It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

111 charged in Medicare scams worth $225 million

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

111 charged in Medicare scams worth $225 million

news.yahoo.com

MIAMI – Federal authorities charged more than 100 doctors, nurses and physical therapists in nine cities with Medicare fraud Thursday, part of a massive nationwide bust that snared more suspects than any other in history.

More than 700 law enforcement agents fanned out to arrest dozens of people accused of illegally billing Medicare more than $225 million. The arrests are the latest in a string of major busts in the past two years as authorities have struggled to pare the fraud that's believed to cost the government between $60 billion and $90 billion each year.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
These raids were carried out in 9 cities and are part of the healthcare overhaul, and it's a good thing.

Simply going after this kind of fraud can go a long way toward paying for the cost of the new healthcare plan, couldn't it?

Identifying and prosecuting this kind of corruption, which is part of the reason why existing coverage costs so much, is a step in the right direction.

More in this video...this is a widespread abuse problem ranging from physicians to pharmacists to nurses.

news.yahoo.com

edit on 2/18/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
This really pisses me off! My mother is 76 and has Medicaid and Medicare and they won't pay for crap!! She had a head on collision last year. And got Merca in one of the hospitals she was in......and they will not pay for her to have intervenus antibiotics. Which, to my understanding, is one of the ONLY ways you can get control of MERCA. (Superbug Stafff infection). And it is crap like this that makes it so hard for people like my mother to get coverage when the genuinely need it!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Angelicdefender2012

Sorry to hear about your mom's troubles. It horrific that it's so hard for your mother and so many others to get the simple coverage they need because of these criminals. These people are stealing directly from your mother and directly affecting her health and well being. I hope they catch more of them everyday.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

More than 700 law enforcement agents fanned out to arrest dozens of people accused of illegally billing Medicare more than $225 million. The arrests are the latest in a string of major busts in the past two years as authorities have struggled to pare the fraud that's believed to cost the government between $60 billion and $90 billion each year.

correction......it costs the american people between $60 billion and $90 billion each year.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Angelicdefender2012
This really pisses me off! My mother is 76 and has Medicaid and Medicare and they won't pay for crap!! She had a head on collision last year. And got Merca in one of the hospitals she was in......and they will not pay for her to have intervenus antibiotics. Which, to my understanding, is one of the ONLY ways you can get control of MERCA. (Superbug Stafff infection). And it is crap like this that makes it so hard for people like my mother to get coverage when the genuinely need it!

I'm sorry to hear about your mother, it's awful that they won't pay for her intravenous antibios. I hope you don't mind me making a suggestion, but you might want to look into a zapper. Zappers can clear all sorts of infections, including suberbugs, and cost comparatively very little. Just a thought..............

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by CastleMadeOfSand

Got your point. You are correct, though it means basically the same thing. This was probably written in respect to who's actually doing the paying out for us. Besides, the money was probably borrowed anyway, so we could go a step further and say it probably gets this and many future generations of Americans this much more in debt plus interest.
Overall, this is a positive step though, don't you agree?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Thank you for that. And I too, hope they catch them all.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
The government should have cracked down on this fraud and corruption long ago. It is the main reason why our doctor's visits are like Russian Roulette in terms of cost and if our insurance even covers it. Moreover, it is the reason why we have this Gestapo style Healthcare plan being impressed upon us by our benevolent leaders.

The medical establishment has been raping and pillaging government medical services for years, and now all of a sudden they feel compelled to act? The Justice Department should have been on top of this from day one, and cracking down hard on corruption and fraud. Moreover, that should have applied to the tactics of the insurance companies as well, and all of their denials and others cash grabbing tactics.

Perhaps, the big conspiracy is the why the government did nothing for all years to maintain the viability and integrity in the medical industry? Instead of regulating a form of commerce which is their duty, they would rather regulate and control us. Just a thought. It is too bad, people not only have to suffer an illness, but have to suffer severe consequences to their bottom line as well. It seems the whole thing is by design. Government manufactures a crisis, and when everything goes to hell, they march in like the saviors taking more away than what they give. It is good that these thugs in the medical industry were brought to justice, but where were the federal authorities for all these years? That is my pet peeve about all of this.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Thankyou Op, this is very important. In the town in which I reside, about six months ago, the FBI raided a local Pharmacy. It made the local news and there was lots of agents all around. Next thing ya know, the pharmacy is back open, no charges were apparently filed and the news stopped covering the issue. Problem is the way I see it, the doctors will not be held accountable, this was all just a "ruse", to make sure these FBI/DEA agents have job security.

new topics

top topics

join