It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Simulated Mars Landing Hunts for "Artifacts"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I sincerely don't know what to make of this report but the term used really is 'artifacts', with all the implications which that involves.

At the kp.ru... website of a Moscow newspaper (Russian only -- sorry!) author Masha Gorelova wrote a forecast of the activity involving Russian Aleksandr Smoleyevskiy and Chinese astronaut trainer Wang Yueh today.

One intriguing sentence: "Они установят на грунте научные инструменты и с помощью магнитометра попытаются найти зарытые в грунте артефакты."

The way I read it, they will practice using a 'magnetometer' (metal detector?) to search for buried artifacts. Now, they might just mean nickel-iron meteorites, but still, it's a weird exercise.

The regular news agency report of today's second simulated 'Mars walk' is very ordinary and does not mention 'artifacts':

Russian, Chinese participants of Mars-500 experiment land on 'Red Planet surface'
Moscow Interfax-AVN Online in English 1205 GMT 18 Feb 11
KOROLYOV. Feb 18 (Interfax-AVN) - Two participants of the experiment simulating a mission to the Red Planet, Mars-500, began a second simulated landing on the Martian surface on Friday, an official from the Russian Institute of Medical and Biological Problems told Interfax-AVN.
The Marsonauts' work in a module simulating the Martian surface is broadcast live from one of the control rooms at the Mission Control Center near Moscow.
"Russian Alexander Smoleyevsky and Chinese Wang Yue are participating in the simulation of the second landing on the Red Planet surface. Work at the simulating module will last for about an hour," he said.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

here
Just wanted to share the video from RT news about the "Mars 500" landing sim

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

It's an odd turn of phrase to use in a Mars context. Even allowing for translation error or perhaps the Russian noun having multiple synonyms for 'artifact,' it remains quite clear about using a magnetometer to look for them. Puzzling indeed.

It's standard kit for probes studying magnetic fields, but a hand-held version seems unusual. On top of that, with every gram weight being factored into the cost of space missions, why would such equipment even be considered? Surely there's other equipment that would provide more important data? Also, wouldn't it be a waste of resources (air etc) to have our theoretical Mars explorer using valuable time on a wild goose chase?

It's the only article on-line that makes the claim of looking for artifacts (that I've found)...perhaps the writer has misunderstood the use of magnetometers in the simulation?

Have you thought any more on what the exercise could be for?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
deleted.
edit on 18-2-2011 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
My earlier response was to voice wonder of why in the world (pun intended) the Russians were doing "simulations" of a walk around on Mars looking for buried "artifacts." It makes no sense according to what we know.

What do we know? The former Soviets and Russians have had about 17 to 20 totally failures of attempts to study Mars. That ranges from orbiters to landers. They claim about four "partially success" probes. A couple zipped right by it, but one of which lasted 5 minutes on the surface--but at least they hit the planet--we've had a couple like that ourselves!.

Their one and only successful mission was Mars 3 back in 1971. (Some accounts list the successful mission as Mars 5.) The joke used to be among NASA folks that there was a "Mars Monster" out there-and evidently it sometimes even lurked within Earth's orbital ranges--to thwart the Soviet's attempts. Maybe it had a little help?

I have pointed out elsewhere that in the early days of our countries investigating where UFOs came from...ooops, I mean in the pure scientific investigations of the planets, the Soviets seemed to shoot for Venus and we chose Mars. The Soviets had marginal success with Venus, enough to decide that it was not suitiable for UFO pilots and turned to Mars were we virtually had the territory staked out already. But the bottom line is they have almost no reason whatsoever to be doing any simulations from a manned craft on the surface of Mars.

I said "almost no reason." If we want to allow that the triangles are space capabably and can and do whip around the Moon and perhaps Mars with ease, then I, at least, can see some possibility of a treasure-finding excursion to Mars in the near future for the Russians. Maybe they have struck a deal with the Mars Monster and are more optimstic of their chances these days?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
The way this article describes Mining Mars, it's not going to be like Earth.
Minerals will be different. So I'm sure who ever may land when ever they do the first thing would be to see if they could detect anything metal.

news.discovery.com...

new topics

top topics

join