It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please help; 4x4 rental L.A.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Hello!

Doing sort of a road trip this summer and need to know where in LA I can find a 4x4 rental.
It rather be cheap than sterling. Used cars, no problem (though it is mandatory with a working AC).

Know any sites worth looking up? Did a check just now at sidestep.com but they only came up with brand new SUV's and stuff that were in the price range of $40/day and up (even though that is kind of a fair deal, we'll be renting for 3 weeks and then it won't be such a bargin no more). Would love to get below $30/day...

Any tips are very much welcome!

And yes, we will drive past Groom Lake!

Peace out, ya'll! See you on the road!

/Raud

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Raud

I don't know where you could get one. If you do find one, and your doing off road traveling make sure is has a low gear for the 4x4, AKA 4-low. late GM 01 to 06 Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon and up have this feature. Subaru is also good for off road. and the infamous Jeep.

Some new SUV 4x4 GM and other do not have a 4-low gear anymore.

good luck.

edit on 18-2-2011 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Raud

Try Enterprise rent a car...
Tell them what you need and for how long, where you are going, etc and I bet that they can fix ya up...they even have weekly/monthly rentals....

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SJE98

Jeep is infamous now? Sad to hear that the old classics aren't up to standards anymore

Thanks for the heads up on the 4-low!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by rangersdad

Awesome!

Thank you very much!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/de32962ea7cc.png[/atsimg]

pfft...shameless me

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Okay, for future reference I have now solved the rental issue. Through a site called Travel Jigsaw I came into contact with a sub-group that handles car rentals world wide and somehow manages to get crazy low prices (I fool you not if I say that prices can easily differ with $500 from dealer to dealer).
I scored a pretty fair deal with Alamo which handed me a brand new "intermediate" 4x4 to have for 24 days for about $1000 (all fees and taxes included). I even get to pick the ride of my choice from a (probably pretty limited) selection to make sure I get satisfied.

Thank you anyway for all replies!

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
We rented a Huyndai Santa Fe AWD from Alamo through Travel Jigsaw. Wasn't expensive at all given the outstanding quality of the vehicle. Besides, they guy in the parking lot offered us a MUCH larger SUV for the same price, but we decided to go with the asian SUV to spare our budget. Turned out to be a real good choice.
No thanks to that MORON at the Alamo LAX office. He was one of maybe two or three people during the entire trip that was just too god damn unfriendly. What a jerk.

Aaanyway; here is the trip to be seen on film: USA ROADTRIP 2011

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Raud

Just go rent a Jeep TJ.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Raud

Most rental companies use newer vehicles so they are still under warranty, etc. They sell them at a certain point, and replace them...they don't use older vehicles.

Besides, do you really want to drive out in the desert with something older? I'd want the whole shabang (roadside assistance, etc.)

new topics

top topics

join