It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why humans will never colonize space

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I guess I look at the moon as the groundwork to mars and the other interesting bodies of the solar system. I know Mars, Europa and Titan, to name a few, beckon to us with unimaginable stories yet to be told I just feel that the moon is our doorway to the solar system.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
I guess I look at the moon as the groundwork to mars and the other interesting bodies of the solar system. I know Mars, Europa and Titan, to name a few, beckon to us with unimaginable stories yet to be told I just feel that the moon is our doorway to the solar system.

My personal belive is the moon is a space station and thats were we should be looking to..

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Not 'everything is possible' I have yet to win that million dollar prize!

There are certain scientific principals that prove to be repeatable in applied experimentation, like 'The Bomb', proves we are on to something that is tangible, because it works.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic

Not 'everything is possible' I have yet to win that million dollar prize!

There are certain scientific principals that prove to be repeatable in applied experimentation, like 'The Bomb', proves we are on to something that is tangible, because it works.

I havent won that prize either but one can hope

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Decade. If I'm not mistaken, Obama has delayed any manned missions to the moon and mars for 25 years

Thankfully, he won't be in office that long.

I do feel though, without some pressing reason (like competition with another spacefaring nation), it will be a long time though.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

There ain't no competition with space faring nations now, its called cooperation. Space exploration is probably the most unifying science in the world now, spearheading the way to a one-world planetary race of shared knowledge. (for a change)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

reply to post by Gazrok

There ain't no competition with space faring nations now, its called cooperation. Space exploration is probably the most unifying science in the world now, spearheading the way to a one-world planetary race of shared knowledge. (for a change)

One things for sure we need change and money to back it all soon..

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
we'll never have the money to send the equipment and supplies needed on a large scale on a consistent basis to create the infrastructure and atmosphere needed

what kills me is maybe we should just take care of our mother ?

you know, the miracle we are on already ?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

and this is the reason we'll never get off this rock; coz we think in terms of money. but if the human race would just decide to build these things perhaps as protection against asteroids and alien invaders with no regard to how much it cost and other financial aspects of the whole endeavor, then maybe there's hope for us yet.
edit on 4.22.11 by toreishi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Condoms and birth control don't stop us even when we use them... space, bring it ooooooon!!!

On a more serious note: Does that mean everyone who goes into space becomes sterile? Because if these radiation particles can interact with a growing fetus inside someones body, they definitely reach sperm then and eggs... therefore unless we develop some awesome kind of forcefield then we can't procreate on any other planets unless we teleport there.
edit on 4/22/11 by NuclearMitochondria because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
The data is obviously flawed. The Russians performed actual space experiments of cockroaches conceived in space, and observed they grew bigger, stronger, and faster than their counterparts conceived on earth on the trip.

en.rian.ru...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

The data is obviously flawed. The Russians performed actual space experiments of cockroaches conceived in space, and observed they grew bigger, stronger, and faster than their counterparts conceived on earth on the trip.

en.rian.ru...

Thanks for the link i didnt know that they had done that with roaches

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Sex is not the only way to have children. The grunt work could be done in a lab. The raw materials collected on earth and protected in space. Sex would be for psychological needs and enjoyment.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

And a hundred years ago, they said humans would never colonize space because the sky was in the way.

We are an incredibly capable and resourceful species. We have continually proven we can accomplish anything if there is money or power to be gained. Both of which are in no short supply when it comes to the colonization of space.

Radiation is a hazard for sure, but it's an obstacle, not a road block. We already have the understanding and technology to provide adequate shielding from radiation. What we don't yet have, is a means by which protection against radiation can be efficiently deployed on the scale necessary for human colonization of space. It's ok though, because we've got other issues to solve before it even becomes a problem. But nobody is saying "colonization is impossible because we don't have sufficient propulsion technology".

In short, it's not impossible. It's just not easy.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by dfrank39
Sex is not the only way to have children. The grunt work could be done in a lab. The raw materials collected on earth and protected in space. Sex would be for psychological needs and enjoyment.

True -- but I wonder what complications may arise from a zero-G pregnancy. Human females are designed to gestate a child in gravity, and there may be unknown complications arising from doing so without gravity.

I think for long-term survival in space (years + generations), we will not only need to develop a way to mitigate radiation, but we will also need artificial gravity.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Lets not forget we are traveling through space as we speak. The Earth orbits the Sun the Sun orbits the Galactic Center and the Galaxy is going? I'm hoping Galactic Disneyland where everyone will be happy and have a good time.

Another way to look at the problem of radiation exposure is that if we can not manufacture an artificial shield it may well be possible at some point in the future to repair the damage that exposure would cause.

Mostly to me it seems that the only real problem we have is our own self destruction. If we can outgrow that then it seems likely the universe is ours.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I heard that three feet of H2O will protect anyone or anything in space. Maybe someone could find it.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I heard that three feet of H2O will protect anyone or anything in space. Maybe someone could find it.

Thats a good thought a new twist i handnt heard of..thanks for replying

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Yes enclosing the spaceship in 3 ft water will provide adequate protection from most radiation hazards,
but it has to be kept in liquid form in near zero kelvin of space and that too an enormous amount of water.
Not impossible in any means only an engineering hurdle.
The trick is to enclose a large submarine ( modified for space ) in 3 ft of water and get it to space with anti gravity tecnology.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
NASA scientist and former astronaut Dr. Chang-Díaz's VASIMR propulsion system works with plasma and could generate a strong magnetic field around a spacecraft, potentially remedying this situation, en route at least.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join