It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sting nets 10 local healthcare professionals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Sting nets 10 local healthcare professionals

abclocal.go.com

Federal authorities charged more than 100 doctors, nurses and physical therapists in nine cities with Medicare fraud as part of a bust that netted more suspects than any other in history. So far, 111 people have been arrested, accused of illegally billing medicare for more than $225 million.

"Every action taken by those defrauding the system.. effects the legitimate users ..all those people who were denied access. .raises the cost for everyone in the community," said

The local suspects arrested include a chiropractor and owners/operators of durable medical equipment providers across
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Sigh...

As if this system didn't ALREADY have enough problems to deal with...

Now we have "professionals" alledgedly scamming the system to the tune of hundreds of millions? One of the biggest multi-city scams ever uncovered. And who pays for that all? (rhetorical question).

Some of these scams would be freaking hilarious, if they didn't actually involve US having to pay for them. Things like a toenail removal 'operation' costing $700,000, or a proctologist claiming to have performed hemmorhoid removal surgery TEN TIMES on one patient. ouch.

abclocal.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 17-2-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Good thing they were caught!

According to THIS news story from Fox News, medicaid and medicare scams cost taxpayers $60 Billion dollars per year.

The good thing is they're starting to crack down on these sad low-lifes.

Hence, why the government created the "Health Care Fraud Most Wanted List" on February 5th.

Scammers "often utilize their ties to a particular community," said Roy. "They take advantage of ethnic communities based on language barriers or lack of knowledge about how the Medicare system works. These folks are exploiting low-income communities."

-ChriS

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

my God i wish they would "inspect" MY doctor...

if i have a cold i can go in for an appointment and get billed my co-pay
but if i need my monthly meds for acid reflux, on the same appointment,
she makes me come back on the next day so i have have to pay another co-pay...???

this S@%T makes me upset...
edit on 2/17/11 by darrman because: you know, she BILLS twice..ARRGHH....

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

What do you mean "now" we have professionals scamming the system? Seriously, if you just now realize that the so called "professionals" are scamming us all you should really pay closer attention; that's seriously not an insult it just seems as though it should be painfully obvious by now that much of the "practice" of medicine is an enormous greedy money grab. I can agree that it's a damn shame and sucks unbelievably bad!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Needless greed. There is huge cash being made by many in the health care industries; really no need to risk arrest.

People get sick, break bones, etcetera. No matter how bad the economy, people have to get haircuts, eat lunch, and see the doctor if the pain won't go away.

For many years I worked for one of the largest film companies in the world. This Japan-based company is a diversified long-time player in the film world.

Take a look at how many times profit was turned on a box of medical x-ray film:

1. Our 'mother' company in Japan would sell to us in USA headquarters. 1st mark-up.

2. USA headquarters would sell to multiple small companies across the country. These distributors would do installation & maintenance of x-ray equipment, and they would offer several brands of film to their customers. We made profit = 2nd mark-up.

3. The dealerships marked up the cost of film and sold it to their local veteranarians, doc-in-the-box, clinics, hospitals. =3rd mark up.

4. Patient needs an x-ray. = 4th mark-up

The company I worked for had an extensive line of equipment and machines that automated the handling and processing of the film. Some of the equipment was amazing in its capability, especially the film loading equipment which replaced humans in dark rooms. the lazer equipment was cool too. My employer would give big bucks worth of equipment away to land that fat film contract from a large hospital. They would also bend over backwards to cow-tow to any institution that had a prestigious name attached.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Good to see but small change compared to how the Government allows Big Pharm to rip off the tax payer with HUGE mark ups on their meds..

Then bans importing of the same products cheaper..

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Its about time they started going after them... Hope that in addition to jail time they make them pay back every last cent they stole with interest..
Disgusting people like that make legitimate physicians look bad and deserve to face full penalty of law for both failing those theyre meant to help along with being corrupt and defrauding the system.. They get no sympathy from me.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
This is why I have always had a problem with health care professionals getting used to having lots of money. Truth is if you want financial renumeration you should get a job that isnt about welfare of patients, and is about maximising profits. Healthcare should , in short , not be a business, or an industry, but a calling. There should be NO ONE operating in healthcare who couldnt survive on the sheer joy of helping people , without the multi million dollar contracts and so on that come with the industry.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I guess they took the "Hypocritic Oath" instead of the "Hippocratic Oath". (Ouch... sorry!)

I truly believe that spending the resources on combatting white-collar crime would be much more profitable to the state than spending it going after petty criminals. Don't get me started on Wall Street!

But, of course, these are well-connected, "respectable" members of the community, who probably belong to the same country club as the prosecutors.

the Billmeister

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
It's no surprise - one of the watchdog groups listed Medicare/Medicaid fraud as the largest single item of fraud against our govt and it should be cracked down on. Thank God someone is actually doing it.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

This happens quite a bit actually... Sometimes its a mistake because of the way billing is done (medicare / medicaid / insurance and Hospitals tripple billing the same entity instead of one or 2, depending on coverage).

I agree though this is one of the reason health care costs keep going up. I am glad they have been caught, and personally this is one of the more positive steps I have seen from the DOJ and HHS.

new topics

top topics

join