It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning: Consume At Your Peril

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+56 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Often times when reading or writing threads on AboveTopSecret, it seems that we come full circle. We seek to uncover hidden truths and expose falsehoods, but in the process we seem to end up in the same place as we started: with more questions than answers.

If you're reading this then I'm willing to bet you’re consuming foods with these additives. Because the corporations that produce these products are obligated to put profit over people, you can bet safety isn't at the top of their list. With that being said, you don't have to use or consume these products. The choice is yours.

Some of the studies done on the following chemicals and food additives are not conclusive. That means they have not been proven to cause “severe adverse effects in humans.” With that being said, many have been proven to cause cancer in animals which should raise red flag for those worried about the possible “unknown” consequences.

For example, let’s focus on diet drinks. A recent article published by dailymail.co.uk states:

A study of more than 2,500 people found those who had diet drinks every day were 61 per cent more likely to get vascular problems (increased chance of heart disease) than those who did not have any carbonated drinks.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

I took a picture of a liter of my roommate’s diet soda:

There are two additives that are referenced below: Aspartame and Red 40. A third, Potassium Benzoate is not covered, however it is referenced here:

There are some soft drinks, including (diet drinks) that use potassium benzoate as a preservative--Carcinogens may accumulate in the body for years before "showing up"--they don't just pass out of your system via any form of elimination. Silently building up over decades, even, they can erupt as cancer of one form or another. Do we need to exacerbate the risk of lowered life expectancy by use of something that is only meant to extend a product's shelf life for a few months?

www.examiner.com...

There are over 14,000 man-made chemicals added to our American food supply today. Food additives are not natural nutrition for humans or their pets. Children are suffering the most from food additives because they are exposed to food chemicals from infancy, and human bodies were not meant to be exposed to the degree of chemicals and food additives that we are currently

www.sweetpoison.com...

It appears that it’s not a single additive that is responsible for the increased risk of negative health conditions, but rather the shotgun blast of these additives to our food supply.

The following is a list of known and lesser known food additives and chemicals created during food processing that may cause or contribute to severe health conditions.

Acrylamide

Acrylamide is found in foods like French fries and potato chips. This chemical is created when a food with a high carbohydrate content is heated in a certain manner, like frying.

The European Chemical Agency added acrylamide to the list of substances of very high concern in March 2010.

en.wikipedia.org...

According to the FDA:

Acrylamide caused cancer in animals in studies where animals were exposed to acrylamide at very high doses. Acrylamide causes nerve damage in people exposed to very high levels at work. FDA has not yet determined the exact public health impact, if any, of acrylamide from the much lower levels found in foods. FDA is conducting research studies to determine whether acrylamide in food is a potential risk to human health.

www.fda.gov...

BHA and BHT

This is a common additive used to extend the shelf life of foods, and the studies done are not “conclusive.” California has listed them as carcinogens. To play it safe, leave them out of your diet.

The most important factor to the Food Processor is making money. If they cannot produce a product that has a very long shelf life, then that product will be discarded and the food processor will lose money. So most of them introduce chemicals such as butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) to extend the shelf life of their products and allow them a better chance to be sold.

www.suite101.com...

BHA and BHT can induce allergic reactions in the skin [1]. The International Agency for Research on Cancer classifies BHA as a possible human carcinogen [2]. The European Commission on Endocrine Disruption has also listed BHA as a Category 1 priority substance, based on evidence that it interferes with hormone function [3].
Long-term exposure to high doses of BHT is toxic in mice and rats, causing liver, thyroid and kidney problems and affecting lung function and blood coagulation [4]. BHT can act as a tumour promoter in certain situations [5]. Limited evidence suggests that high doses of BHT may mimic estrogen [6], the primary female sex hormone, and prevent expression of male sex hormones [7], resulting in adverse reproductive affects.

www.davidsuzuki.org...

Potassium bromate

This additive is banned everywhere in the world except for the U.S. and Japan.

This additive has long been used to increase the volume of bread and to produce bread with a fine crumb (the non-crust part of bread) structure. Most bromate rapidly breaks down to form innocuous bromide. However, bromate itself causes cancer in animals. The tiny amounts of bromate that may remain in bread pose a small risk to consumers. Bromate has been banned virtually worldwide except in Japan and the United States. It is rarely used in California because a cancer warning is required on the label.

www.sweetpoison.com...

Potassium bromate has been banned from use in food products in Europe, as well as the United Kingdom in 1990, and Canada in 1994, and most other countries. It was banned in Sri Lanka in 2001[3] and China in 2005. It is also banned in Nigeria, Brazil[citation needed] and Peru.
In the United States, it has not been banned. The FDA sanctioned the use of bromate before the Delaney clause of the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act went into effect in 1958—which bans carcinogenic substances—so that it is more difficult for it to now be banned. Instead, since 1991 the FDA has urged bakers to voluntarily stop using it. In California a warning label is required when bromated flour is used

en.wikipedia.org...

Common Food Dyes

These are in nearly anything with a pretty color to it. It seems that mother nature had it right to begin with, but copying her beautiful colors is easier said than done.

Studies show that artificial colorings which are found in soda, fruit juices and salad dressings, may contribute to behavioral problems in children and lead to a significant reduction in IQ. Animal studies have linked other food colorings to cancer. Watch out for these ones:
Blue #1 and Blue #2 (E133)
Banned in Norway, Finland and France. May cause chromosomal damage
Found in: candy, cereal, soft drinks, sports drinks and pet foods

Red dye # 3 (also Red #40 – a more current dye) (E124)
Banned in 1990 after 8 years of debate from use in many foods and cosmetics. This dye continues to be on the market until supplies run out! Has been proven to cause thyroid cancer and chromosomal damage in laboratory animals, may also interfere with brain-nerve transmission
Found in: fruit cocktail, maraschino cherries, cherry pie mix, ice cream, candy, bakery products and more!

Yellow #6 (E110) and Yellow Tartrazine (E102)

Banned in Norway and Sweden. Increases the number of kidney and adrenal gland tumors in laboratory animals, may cause chromosomal damage.

Found in: American cheese, macaroni and cheese, candy and carbonated beverages, lemonade and more!

www.foodmatters.tv...

Sodium Nitrate

This is commonly used in products like beef jerky and bacon (please don’t ban me, hefficide). Interestingly it was actually used in an attempt to poison someone.

A Missouri woman named Angie Hausler was poisoned with the food additive sodium nitrite by a woman who wanted a chance at her husband.

Angie Hausler began feeling sick shortly after Christmas, right around the time that Vazquez separated from her husband.

"I would take her to the local hospitals and they could never figure out what was wrong with her, other than saying that she had the flu or a viral infection," Brian Hausler said. "As time went on, the sicker she got.

www.naturalnews.com...

"Sodium nitrite is a dangerous, cancer-causing ingredient that has no place in the human food supply," he explains. The USDA actually tried to ban sodium nitrite in the 1970's, but was preempted by the meat processing industry, which relies on the ingredient as a color fixer to make foods look more visually appealing. "The meat industry uses sodium nitrite to sell more meat products at the expense of public health," says Adams. "And this new research clearly demonstrates the link between the consumption of processed meats and cancer."

www.organicconsumers.org...

Sodium Chloride (Salt)

Everyone knows this one, but recently salt has been getting more exposure as the evidence mounts to suggest its negative long term health effects.

The Agriculture and Health and Human Services departments issued the latest dietary guidelines Monday, instructing about half the population to reduce daily sodium intake to 1,500 milligrams, or about a half a teaspoon of salt, a day.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

“The high sodium content of the American diet—mostly from processed foods—represents an enormous health problem,” said Dr. Claude Lenfant, president of the World Hypertension League. “If we could reduce the sodium in processed and restaurant foods by half, we could save about 150,000 lives per year.”

www.cspinet.org...

Trans fats

In a nutshell transfats raise your bad cholesterol (LDL), while lowering your good cholesterol (HDL), and raising levels of triglycerides. If there is a faster way to speed up the process of coronary heart disease, please let me know.

Trans fat comes from adding hydrogen to vegetable oil through a process called hydrogenation. Trans fats are more solid than oil is, making them less likely to spoil. Using trans fats in the manufacturing of foods helps foods stay fresh longer, have a longer shelf life and have a less greasy feel.

www.mayoclinic.com...

The stiffer and harder fats are, the more they clog up your arteries. Artificial trans fats do the same thing in our bodies that bacon grease does to kitchen sinks. Over time, they can "clog the pipes" that feed the heart and brain, which can lead to heart attack or stroke risk.
According to the comprehensive Nurses' Health Study -- the largest investigation of women and chronic disease -- trans fats double the risk of heart disease in women.

No human body has any need for these man-made fats. Food manufacturers started putting them in products because they allow for a longer shelf life. Crackers, for example, can stay on the shelf and stay crispy for years in part because of the hydrogenated fats in them.

www.umm.edu...

Aspartame

Aspartame is ubiquitous in our diets. So much so that ATS recently did a street view piece on the additive which can be found here: streetview.abovetopsecret.com...

Calling it Aspartame is not accurate, however, as one of the parent companys seeks to change the name to a friendlier sounding ‘Aminosweet.’ Aspartame was created by your good friends at Monsanto who brought you things like Agent Orange, PCB’s, and GMO’s. So it should come as no surprise that Aspartame is a neurotoxin. Its remains very controversial due to a marketing campaign designed to save face.

Aspartame is the technical name for the brand names NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, and Equal-Measure. It was discovered by accident in 1965 when James Schlatter, a chemist of G.D. Searle Company, was testing an anti-ulcer drug.

Aspartate and glutamate act as neurotransmitters in the brain by facilitating the transmission of information from neuron to neuron. Too much aspartate or glutamate in the brain kills certain neurons by allowing the influx of too much calcium into the cells. This influx triggers excessive amounts of free radicals, which kill the cells. The neural cell damage that can be caused by excessive aspartate and glutamate is why they are referred to as "excitotoxins." They "excite" or stimulate the neural cells to death.

Aspartic acid is an amino acid. Taken in its free form (unbound to proteins) it significantly raises the blood plasma level of aspartate and glutamate. The excess aspartate and glutamate in the blood plasma shortly after ingesting aspartame or products with free glutamic acid (glutamate precursor) leads to a high level of those neurotransmitters in certain areas of the brain.
The blood brain barrier (BBB), which normally protects the brain from excess glutamate and aspartate as well as toxins, 1) is not fully developed during childhood, 2) does not fully protect all areas of the brain, 3) is damaged by numerous chronic and acute conditions, and 4) allows seepage of excess glutamate and aspartate into the brain even when intact.
The excess glutamate and aspartate slowly begin to destroy neurons. The large majority (75 percent or more) of neural cells in a particular area of the brain are killed before any clinical symptoms of a chronic illness are noticed.

aspartame.mercola.com...

Monosodium glutamate (MSG)

MSG is extremely controversial and there are many conflicting articles about its potential health risks. Whether or not you believe its dangers, there are a few things to take into account.
If it’s not bad, then why do they change the name?

Food manufacturers, who realize that many people would prefer NOT to have MSG in their food, have adapted by using so-called "clean labels." These ingredient labels hide MSG under names that consumers won't recognize, such as hydrolyzed soy protein.
Some manufacturers have also gone so far as to list "No MSG," "No Added MSG," or "No MSG Added" on product labels when MSG is still present, but exists only as a constituent in another ingredient!

shop.sixwise.com...

MSG is used as a flavor enhancer in many packaged foods, including soups, salad dressings, sausages, hot dogs, canned tuna, potato chips and many more. According to Dr. Russell Blaylock, an author and neurosurgeon, there is a link between sudden cardiac death, particularly in athletes, and excitotoxic damage caused by food additives like MSG and artificial sweeteners. Excitotoxins are, according to Dr. Blaylock, "A group of excitatory amino acids that can cause sensitive neurons to die."

www.sixwise.com...

Propyl Gallate

Since 1948, this antioxidant has been added to foods containing oils and fats to prevent oxidation.[1] As a food additive, it is used under the E number E310.

en.wikipedia.org...

--Some studies on rats have shown that propyl gallate may cause cancer.
--Other side effect of consumption are stomach and skin irritability, as well as allergic reactions that impact breathing. It may also cause kidney and liver problems.
--In some cases, to improve its efficacy, propyl gallate is used in conjunction with 2 other preservatives – BHA and BHT – which are also suspect as carcinogenic.
--Although the FDA considers propyl gallate safe, in other countries it is either banned or very limited in use.

edit on 17-2-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
BACK OFF THE BACON, BUB!

And while I will admit that there is a ton of chemicals in our food these days, the life expectancy keeps climbing, so is it really detrimental, or is it much ado about nothing? These two statistics most certainly ARE in conflict with each other...

But well thought out and stated thread! S & F!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

OMG what am i suppose to eat? This stuff is in everything.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Thanks for putting all this in one place, nice job. I try to eat healthy foods and reduce chemicals etc but they are in so many foods that shopping can take hours these days just through having to read every label.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Excellent thread Virt

So what can we eat???

Fresh fruits and vegetables... hmm much better for us anyways.

*I love my local co-op with all organic and local grown produce.*

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
If you're reading this then I'm willing to bet you’re consuming foods with these additives. Because the corporations that produce these products are obligated to put profit over people, you can bet safety isn't at the top of their list. With that being said, you don't have to use or consume these products. The choice is yours.

Actually, I do try to avoid foods with additives like these, but it's getting harder and more expensive to do so. While I do study nutrition more than most, it's threads like these that I will keep coming back to time and time again just to remind myself of the dangers in our food supply.

My main concern is that a lot of these additives are fairly new and will not show their affects on the human body for a few years. I really fear for our younger generation.

Thank-you very much for this as you have put a hell of a lot of information into one thread and it's important that people know the truth about what they are putting in their and their children's bodies.

I wonder though if this should be on the ATS side in medical conspiracies as more would see it, and to me, it is a conspiracy. Profit over lives if you will.

Kudos sir,

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

I really enjoyed your thread. May I ask a question. What CAN I eat? Is there any "diet" book that focuses on clean, chemical free food? I am always trying to make my diet as clean as possible, but I think it's almost impossible.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Unfortunately foods without chemical additives are more expensive, and go bad faster. Also, the additives make us go bad faster, apparently...

There are solutions and alternatives, and I will extrapolate on that.

Originally posted by RustyShakleford92

I really enjoyed your thread. May I ask a question. What CAN I eat? Is there any "diet" book that focuses on clean, chemical free food? I am always trying to make my diet as clean as possible, but I think it's almost impossible.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Not all Bacon has Sodium Nitrate in it, you can tell the difference just by looking at bacon, Sodium Nitrate is a color enhancer so when you see bacon that has a real bright almost red color stay away from it Now let's talk about the fat.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
it really is unbelievable.

i only recently became aware of things like food coloring being so bad.

i grew up in the late seventies and early eighties....and brightly colored cereal and candy was a staple.....mmmm...fruity pebbles.

shame i won't be able to let my kids partake.

we need to boycott these horrible people who put profit before health.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Good compilation, and the list goes on and on beyond that. The more consumers decide to buy good food, those things will be a thing of the past. When we reflect on the industrial food system in 25 years I certainly hope we'll be laughing at our stupidity... but it could go the other way and might keep getting worse. The choice is yours people. Everything you wear, use and eat has profound effects and consequences on the environment and our health. Those who reduce themselves to the argument that 'what I do is insignificant' is cheating themselves into slavery and harming others in their passive ignorance. They fail to see that they are the very problem, however they rarely care enough to change their habits or see the sense in doing so, hence the cycle continues and the oppressor profiteers have more ammo to shoot at the sane who threaten their empire of flashy, attractive, hollow lies.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Sodium nitrate, among other things, should be listed in the ingredients.

The only bacon I would suggest is the variety that comes from a butcher, was raised free-range on a farm and was NOT being fed antibiotics... and the wrapper that hog comes doesn't have a list of ingredients, as it shouldn't, because its pure unadulterated animal.

The fat is not a huge issue unless you make it a regular thing alongside carbohydrates.

Personally, I don't tend to eat much meat. Factory farming will be one of our many downfalls if it goes on like this. Environmental degradation and the suffering of sentient beings is unquantifiable.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Bumping to offset inactivity due to technical issues.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Honestly, back when the sister started really avoiding certain chemicals like aspartame I thought she was just full of it. Well, not really but I did think it was a little silly. Now I feel as I've been duped pretty badly. Though, as I like to think of it...a bit of this stuff even every day won't kill me. Even though down the road it might(?) I don't know, people have been consuming this stuff for years now and if it was really THAT bad, I would think there might be more profound numbers in deaths or illnesses. I understand the lab experiments and everything but I still say it could be worse. Then again, I guess I might be a bit stubborn with the whole idea. Regardless as to what I think, I do admire your work in the thread. Great job and it was really interesting as well. Unfortunately, like some others said...it's far too hard for some people to hunt out all of these chemicals. I just don't know...maybe that's why I'm always in such great denial about it? Not sure, but none the less...good work on the thread again!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
BACK OFF THE BACON, BUB!

And while I will admit that there is a ton of chemicals in our food these days, the life expectancy keeps climbing, so is it really detrimental, or is it much ado about nothing? These two statistics most certainly ARE in conflict with each other...

But well thought out and stated thread! S & F!!!

Either that, or we would all be living to 200 years old without the additives..

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by rumor21

OMG what am i suppose to eat? This stuff is in everything.

A good phrase to remember: "If it doesn't grow that way, don't eat it."

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   

I eat / drink none of those listed by you!
I eat chicken meat from chickens raised in the country side and feed with natural food ( i can assure you ), I drink cow milk from cows that eat hay from the mountain meadow , I drink water straight of MY FOUNTAIN that has "some depth" and is fr from industrialized areas, I eat vegetables grown in my garden far from poluted areas !
Is it enough?
I also drink water with silver in it (very small quantities though ) .
The only problem for me are the chemtrails that made me breath like an asthmatic person...
Although I don't have asthma history in my whole family , I live in not poluted area but take long walks or biking in forests... CLEAN FORESTS...
The only explanation is that the air is being poisoned!
But for those that eat and drink those above , I ADVISE THEM TO THINK TWICE!
It's like commiting suicide eating and drinking all of the above...

edit on 18-2-2011 by leaualorin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Edit, To add deleted last post as was a little sanctimonious. Im no angel when it comes to eating, I try my best but , have a sweet tooth that needs satisfying and a love of curries which probably isnt too healthy.
edit on 18-2-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

actually you got that almost right
Shirali Muslimov lived 168 years...

goingtoazerbaijan.blogspot.com...
" For a while in the 1970s, many old timers from Azerbaijan were going around claiming that they were very old. Like, really, really, ancient. This might seem strange in our youth-obsessed culture, but these people would routinely tell others that they were well over 120. I don't know why they did this. I can just imagine their conversations,
"You're 129? Well I happen to be 136 years old."
"Oh yeah? Well I am in fact am 142 and used to be Napoleon's valet."
And this sort of thing would go on for hours.

The king of these old timers was Shirali Muslimov who died on September 4, 1973 at the purported age of 168 years, allegedly making him the oldest man that ever lived, aka, the world's oldest man. His birth certificate read 1805, which made him 168 at the time of his death. He claimed to have fathered a child at the age of 136, which of course provokes some interesting questions of the who would be mating with a man of that age.

Muslimov spend his incredibly long life in the village of Barzava, 150 miles south of Baku, in the hilly Shiral region near the Iranian border. He didn't leave his village much, so you can assume that he got to see the whole town before he died.
"

edit on 18-2-2011 by leaualorin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Don't forget the silver water and GOAT MILK!
It's the best milk in the whole world!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join