It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gorbachev Warns of Egypt-Style Russian Revolt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Gorbacjev Warns of Egypt-Style Russian Revolt

online.wsj.com

...[Mikhail Gorbachev] lambasted the Kremlin for eroding the free media and elections that he introduced in the 1980s, and warned that its grip on power could be threatened.

"If things continue the way they are, I think the probability of the Egyptian scenario will grow...Here it could end even more staggeringly," he said.

Mr. Gorbachev has long been critical of the Kremlin's moves in the last decade to roll back electoral and media freedoms...
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 2/17/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Gorbachev is not well liked by most former Soviet citizens, many of whom see his reforms as leading not to greater freedom but to a loss of power and the confused, anarchic Russian mess of the 1990s, aptly symbolized by alcoholic then-president Yeltsin.

Many feel that the Putin regime, even if it is marked by less freedom than Gorbachev might wish, is vastly preferable to the kleptocratic chaos of the early post-Soviet era. But is Gorbachev onto something here? Is there enough dissatisfaction with Putin and his laced-up regime to bring about a populist uprising?

For those interested in Russia specifically, the article provides an opportunity to reflect on whether Russia is heading in a good direction. Should Russia's future involve more or less control, and what form should such control take? Is a "Putin-esque" or "Gorbachev-esque" approach the best? More generally, the article prods us to contemplate the various permutations of "freedom" and "security" avilable to any society, not just Russia.

online.wsj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I don't find that impossible to believe.

And if the US President and Congress don't pull their heads out of their anus-es, we're likely to have a dose of that Egyptian-style turnover ourselves.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

It will never happen anytime soon. Russians LOVE Putin, they trust him. His approval rating is astronomical. I can go outside right now, and ask the first ten people what their opinion of Putin is, and eight responses will be positive.

But if it does happen, you can bet I'll be in Red Square fighting them OMON bastards!

Americans think they have it tough, they have no idea....... try living in a city where the average salary is $11,000 and an apartment is $300,000. That's only the tip of the iceberg here....

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

I could see a Russian revolution. Have you guys seen that video where the drunk driver in Russia gets yanked out of his car by the people and beat up after he wrecked everyone's car. The people were cool about it at first, a bit pissed though, but then when the guys kept at it the lost their cool a bit. I don't think everyone there has car insurance so I understand if they are pissed.

I am under the impression that the large majority of the Russian population is pissed off and well familiar with hardship, government oppression, and death. Them and the Jews of Germany experienced quite a death toll and a threat of their people's lives.

Now other countries like France were taken over and are probably more opposing towards Nazi related things as apposed to the USA, but the Jews were the one's who paid a large price, and the Russians they know what it means to loose many people you know in battle. I'm pretty sure they are not afraid of a conflict if it is called for. The Russians are strong like bears!

As always I hope for minimal blood shed, or none at all. Let's hope for the best, and hope Russia's economy, government, and living conditions improve. As well as any other countries experiencing similar problems.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I would have to disagree. I am a Brit living in Saint Petersburg and I can't see the Russians doing anything like that soon. The Russians love Putin and to a lesser extent Medvedev. They know Putin pulls a lot of strings behind the scenes but life is better here than it was only a few years ago. Food prices have risen sharply, housing too...These people are wrongly villified in "The West" - they should be praised and admired. I really don't know where and how to begin to describe the people and country.

Watch this documentary and pay specific attention to when he mentions democracy. www.documentarywire.com...

I can see it happening in America before happening here. But it will eventually come to Russia...just like everywhere else.
edit on 17/2/2011 by itchy_tartan_blanket because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

He sold out the old soviet Russia to the bilderberg group and ran away with the riches, thats why the Russians hate him

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Somebody's signaling that it is time for the Soviet commies to return to power. Poor Eastern Europe!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by sara123123
Somebody's signaling that it is time for the Soviet commies to return to power. Poor Eastern Europe!

Poor Eastern Europe!

Why Poor Eastern Europe? honestly what good did the western sphere of influence brought to eastern eupore or western eupore?
It didn't bring anything but High violent crime, high unemployment rates across eupore.

And not to mention creating an European super state which is out of control.

top topics

join