It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dodged a solar bullet.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by csulli456

No dramas...

I liked my story tho, but I do suppose it was OT and all..

Either way, ATM it is great to have phage back, this thread is proof of what ATS needs.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Nice write up and comparison Phage.

Looks like we are topping off at Kp level of 5 as far as the geomagnetic storm goes, which is fairly minor.

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

edit on 18-2-2011 by Regenmacher because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Thank you so much for this thread, it is easy to understand and provides a very good explanation of what is happening with the sun.

Maybe I will get to see the Northern Lights here in the Pacific NW this year, saw them once and they were awesome!

Nice to see you back.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
The voice of reason is back! Welcome back, and thanks for the awesome thread! We missed you dude.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Regenmacher

Thanks.

While there is a "watch" in effect for K5, the current 3 hour Kp is at 4 (4.2?). The speed of the solar wind has been decreasing for the past 3 or 4 hours and the density, while never very high, seems to be decreasing.

Because we're looking at the effects of overlapping CMEs it's somewhat complicated but I'm willing to stick my neck out and say it's fading (you can't always pay attention to the models).

edit on 2/18/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
first I've heard of it, so thanks! and

someone had to do it

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Welcome back Phage.
It's good to see a scientific analysis of the recent solar activity.
Nice thread, very informative, and as alway you teach me things I never knew.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Nice to see you back Phage !
When we have threads that seem quite frightening connected with space (The sun comets and such ) i look to your replies ,if the day ever comes that you appear nervous, it will be time to head for the hills.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Well I didn't think I would ever say it but 'welcome back'. ATS just hasn't been the same since the change and lots of experienced members moved on. Looking forward to argue the toss in other forums.

Great thread by the way, I have been following the suns activity closely recently and I am amazed at how much is going on at present. What with all the seeds being stored in the seed vaults and all the underground bunker properties selling like hot cakes around the world, makes you think.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
looking now on spaceweather 10:58 UTC the wind speed has picked up a lot currently 637km/sec auroras have increased over Alaska region but density remains quite low. Perhaps the show isnt quite over yet

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by coffeesniffer

Yeah, I think it is probably going to fluctuate throughout the day and maybe tonight.
Not sure if it will get to any more of a peak though.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Has this CME hit us yet or is it due sometime today? Stongest sun strom in years set to strike
edit on 18-2-2011 by Truth3r because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   

hey phage, i think you might be interested in what is visible on the surface of the sun....you remember those comets and asteroids that were captured by the sun? the 42,000 mile long spacecraft that was harvesting the sun as recorded via soho?

all the weather problems, cme's, magnetosphere and such......i think i may have found the problem, it is in the first photo of the sun.YOU posted. does it come from a credible source?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hi Phage you mentioned that these solar bombardments can increase the reflectivity of our ionosphere!
does this mean that continued bombardment from the sun only makes our ionosphere stronger and more effective at repeling particles from the CME.

What is the process behind this ?

thanks

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by sapien82
reply to post by Phage

Hi Phage you mentioned that these solar bombardments can increase the reflectivity of our ionosphere!
does this mean that continued bombardment from the sun only makes our ionosphere stronger and more effective at repeling particles from the CME.

What is the process behind this ?

thanks

Does all of this solar bombardment effect Global Warming?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Excellent post Phage. I actually learned a few things from it, which is why I joined ATS in the first place! I appreciated the factual, scientific post without all of the drama that tends to be woven throughout most stories dealing with space. You also made it very understandable to most, sometimes not an easy thing to do when dealing with this type of subject.

Well done!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Either way you look at it we all sort of wandered through our lives without realizing what was happening around us. I got my first blast of solar radiation on Wednesday; my first sunburn of the Season. I wonder if any part of that was from this event? Did the initial blast reach us on the 16th or the 17th? Maybe I dodged the bullet and got the "days' before" solar radiation. I am an overall covering of warm red as the day jumped up into the 70's and the winds stopped, I couldn't help myself, it was as if the Sun was calling my name. Luckily I work outdoors and so I just stopped what I was doing to enjoy the rays.

I was outdoors yesterday as well but the winds and dust were blowing strong, spent the day watering but did not add to any solar exposure. I should be a dark shade of red by Summer's end; good thing wrinkles are the fashion.

Today is another "day in the sun", I wonder about the people who don't get radiated?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Out in my area our temperature rose during this flare and the one before it.
Rose from the average temp during winter about 20 degrees F.

People were going nuts about how beautiful it was outside. Kind of like the post above me, the sun was calling their name.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
At the moment the kho.unis.no... site has the KP just dropping below 5.0, it was at KP 5.3 not too long ago. Seems the activity is still continuing somewhat.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Your threads constantly amaze me.
Welcome back

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join