It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why humans will never colonize space

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by prodomino

Couldn't spaceships protect against this kind of radiation?
No. These are no ordinary protons, but high-energy proton particles
from galactic cosmic rays. We on Earth are kept safe from them by our
atmosphere and magnetic field, but astronauts in space remain
vulnerable.

Artificial atmosphere, if we are safe here we can recreate the technologies, it would take a while but anything is possible

I agree anything is possible look how far we have come already who knows what the near future will hold for us..

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaosMagician
I, personally, don't want to live anywhere that doesn't have an ATMOSPHERE.

... and I certainly wouldn't be creating any new life that would also be spending his days wondering if he would be able to take his next breath... Thanks but No Thanks. I thought we already looked at space colonization as a temporary situation. Perhaps I was wrong.

geez......we can't even get it right on earth, as far as poisoning our own planet, and someone wants to go out in space where an atmosphere has to be maintained by us??....good luck...by the way you wouldn't mind signing a life insurance policy with me as the beneficary?? i could use the millions

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Another possibility would be to adapt to the radiation I can see shielding as being quicker to develop but if as a species we begin spending large amounts of time away from the protection of our earth our bodies themselves may learn to cope with the new threats that will present.

just a thought

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
Another possibility would be to adapt to the radiation I can see shielding as being quicker to develop but if as a species we begin spending large amounts of time away from the protection of our earth our bodies themselves may learn to cope with the new threats that will present.

just a thought

Thats a thought but i dont think adapting to something like radiation will happen but i might be wrong
thanks for the reply

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
For starters, we could always delay the breeding until planetbound, and then do invitro with frozen sperm and eggs...etc., then there are possible advances in cryostasis, etc.

Humans will eventually colonize space. At some point, it will be either do or die...so it's kind of inevitable. As for the timeline however...well, that's a different story... Probably not in my lifetime. I'd be surprised if there's a base on Mars in my lifetime.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
For starters, we could always delay the breeding until planetbound, and then do invitro with frozen sperm and eggs...etc., then there are possible advances in cryostasis, etc.

Humans will eventually colonize space. At some point, it will be either do or die...so it's kind of inevitable. As for the timeline however...well, that's a different story... Probably not in my lifetime. I'd be surprised if there's a base on Mars in my lifetime.

Well that's a good plan best Ive heard of yet..once we come close to wrecking earth I'm sure were are going to have to think of something and that's about our only plan colonize space..I wont see a base on Mars in my lifetime either but you never know.. PS I like the avatar

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1

Thats a thought but i dont think adapting to something like radiation will happen but i might be wrong
thanks for the reply

It is known that some people are naturally more resistant to radiation than others. Even without future artificial manipulation of our genetics exposure of the entire breeding population to radiation would tend to naturally select those resistant.

The increased production of melanin in human skin is called melanogenesis. Production of melanin is stimulated by DNA damage induced by UVB-radiation,[1] and it leads to a delayed development of a tan. This melanogenesis-based tan takes more time to develop, but it is long lasting.[2] The photochemical properties of melanin make it an excellent photoprotectant. It absorbs harmful UV-radiation and transforms the energy into harmless heat through a process called "ultrafast internal conversion". This property enables melanin to dissipate more than 99.9% of the absorbed UV radiation as heat[3] (see photoprotection). This prevents the indirect DNA damage that is responsible for the formation of malignant melanoma and other skin cancers.

source

We already have some adaptation to radiation Who's to say that our bodies would not develop more if pressured to do so.

edit on 4/14/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Yep, like gray, rubbery skin, or large, black eyes, shorter height, and hey! Wait a minute!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
This isn't an issue that puts an end to space colonization. As in most cases, eventually this will be overcome. Proper shielding on ships, proper suits and eventually genetic engineering.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Greys do seem like space adapted humans might be imagined more than a truly alien species to me

who knows so many mysterious so few answers

The original author of this article would have been wise to leave to never alone and just explain some of the difficulties of long term space exploration.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Humans as they are now may never be able to colonize space...

However, the next generation of humans will. Biology as we know it will one day be manmade I reckon, thanks to nanotechnology.

What once needed a building 40 years ago, now fits in our pocket and is more powerful. And what now fits in our pocket will soon fit into a cell and be even more powerful. The evolution of computing is happening exponentially now. It will continue to get smaller, cheaper and more powerful at a faster and faster rate.

Nanotechnology will give rise to a new type of human. We have almost mapped out the entire brain and genome. This information will be used to create a real artificial intelligence. One that is far superior to our current capabilities.

So this new type of intelligence (or human) will be the next step in our evolution. And they will most certainly colonize the entirety of space, and create an intelligent universe.

Oh, and if NASA is the one saying it ain't going to happen, then they're full of it.

Meet Robonaut 2:

A Robonaut is a dexterous humanoid robot built and designed at NASA Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas. Our challenge is to build machines that can help humans work and explore in space. Working side by side with humans, or going where the risks are too great for people, Robonauts will expand our ability for construction and discovery. Central to that effort is a capability we call dexterous manipulation, embodied by an ability to use one's hand to do work, and our challenge has been to build machines with dexterity that exceeds that of a suited astronaut.

We're living in a time when there isn't anything we can't do. Trust me.

edit on 14-4-2011 by PhotonEffect because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Mankind,s next step is just around the corner, sooner than you think
if 2012 will allow it. lol

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Angelic Resurrection

hows about a little elaboration what do you consider our next step?

I would like to see a Moon base as I feel that would offer us an excellent platform to launch further expeditions

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by iforget

Originally posted by sugarcookie1

thanks for the reply

It is known that some people are naturally more resistant to radiation than others. Even without future artificial manipulation of our genetics exposure of the entire breeding population to radiation would tend to naturally select those resistant.

The increased production of melanin in human skin is called melanogenesis. Production of melanin is stimulated by DNA damage induced by UVB-radiation,[1] and it leads to a delayed development of a tan. This melanogenesis-based tan takes more time to develop, but it is long lasting.[2] The photochemical properties of melanin make it an excellent photoprotectant. It absorbs harmful UV-radiation and transforms the energy into harmless heat through a process called "ultrafast internal conversion". This property enables melanin to dissipate more than 99.9% of the absorbed UV radiation as heat[3] (see photoprotection). This prevents the indirect DNA damage that is responsible for the formation of malignant melanoma and other skin cancers.

source

We already have some adaptation to radiation Who's to say that our bodies would not develop more if pressured to do so.

Well see i learned something new today thanks!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhotonEffect
Humans as they are now may never be able to colonize space...

However, the next generation of humans will. Biology as we know it will one day be manmade I reckon, thanks to nanotechnology.

What once needed a building 40 years ago, now fits in our pocket and is more powerful. And what now fits in our pocket will soon fit into a cell and be even more powerful. The evolution of computing is happening exponentially now. It will continue to get smaller, cheaper and more powerful at a faster and faster rate.

Nanotechnology will give rise to a new type of human. We have almost mapped out the entire brain and genome. This information will be used to create a real artificial intelligence. One that is far superior to our current capabilities.

So this new type of intelligence (or human) will be the next step in our evolution. And they will most certainly colonize the entirety of space, and create an intelligent universe.

Oh, and if NASA is the one saying it ain't going to happen, then they're full of it.

Meet Robonaut 2:

A Robonaut is a dexterous humanoid robot built and designed at NASA Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas. Our challenge is to build machines that can help humans work and explore in space. Working side by side with humans, or going where the risks are too great for people, Robonauts will expand our ability for construction and discovery. Central to that effort is a capability we call dexterous manipulation, embodied by an ability to use one's hand to do work, and our challenge has been to build machines with dexterity that exceeds that of a suited astronaut.

We're living in a time when there isn't anything we can't do. Trust me.

edit on 14-4-2011 by PhotonEffect because: (no reason given)

Yes i know were doing leaps and bounds in nanotechnology and the computers of the future are going to be amazeing..I know there working on robots right now so there is no doubt in my mind that they will be our future just hope they dont over run us as humans

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Angelic Resurrection
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Yes i agree, and 2012 im not sure i belive in that therory but i guess it wont matter if it happens

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
just to chime in and reply on some of the points discussed in this thread.

- here's my suggestion for a NASA replacement or an organization built along their lines.

- shielding: imagine a couple of donuts side by side, those will be the linear accelerators protecting your ship. make sure your ship fits in the middle of these donuts. fire up electrons inside your linear accelerators to generate an electromagnetic field and you'd have solved the problem of shielding. by rotating your ship then you'd have solved the problem of artificial gravity. what's left?

- this article states that there's still about 100,000 tons of gold to be extracted from the earth. can't find info about how much we've already mined, but if we really want to get serious then maybe a future one-world government can "retrieve/reclaim" that gold from private hands.

this might all sound like wishful thinking, but are we really serious about getting off this planet? one just has to look at how much funding is being allocated for space research compared to how much we spend each year trying to give each other diseases and dreaming up ways to kill other people more efficiently. ok i'm done... (have to stop or else i'll just start ranting)
edit on 4.15.11 by toreishi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
The heck with the Moon... We should just start laying the groundwork to go to Mars. We can send unmanned expeditions first, to set up some basics, then the first human explorers, and then followup with other deliveries of materials, supplies, and more colonists.

We've had research on how to live on Mars for quite some time, even on how we can refuel a return ship, etc. Too bad it will probably be a decade or so before we manage it.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Decade. If I'm not mistaken, Obama has delayed any manned missions to the moon and mars for 25 years

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Hear is a thought why dont we look into what we have right here on our earth our planet is covered in water why cant we make a settlement right here on earth underground in the ocean the aliens go under in our water why cant we..we havent done much studys on our oceans might be easyer then going to mars

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join