructure in poor countries, but only those are entitled to avail those facilities who agree to convert to Christianity. They lure poor people for conversion to Christianity by bribing them with money to buy land for farming and other alluring offers. In the guise of Humanitarian activities they actually promote class hatred among people by brainwashing them with fake stories about how Jesus is more powerful, and he listens to you more than your god. Your god is bad, mine is all powerful. Some people fall for it and some don't, resulting in division and hatred in their society.

Fear is instilled in them that devil will harm you, if you don't do what we say. Africa, India, Middle-east, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Indonesia, Bhutan, Vietnam are some places where these christian missionaries are perpetrating this cultural genocide. They are selling children's and young girls for slavery and prostitution, they are funding militants and terrorists organizations in Afghanistan, Pakistan and India.

Haiti Detains Missionaries for Child Trafficking

Ten Baptist missionaries from the U.S. have been arrested in Haiti after attempting to transport 33 Haitian children across the border to a temporary shelter in the Dominican Republic.

The missionaries, who claim they were trying to help the children, admitted they did not have the proper paperwork. Now the group is waiting behind bars for a Monday hearing that will determine whether they will be tried on child trafficking charges.
CBN

Africa and India are the most affected regions in the world with around 5000 conversions everyday happening in India, 10,000 Chinese everyday, 6 million every year in Africa. At this rate there would be hardly any culture left in these countries in the near future, and it would be a big loss for the whole world as a wealth of spiritual knowledge would be lost. I am from India and the christian missionaries here are an absolute menace to our society and rich ancient culture. Hear it from a social worker from Scandinavia.

If someone wants to get converted he will approach the church by himself, and not church coming to him.

CONVERT TO CHRISTIANITY OR DIE

Millions of African−Americans are Christians today because their ancestors were converted against their will to the religion of the slave-master. Hundreds of thousands of American−Indians are Christians today because the Christian missionaries converted their ancestors against their will. In Europe, it was the same thing. When Rome controlled most of the world, the Roman Emperor, Constantine, in 325 CE forced Christianity onto his subjects. The people of Lithuania did not become Christians because they read the gospels and decided to accept their teachings. On the contrary, the people of Lithuania were forced into Christianity against their will, as a result of relentless military force. Source

US spends $145 Billion annually for missionary activities, On an average $330,000 is required for every conversion, and 700 times more money for conversion in developed countries. Where is this money coming from? From you the common people in US, UK, Europe etc. you are donating it to them for alleviating poverty in the third world countries. But nothing is changing in those countries, expect this pointless conversion of religion of poor populations. So, I ask you

Why is this obsession of converting the religion of people.

Do they want to accomplish one world religion to have more control over people.

Do they want to destroy Indigenous cultures.

Conversions good or bad they serve no purpose : If you agree with this would you be still donating your Hard Earned money to them.
edit on 18/2/11 by vinay86 because: content.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
If people convert from one religion to another that is their business isn't it?

I see nothing wrong with people trying to spread their own ideas and belief systems.

We've had a huge influx of eastern religious ideas into this country, if people find value in them great, I don't see it as a "destruction of culture." Exposing people to other ideas is enriching.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Well, I can think of worse things than that.

For example, they could cut the heads off of anyone who didn’t convert.

They could car bomb cities that were not of their religion.

They could stone women for being raped.

God forbid they setup any type of educational system or medical system to help people.

My goodness, what horrible people they are.

Let’s be real – these people they witness to or convert are willing participants. They don’t have guns held to their head or have threats made to their families…

This is one of the most ludicrous topics I’ve ever seen here, which complains about absolutely nothing that is wrong.

These missionaries are helping the country.

These people beg them to stay when they have to leave.

The missionaries provide more than the countries own government does – and that’s a fact which I’ll argue with you until the earth ends.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by MentorsRiddle

These missionaries are helping the country.

No...they are promoting their own agenda - the help they give the indigenous people is nothing more than a slight-of-hand.

Want a free gift..? Come to our Sunday service and we will give you one

Want to learn english..? Here is the bible, open it up and let's begin 'the lesson'...

And let's not forget, being 'saved' by these people comes with a steep price - your free will is taken away.

But then again, what's the worth of free will when you don't have the resources to enjoy it..?

So, what have we learned here: missionaries or no missionaries, the general populace in third world nations are screwed either way.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SevenBeans

Obviously, you need to be converted to a different religion...your views are not compatible with mine...Seems ridiculous, not only seems, it is ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Yes – they are promoting their own agenda, WHICH THESE PEOPLE HAVE A CHOICE TO FOLLOW..

Nothing more than a slight of hand? So the medical stations and education they are giving doesn’t exist?

WOW! They should have a show in Las Vegas with a magic trick of that proportions!!!

You’re right – they teach them from the Holy Bible for English. I could think of worse things.

Their free will is taken?!?!? HAHAHAHAHAH – your right. From that point forward they become zombies and can’t think or choose anything for their self.

I see Christians every day fall from their faith – trust me, no free will is taken.

They are offered a life that they wouldn’t have received had these missionaries not have been there.

How have we learned that the populace is screwed with missionaries?

Is their situation better than before the missionaries came?

The answer to that question is YES – children are no longer dying from starvation – people are no longer dying from simple infections. They have clean clothes. Given an education.

Jeez – I had no idea how bad off they were after the missionaries came there (Sarcasm 100% intended).

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by fredgbear
Obviously, you need to be converted to a different religion...your views are not compatible with mine...Seems ridiculous, not only seems, it is ridiculous.

What's ridiculous is that you don't seem to understand human nature or freedom.

I have no problem with someone trying to "convert me" to their way of thinking (as long as they don't threaten to cut my head off etc. etc.). It happens all the time, in the context of religion and in a million other contexts.

When Christians for example, talk about their beliefs, what better way to demonstrate them in action than by being charitable to those in need? I see nothing sinister... would you prefer them to skip the charity?
edit on 18-2-2011 by SevenBeans because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Welcome to the sixteenth century. Nothing has really changed in the past five centuries in the spread of organized christianity (and others) except the more "toned down" approach to the conversion of souls. The message is still clear: convert or lose your immortal soul (die), it's just that nowadays the imminent result isn't immediately dispatched. The point about religious conversion is whether or not it is coerced, physically or psychologically. I haven't seen a hindu or buddhist going door-to-door with leaflets and bibles.

ganjoa

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I think my biggest complaint with this thread is that it makes out the good works of these people to be something bad.

I could think of more deserving topics to be worthy of my distain.

For example, lets take China - many people who even practice their religions are thrown in jail - although they hurt no one.

Islamic radicals kill people on a massive scale - in a brutal fashion.

Satanic groups kill and sacrafice animals and people for their religion.

Atheists bash anyone who does not beleive that there is no God.

I am a Christian, yet I still know there are Christians who bash people for not beleiving in their God - cutting them down, etc. Even this I could understand people being upset about.

But when it comes to bashing missionaries who are trying to do a good thing for people who are in poverty and dying - I just stand in complete awe at the audacity of this way of thinking.

I can only imagine that a selfish and self absorbed mind could find a negative in a wonderful work.

Some of these missinaries put their very lives on the line for people they have never met.

Some missionaries don't even preach or teach Christianity - they just sneek in and pass out medical supplies and bibles and get out before they are caught.

One of my good friends family lives in Africa, and have for most of their lives, hleping people.

They do it for God - yes - but they also do it because they love these people and want to see their quality of life raise.

This post, to me, is nothign but a hate filled and fear fueled rethoric that, again to me, ranks up there with racist remarks.

This is a shameful post and I can't beleive soemone could actually feel this way.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ganjoa
Welcome to the sixteenth century. Nothing has really changed in the past five centuries in the spread of organized christianity (and others) except the more "toned down" approach to the conversion of souls. The message is still clear: convert or lose your immortal soul (die), it's just that nowadays the imminent result isn't immediately dispatched. The point about religious conversion is whether or not it is coerced, physically or psychologically. I haven't seen a hindu or buddhist going door-to-door with leaflets and bibles.

Thanks for posting, this is is a good point why an Hindu, Buddhist doesn't act like a salesman selling their religion. Where I live there are whole bunch of religions like Sikhism, Jainism, Bahaism, Zoroastrianism all these religions are still a minority as compared to others, these religions establish there places of worship all over the world, but they also don't go door to door with pamphlets asking people to join them. This really makes me believe that there is a real hidden agenda behind Christianity and it is indeed linked to our souls.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MentorsRiddle
I think my biggest complaint with this thread is that it makes out the good works of these people to be something bad.

It's not bad, but let's just call it what it really is - marketing.

When you lead a conversation toward a specific topic or conclusion, it stops being about people and starts being about an agenda, a pitch. And when you are offering humanitarian relief in exchange for a pitch, that's just creepy and wrong. It reduces the human condition to not much more than a timeshare condo.

I say do good where it's needed, for it's own sake. Because it's the right thing to do and if it moves someone to question their own belief system, so be it.

I also find it interesting that so many mission trips are to exotic locales when really there are places in our own areas than need good Samaritans.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Ok - I'll bite.

What do you think the hidden meaning behind Christianity is?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I volunteered at a soup kitchen run by a Church (the only soup kitchen in this city by the way) even though I'm agnostic.

The only sign of "conversion activities" were a small cross on the wall, and a generic prayer of thanks before the meal.

Some of you come off as very paranoid. In my experience I've never seen anything that could remotely be described as "coercion."

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
This happened in 2008 in India....

Radical Hindus attack Christians over "forced conversions"

New Delhi - Communal tensions are on the rise in eastern India as radical Hindus in the state of Orissa have torched hundreds of churches and Christian homes since late August.
As in past confrontations in recent years, the violence between Hindus and Christians has centred in Orissa's Kandhamal district. Kandhamal lies in a remote mountainous region in the heart of Orissa, some 200 kilometres west of the state capital Bhubaneshwar. The district, home to some 600,000 people, is among India's poorest.
The majority of the population belongs to India's indigenous people that calls itself 'Adivasi,' which translates as 'first inhabitants.' The Adivasi maintain their own cultural identity and traditionally are animists, believing in nature spirits. But over the past few decades, tens of thousands of Adivasi converted to Christianity, mainly because many Christian aid organizations operating in the region were not only building schools and hospitals for the impoverished tribes people, but also brought their religion.
Today, almost a quarter of Kandhamal's population is Christian. The national proportion of Christians is only slightly over 2 per cent. Fundamentalist organizations like the Hindu World Council, or Vishva Hindu Parishad (VHP), have accused Christian aid workers of engaging in missionary work in the tribal areas. The VHP claim the aid workers routinely demand conversion to Christianity from the people in exchange for material assistance.
Source.
This is what missionaries do, spreading hatred between people and igniting violence. Forced conversions does not means conversion at gunpoint, it is about compelling a person to convert against his free will.
edit on 18/2/11 by vinay86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
We are just going to have to agree to disagree.

This is not the agenda or desire for all missionaries.

And to the ones that are... I don't call them missionaries, but woves in sheeps clothing.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by facelift
But then again, what's the worth of free will when you don't have the resources to enjoy it..?
So, what have we learned here: missionaries or no missionaries, the general populace in third world nations are screwed either way.

Thanks for posting, We the people of third world are screwed in more than one way, Missionaries and Freemasons were not even present here before colonialism, colonialism paved the way for both of these to enter our countries. Ever since then our governments, politicians and Industries are selling out to them for material wealth's, stealing our resources and exploitation of the masses is their only purpose here. Greedy Industrialists from US, UK and other rich countries are exploiting our resources and are transferring wealth to their countries. This is the main reason behind poverty.

Take the example of America, Christianity and freemasonry were not part of its culture or history, they were imposed upon it during colonization through violence and genocide. And look at the fate of native American Indians, there culture has been totally devastated.
edit on 19/2/11 by vinay86 because: Drag freemasonry out of your countries and do not donate to christian missionaries, you will do a big favour for third world people.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by SevenBeans
We've had a huge influx of eastern religious ideas into this country, if people find value in them great, I don't see it as a "destruction of culture." Exposing people to other ideas is enriching.

Do they lure you with money for accepting those Ideas. Don't compare culture with religion, Religious teachings are the modified version of the original teachings of culture. Culture preaches about the true way of living life, it teaches about living life in a wholesome way and how to be in harmony with our physical and spiritual self.

If you think, Teachings about Jesus and Devil comes under cultural enrichment than you are absolutely mistaken.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by vinay86
Christian Missionaries travel in the whole world, to convert people to Christianity. They employ every possible means to convert people to Christianity. Their main targets include poverty-stricken countries and their Illiterate, Impoverished, tribal populations who have very rich Indigenous cultures, which are closer to the nature. The rich cultural heritage of these countries is being destroyed by these missionaries, as once converted to Christianity strict measures are used to prohibit that person from participating in his cultural activities or follow the belief systems preached in his culture.

They setup Health-care and Educational infrastructure in poor countries, but only those are entitled to avail those facilities who agree to convert to Christianity. They lure poor people for conversion to Christianity by bribing them with money to buy land for farming and other alluring offers. In the guise of Humanitarian activities they actually promote class hatred among people by brainwashing them with fake stories about how Jesus is more powerful, and he listens to you more than your god. Your god is bad, mine is all powerful. Some people fall for it and some don't, resulting in division and hatred in their society.

Christianity in Africa and the Third World.

Lucifer

The first thing that needs to be pointed out is that the "Jesus" business is a multi-billion dollar business, and that the religion business yields not only the highest profit margin of any business (since they are selling no-thing) but also that it requires little or no Capital investment to set up since there are no tangible products to sell, and thus it is an ideal business in the impoverished Third World where innocents are ripe for exploitation.

I have travelled throughout the Third World in my 52 years of life and I just recently returned from 5 weeks in Africa (not in a tourist resort but in a local village), and I can honestly say that religion is as big a curse on Africa and the Third World as poverty, tyranny and corruption.

Part of the problem is that the naive Western missionaries who go to Africa and the Third World are products of Western society; they often do "not" go with the intention of exploiting anyone but they do not realise the disease which their good intentions leave behind.

The consequence of Christianity in Africa is myriads of independent churches which are little more than exorcism and fake miracle businesses. which prey on the poorest and most vulnerable people, women, children, the sick and the disabled.

If you have 50 minutes to spare, the Channel 4 film on Nigerian Christianity is an insight into the sickening nature of African Christianity where children are accused of being possessed by demons, are often enslaved, beaten or killed, and often their only hope is to have someone pay a clergyman, often several months wages to perform some silly exorcism ritual.

See;
www.youtube.com...//www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D7al9cR0hYF8

I have heard Western Christians argue that such African and Third World Christians who prey on the poor and the vulnerable are not "true" Christians, but this is simply not the case. Part of the problem is that the Christian image of a perfect man (i.e., Jesus) is a model of a religious shizophrenic, a fake miracle worker and an exorcist.

Consider:

The Seven Signs (extract).

Lucifer

It seems that almost every thread on popular "Religion" forums on the Internet is often hijacked and turned into an excuse for endless inane ramblings by the Biblical fanatics, all of whom are charlatans who do not genuinely exhibit the 7 signs, nor do they even believe in them, and further they are all entirely aware that the fraudulent claims of their dead god can be disproven.

"He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."
Mark 16.

Consider the 7 Signs of those who are allegedly "not" condemned according to the Gospel of Mark

1: You must believe.
2: You must be baptised.
3: You must be able to perform exorcisms.
4: You must be able to speak in New Tongues.
5: You must be able to pick up serpents.
6: You must be able to safely drink any deadly poison.
7: You must be able to lay hands on the sick and miraculously cure them.

If you do not have the 7 signs, you are allegedly condemned by the fictional first century religious fanatic and fake healer Jesus, and you won't get to spend all eternity with other fake healers and religious charlatans.

[t was also falsely stated by the fictional Jesus of the Gospels that you would do even "greater things than he."

We know that Christians cannot safely drink poison or miraculously cure leprosy and blindness, and since the professional Christian hypnotists know this also, they have just developed this much easier "belief only" theology, where you just become a rambling religious fanatic, talk incessantly about the teachings of Jesus, and yet reject the teachings of Jesus, apart from a few ethical maxims about love and so forth, which were common to that era; it is really just all about "believing" and about acting like a total hypocrite and being eternally rewarded for that.

Unfortunately many professional hypnotists of the multi-billion dollar Jesus business "do" claim to be able to
perform miracles and they simply prey on the sick, the elderly, the disabled and the vulnerable.

Unfortunately this kind of exorcism and fake healing business is ideal for the impoverished, uneducated, unscientific and gullible population of the Third World.

Shame on the Christians. Woe to you. Great and Terrible and Dreadful and Wrathful is the curse that you place on yourselves by spreading this vile religion; this damnable lie; this blasphemy against humankind that would have innocents tremble in fear before a fictional and sadistic god and his professional hypnotists.

Lux

"The criticism of religion is the premise of all criticism."
Marx

edit on 19-2-2011 by Lucifer777 because: mis-spelling-itis

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
20 years ago I came across a big pile of money, and I decided to give half to charity (app the equalent of a big, modern suburban house)

In the country I live in, what then seemed to be the best place to send these money, was a christian organisation, which had low administration costs.

I contacted the organisation, I explained, that I wanted to give money only to physical/educational charity. NOT to missionary activity.

"Yes, ofcourse" I was told, and as the fool I was, I trusted these christians, and gave them the money. Soon after I was interviewed in their national magazine, and under the interview, I to my surprised discovered, that I'd been scammed (in a rather condescending way on top of it).

The whole thing was about missioning, the charity was just bait. Since then I've been extremely wary concerning the trustworthiness of evangelist christians.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
id say the flaw lied in the manditory conversion to Consciousness of ones own likeness,

Consciousness is variously defined as subjective experience, awareness, the ability to experience "feeling", wakefulness, the understanding of the concept "self", or the executive control system of the mind

Life (cf. biota) is a characteristic that distinguishes objects that have signaling and self-sustaining processes (biology) from those that do not,[1][2] either because such functions have ceased (death), or else because they lack such functions and are classified as inanimate.[

^ a b Koshland Jr, Daniel E. (March 22, 2002). "The Seven Pillars of Life". Science 295 (5563): 2215–2216. doi:10.1126/science.1068489. PMID 11910092. Retrieved 2009-05-25.

2^ The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition, published by Houghton Mifflin Company, via Answers.com:
"The property or quality that distinguishes living organisms from dead organisms and inanimate matter, manifested in functions such as metabolism, growth, reproduction, and response to stimuli or adaptation to the environment originating from within the organism."
"The characteristic state or condition of a living organism."

This natural curiosity has led to the development of advanced tools and skills, which are passed down culturally; humans are the only species known to build fires, cook their food, clothe themselves, and use numerous other technologies.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join