It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dodged a solar bullet.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by sapien82

It is not the ionosphere which deflects solar particles. The charged particles of the CME are affected by the magnetosphere. That is why the magnetic orientation of the solar wind is important. When it is northward, as it has been through most of this event, the particles cannot enter as easily. When the particles are captured by the magnetosphere they are directed to the polar regions where the magnetic field directs them into the upper reaches of the atmosphere. The particles are neutralized by the atoms of the atmosphere. This is what causes the aurora.

The increased ionization is just an enhanced version of what occurs in the outer atmosphere under normal conditions. High energy electromagnetic radiation removes electrons from atoms, creating charged particles (ions). Depending on the level of ionization, these layers of particles reflect radio waves rather than letting them pass through into space.

This would be a good opportunity for me to add that almost all of the ultraviolet and all of the x-ray radiation from the flare is absorbed by the atmosphere long before it reaches the Earth's surface. It poses no danger to us even during the strongest of solar flares. On the other hand, space walking astronauts would be well advised to go back indoors during an event.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
this is interesting- i didn't know anything about this before i read this thread.
i live in pennsylvania and it has been a long cold winter but the past few days it has been around 50-60 degrees.
what now has me wondering is yesterday we had a beautiful sunny warm day but around 2pm(et) my power suddenly went out for about 5 minutes and i lost the net for over an hour.
any possibility this is what caused that to happen?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfoot1212

Slightly elevated geomagnetic activity began at about 8:00PM eastern.
It's unlikely it was related.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
ok thanks phage- was just curious if it could have been related. just seemed strange that with all the snow and ice this winter i never lost power until a nice day.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I'm glad your first thread back was good news. In my conspiratorial imagination I envisioned that back in November, Phage had discovered some evidence of a cataclysmic event to reek destruction on the Earth, and that for the last 3 months you had not so much as logged on to ATS because you were too busy and consumed by the research of the coming event.

I feared the day you would post a thread on ATS announcing the news of Earth's demise. Thankfully, this wasn't the case, and to the contrary, you ended up posting about how we dodged a bullet.

Today, is a good day. Great thread Phage

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
i am going to say something that will probably be unpopular.

If any other member had posted this post .. Phage would be the first one in to tell them it had already been posted and is currently discussed on countless other posts... dont say its the same topic from a different angle , coz topic is topic .. all angles should be discussed in existing threads

nothing personal i find you intelligent if not a little short with most members Phage..

why did you not add this to an existing thread on the topic?

Do you think your cult status on ATS allows you to lecture with one hand and do something different with the other?

nice topic would have enjoyed reading it elsewhere though.

Just an observation....

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

edit on 18-2-2011 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

why though?

why here?
edit on 18-2-2011 by Lysergic because: why u mad bro

why not?

just coz i got the balls to say what half the people are thinking ......

Like i said if this was someone elses thread Phage would be in that post like a flash pointing this out ..

i am returning the favour.. ( and no he has never done that to me
)

anyway i do not want to derail this interesting topic so i will not discuss my observation further .. as its just that .. an observation...

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
btw, the solar flare that disrupted radio comm in china wasn't the X2.2, it was the M class

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Greetings Earthlings, Assorted Visitors and member Phage:

Even though I have not had the pleasure to meet you as yet, I will also welcome you back. I read with heightened awareness and truly enjoyed your post and have a question that others may be interested in also.

If one chooses to believe that there may be elevated levels of barium and aluminum salts, polymer fibers, thorium, and/or silicon carbide in the atmosphere, would any latent incoming electromagnetic energy, errant protons and electrons or ultraviolet and x-ray radiation or "electronic plasma" continue to affect our Fragile Earth? Is there even any residual effect from the geomagnetic storm and subsequent continued interaction with Earth's magnetosphere?

Are we able to measure and analogize the data from the last three days and formulate a better plan for an optimal response (say, minimally for equipment protection before the next significant magnetic reconnection producing more events of interest in the near future (is that really only two weeks before planetfall)?

Will the USA follow the UK's plan for shutting down the power? Is that even feasible on a large scale here? What? No Dancing With the Stars? No cold beer? No lights? Do people even remember the blackout of 2003 in New York, the second biggest in history after the 1999 Brazil catastrophe?

The Northeast Blackout of 2003 was a massive widespread power outage that occurred throughout parts of the Northeastern and Midwestern United States and Ontario, Canada on Thursday, August 14, 2003, at approximately 4:11 p.m. EDT (UTC-04). At the time, it was the second most widespread electrical blackout in history, after the 1999 Southern Brazil blackout. The blackout affected an estimated 10 million people in Ontario and 45 million people in eight U.S. states.
New York, New York

The 1999 Southern Brazil blackout was a very large power outage (at the time the largest ever) that occurred in Brazil on March 11, 1999. The blackout involved São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Minas Gerais, Goiás, Mato Grosso, Mato Grosso do Sul and Rio Grande do Sul, affecting an estimated 75 to 97 million people.[1][2] A chain reaction was started when a lightning strike occurred at 22h 16m at an electricity substation in Bauru, São Paulo State causing most of the 440kV circuits at the substation to trip. Brazil was undergoing a severe investment crisis during 1999, which limited spending on maintenance and expansion of the power grid.
BRAZIL'99

Good thing we are up-to-date with our maintenance and infrastructure here in America.

In Rio the military police placed 1,200 men in the streets to avoid looting. In São Paulo, traffic authorities announced they closed the city's tunnels to prevent assaults. More than 60,000 people were on Rio's subway when lights went out. At midnight, power began returning to some areas.

I wonder, considering the (lack of) response in previous disasters, do we even have enough National Guard and equipment to respond in a significant way to prevent total collapse of the system? Oh, that's the plan? Ya' think?

And what was learned from these "wake-up calls?" What do you think the sheeple's response would be? And you think the stores emptied fast before the last snowstorm? In this case, the stores would not be resupplied until the power is back on...weeks, or months, if ever. As a first responder, I witnessed our government at their finest moments in Katrina, Rita, Ike, etc.

You would think they would get it right once in a while, NOT! Is this just conditioning before THE BIG ONE??? Sorry, where were we? Oh, yeah, this big event.

OK, permit me one more. Is there a Plan in place and where could one peruse said Plan. Does it include some sort of "Emergency Response Electrical Generation System" to "save" the sheeple and keep the beer cold? If there even be any beer available...TPTB are in the habit of banning all alcohol sales immediately after an event. Aha! The National Guard has generators! Send in the troops! Houston, we have another problem. But I digress.

Holy Crap! CNN just had two stories back-to-back on CME's and Apophis. The commentator closed with, "We had better pay up those insurance policies!" Dumbed-down, spoon-fed and SHOCKERED! We are being told something significant is going to happen, and they know it.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Following is additional information that was shared about a week ago, making an interesting introduction to recent events. I think it ties in quite nicely with your up-to-date information on this timely subject. As you alluded to, we are not out of the woods by any means, mon frere.

This updated version of a previous post is intended to provide additional eye candy to attempt to draw your attention to the relevant information contained herein. This is a test, people. Please open your workbooks and sign in and thank you for your undivided attention. Seatbacks in the upright position, buckle your seatbelts...onward through the fog!

"OOPS...we have a problem, Houston."

Without warning, the relatively calm solar atmosphere of our seemingly benevolent Sun can be torn asunder by sudden outbursts of a scale unknown on Earth. Catastrophic events of incredible energy...stretching up to halfway across the visible solar surface, suddenly and unpredictably open up and expel their contents, defying the Sun's enormous gravity.

This is a coronal mass ejection (CME), a massive burst of solar wind, other light isotope plasma, and magnetic fields rising above the solar corona or being released into space.

Coronal mass ejections are often associated with other forms of solar activity, most notably solar flares, but a causal relationship has not been established. Most ejections originate from active regions on Sun's surface, such as groupings of sunspots associated with frequent flares. CMEs occur during both the solar maxima and the solar minima of sun activity, albeit with decreased frequency during the minima.

Coronal mass ejections release huge quantities of matter and electromagnetic radiation into space above the sun's surface, either near the corona or farther into the planet system or beyond (interplanetary CME - remember this term and look for it in the MSM). The ejected material is a plasma consisting primarily of electrons and protons, but may contain small quantities of heavier elements such as helium, oxygen, and even iron. It is associated with enormous changes and disturbances in the coronal magnetic field. Coronal mass ejections are usually observed with a white-light coronagraph.

Recent scientific research has shown that the phenomenon of magnetic reconnection is responsible for CME and solar flares. Magnetic reconnection is the name given to the rearrangement of magnetic field lines when two oppositely directed magnetic fields are brought together. This rearrangement is accompanied with a sudden release of energy stored in the original oppositely directed fields.

On the sun, magnetic reconnection may happen on solar arcades—a series of closely occurring loops of magnetic lines of force. These lines of force quickly reconnect into a low arcade of loops, leaving a helix of magnetic field unconnected to the rest of the arcade. The sudden release of energy in this reconnection causes the solar flare. The unconnected magnetic helical field and the material that it contains may violently expand outwards forming a CME.

This also explains why CMEs and solar flares typically erupt from what are known as the active regions on the sun where magnetic fields are much stronger on average.

IMPACT ON PLANET EARTH

When the ejection is directed towards the Earth and reaches it as an interplanetary CME (ICME), the shock wave of the traveling mass of Solar Energetic Particles causes a geomagnetic storm that may disrupt the Earth's magnetosphere, compressing it on the day side and extending the night-side magnetic tail. When the magnetosphere reconnects on the nightside, it releases power on the order of terawatt scale, which is directed back toward the Earth's upper atmosphere. THIS CANNOT BODE WELL FOR THE LIVING CREATURES ON EARTH...ya think?.

This process can cause particularly strong auroras in large regions around Earth's magnetic poles. These are also known as the Northern Lights (aurora borealis) in the northern hemisphere, and the Southern Lights (aurora australis) in the southern hemisphere. Coronal mass ejections, along with solar flares of other origin, can disrupt radio transmissions and cause damage to satellites and electrical transmission line facilities, resulting in potentially massive and long-lasting power outages.

Humans in space or at high altitudes, for example, in airplanes, risk exposure to intense radiation. Short-term damage might include skin irritation. Long-term consequences might include an increased risk of developing skin cancer.

This has happened recently, albeit on a smaller scale.

On 1 August 2010, during solar cycle 24, scientists at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA) observed a series of four large CMEs emanating from the Earth-facing hemisphere. The initial CME was generated by an eruption on August 1 associated with sunspot 1092, a sunspot which was large enough to be seen without the aid of a solar telescope. The event produced significant aurorae on August 4.

I also find the following to be of significant interest and I share with all. I think Clif is on to something here. Into the rabbit hole we merrily skip, eyes wide open, humming a tune..."Ticket to Ride?...

>

I hope some of you are still in the saddle, because it just gets better...check this out:

"ALTA Process"

Here at Half Past Human, we forecast the future.

We are not alone in forecasting the future, all humans do it to some degree. Just a quick search of the internet will provide dozens of forms of future forecasting. Some use astrology, some use other methods.

We employ a technique based on radical linguistics to reduce extracts from readings of dynamic postings on the internet into an archetypical database. With this database of archtypical language, we calculate the rate of change of the language. The forecasts of the future are derived from these calculations. Our calculations are based on a system of associations between words and numeric values for emotional responses from those words. These 'emotional impact indicators' are also of our own devising. They are attached to a data base of over 300/three hundred thousand words. This data base of linked words/phrases and emotions is our lexicon from which the future forecasting is derived."

MORE

Also, to further your journey down this particular rabbit hole (this is, IMHO, a false flag to draw attention to the real possibility of an "event" in mid to late October which involves Elinin and a recently-found new guest to the table...2005 YU55...which arrives just in time for the "11-11-11" prophecies (the actual date is 8/11/2011).

The rock, 2005YU55 has been documented at about 400 meters/1312 feet in size and inbound at about 15.5 kps/34 672 mph/50 853/sec.

Compare this to Elinin: NO SIZE, and inbound at 23.7 kps/53 015 mph. To make it something to actually relate to (can you actually conceptualize 53 000 mph?), it is 25 918 yards per second...about 260 football fields laid end-to-end PER SECOND.

Now, here is where it gets interesting. It has not exactly been frontpage news in the drive-by media (thanks Rush) that 2005 YU55 will come inside the orbit of the moon. The moon being about 384 403 km/238 857 miles distance from Earth, 2005 YU55 will whiz between the Earth and the Moon at a distance of 315 000 km/201/314 miles.

Question? Do these figures indicate that 2005 YU55 will pass by the Moon at about 69 403 km/371 miles distance on 8/11/2011? That's only 12 780 605 488 inches. Seems close to me. Just saying...

How about the fact that there is here-to-fore NO PUBLISHED evidence of the size of Elinin, but it is described as a comet. And we have no telescopes cabable of accomplishing this? Or, TPTB have something else in mind for the sheeple.

"A comet is an icy small Solar System body that, when close enough to the Sun, displays a visible coma (a thin, fuzzy, temporary atmosphere) and sometimes also a tail. These phenomena are both due to the effects of solar radiation and the solar wind upon the nucleus of the comet. Comet nuclei are themselves loose collections of ice, dust, and small rocky particles, ranging from a few hundred meters to tens of kilometers across. In the case of Temple1 (foto below), it happens to be 4.6 MILES by 3 MILES, and weighing in at 70-110 BILLION TONS.

Comets have been observed since ancient times and have historically been considered bad omens.

Ya think?

Time is getting short.

Thoughts, anyone?

In Peace & Light
tfw

edit on 18/2/2011 by thorfourwinds because: lynx

edit on 18/2/2011 by thorfourwinds because: more lynx

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
another flare just happened. New Sun Spot....
"Fast-growing active region 1161 erupted this morning, producing an M6.6-class solar flare at 1011 UT. The almost-X category blast was one of the strongest flares in years and continued the week-long trend of high solar activity." -- www.spaceweather.com

plus two Earthquakes in the US. One on the New Madrid and One in Mexico/Cali, 4.3 and 5.1 respectively.

Science rocks. Very interesting times we are living in...

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Hi Phage,

good to see you back on ATS, talking about a subject that is fascinating. We are so lucky these days with the information we can access at our fingertips about the suns activity.

Arent there some new craft heading up there to the Sun soon to monitor space weather?

G.

edit on 18-2-2011 by grantbeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Maximus_Prime

Are you saying the sun is causing earthquakes here on Earth?

-----------------------------
It sounds to me like we need to find a way to shield the Earth from ALL coronal mass ejections.
How about heavy duty aluminium foil 500,000 miles X 500,000 miles square at about 300,000 miles
away? We would only put it in place 12 hours before projected impact on Earth.
-----------------------------
Most of the time the sun actually helps here on Earth. We just need to take action when
the CMEs come directly at us.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

I don't really know. I know many people have speculated about the EQ thing, but without the science and the educated understanding, I am not going to bite. I have seen way too many youtube videos about, the Big one happening in 3 days or whatever because of some Sun Spot.

I like to believe everything is connection, through string theory, other forces, etc. But like most people, the more you know, the less you know...

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by thorfourwinds

I think that is the longest thread i have ever read here at ATS.
A+ for content.
--------------------------------
I heard that a lot of the blackouts in Brazil were caused by hackers shutting down the power grids.
Maybe they learned to switch to "manual control" for a while.
This internet technology is really cool BUT if you want a truly reliable power grid just
disable remote control and switch to manual.
You want another generator started and put online? Make a phone call to the local technician/
electrician at the power plant.
Better yet allow internet monitoring only. -- No control --
--------------------------------
It looks like this CME show is over.
It glanced off our northern pole.
-- Glanced off Nothern Pole --

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The strangest thing just happened. Our Xerox machine was done, the tech just came into to fix it. We got on the topic of CME's and sunspots. He tells me he has an invention on how to shield your house. I am thinking okay the Faraday cage or something, he says no nothing like that... The guy seemed really really really smart. I gave him my email and he is going to talk some ideas with me.. Today has been an insanely positive day for me, after months of negativity.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
An interesting question would be at what significance power and frequency would solar ionizing and/or electromagnetic radiation be that would disrupt 802.11b radio communications. You know the ones you are using right now to surf the internet with, pay bills, update your facebook.

But I guess that is more of a military related question hehe. If I found the solution, I guess a practical application would be "disrupting enemy communications" or jamming enemy communications.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quantum_Squirrel
If any other member had posted this post .. Phage would be the first one in to tell them it had already been posted and is currently discussed on countless other posts...

Notice how your post goes unanswered, I suppose the Moderators are letting it slide due to the fact that Phage mania will not start again, which will pull in a crowd which in turn would be good for everyone.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by thorfourwinds

Your post made me log in so I could congratulate you on such a fantastic post, I mean its better than most threads. Outstanding content. I am looking forward to reading more from you my friend. I only wish I could give you 100 stars.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
An interesting question would be at what significance power and frequency would solar ionizing and/or electromagnetic radiation be that would disrupt 802.11b radio communications. You know the ones you are using right now to surf the internet with, pay bills, update your facebook.

But I guess that is more of a military related question hehe. If I found the solution, I guess a practical application would be "disrupting enemy communications" or jamming enemy communications.

I think it would be quicker and easier to just shut down the entire power grid.
We did that over Iraq by shooting aluminium strips chaff over the High Voltage power lines.
The old short circuit trick.

BTW, great Avatar.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join