It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Wildfires Rage in Three Western States.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   
The Wildfires have already claimed six homes in Carlson city, Nevada, and the wildfires still continue unchecked threatening 600 other homes and businesses. Major power lines are being threatened also to Lake Tahoa and Carlson' city's water system the article states. Officials say a person started the fire before dawn on Wednesday near a waterfall on a creek frequented by juveniles. A group of juveniles is being wanted for questioning. Another two significant fires in Alaska and California are raging and threatening homes as several others are being evacuated.

Wildfires burn in three Western states
Gusty winds pushed the fire to an estimated 9,400 acres by Thursday evening, stretching about four miles along the state capital’s western edge and spreading a plume of smoke overhead. NBC affiliate KVBC reported that high winds continued to fuel the fires, and hundreds of firefighters had been dispatched to help control what's been called the worst fire in the city's history.

In Alaska, where wildfires were burning on nearly 2.5 million acres, firefighters worked to build a firebreak about a quarter mile from Eagle, population 126.

Other significant wildfires were burning in California. Firefighters working in triple-digit heat slowly gained ground against wildfires that have burned more than 21,000 acres of brush and forest and caused hundreds of people to evacuate homes this week.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Nine fires are said to have been started by lightning two weeks ago in Yosemite National Park, which are still burning. The fires in Alaska were also started by lightning, where nearly 2.5 million acres are burning.

--------edited to update--------

Related News
Alaska: Kenai River Trail fire blamed on lightning

Real-time information on current fires status and early warning

[edit on 15-7-2004 by Muaddib]

[edit on 16-7-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   
The following are satellite pictures of these fires courtesy of NOAA.

The following is a loop of a group of satellite pictures where you can see the fires in South Florida and other southern states.

Loop of Satellite Images, Florida

The next link is to a loop of satellite pictures on the Fires raging in California and other states.

Loop of Satellite Images, California

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   
The following link was provided by another member of ATS, Spacedoubt, who is close to Carson city and to the fires. Spacedoubt describes the link as " a video of Channel 4 krnv, where a reporter and a camera man barely escape the flames."
www.krnv.com...

If any other members that live close to these fires can provide any information it will be appreciated, comments are also welcomed. Lets hope these fires are contained in time before they threaten more people and homes.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Bah...how close is spacedoubt to carson? I'm walking distance and figured no one from ATS was even remotely near me....within a hundred miles or so...lol

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Freemason,

Really close..Muahahaha...
j/k
I am not within walking distance, so not as close as you.
I'll bet you smell like smoke right now!

I've talked to a number of folks who have been up on the firelines as well.

It's crazy, the small spot-fires, turn into Blazing secondary wildfires within seconds.
It's mostly a fire they are watching, trying to fight, but it Never layed down last night. Thats been a problem, and the winds too.
Overnight, it went from 1900 acres to almost 11,000.
As of this evening it was still 0 percent contained.

Best of luck to the 1000 firefighters, working their butts off.

Space out

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   
That's sagebrush for you
but where are you at?
Just U2U me or such cause this is way off topic

new topics

top topics

join