It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012: End of the World - Skeptics vs. Believers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
This is a great visual that consolidates information. It shows the two views side by side. Not sure if this has been posted before but I wanted to share..
2012: End of the World?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by flyingviolet

The believers sound foolish and none credible, but the skeptics sound like they are in denial. There for there is something to this on some level. Come on it's not like it's going to be 2011 for another 100 to 1,000 years.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I like the idea of a consciousness shift, as that would be the best thing for us, and in turn, Earth, but I doubt anything will happen.

The long cycle is what something like 5000-6000 years I think, so did anything large happen about that long ago? If so, then perhaps it is a possibility that something could happen again, but there was no end of the world then so they will not be one now.

What I find very interesting is at the beginning of the last cycle was the rise of the Egyptians, and well we all know that they did some pretty incredible things.

I hope for the best but expect the worst. That way I'm never disappointed.

Pred...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
my wife believes we are all dead in 2012.

i'm surprised as hell about that.

i don't believe the doom and gloom.

she is not going crazy about it, just is matter a fact about it.

we have no contentions.

kinda funny.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by fooks

The majority of people I know think we are going to die. I have heard a ton of theories and when I try and explain how crazy some of them are but they do not believe me.

My wife and mother think we are going to die too, it's a little funny.

What I think is funny is if people think we are going to die they are going to spend all their money and drain their bank accounts. Everyone will be in so much debt heading into 2013 that the economy will crash anyway. It's a funny situation were heading into.

Pred...

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   

My main problem with that is that both sided are believers. You cant proof the future so the skeptics only believe it wont happen, they don't have time machines and don't know for sure but they try to say they do. Both sides can be as bad as each other some times.

But I don't really like this "either or" false dichotomy they make it out to be with two opposing "sides".

Its also waaay to brief to really help anybody.

my 2c

edit to add: oh and ive seen this posted a few times before.

edit on 18-2-2011 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
according to the bible 2012 cannot possibly be the end of the world. But it could be some kind of disaster to bring about the new world order. And I think that's quite likely... These illuminati occultists love using dates which are significant in numerology, so I wouldn't put it past them. And if they can get people to think they have survived 'the end of the world' then they will feel indestructable and much more open to accepting a new way of life. but don't believe the hype, people. The new world order is an evil institution that won't last.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
reply to post by fooks

What I think is funny is if people think we are going to die they are going to spend all their money and drain their bank accounts. Everyone will be in so much debt heading into 2013 that the economy will crash anyway. It's a funny situation were heading into.

Pred...

This is what the NWO wants doesn't it.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by canofnothing

The believers sound foolish and none credible, but the skeptics sound like they are in denial. There for there is something to this on some level. Come on it's not like it's going to be 2011 for another 100 to 1,000 years.

The believer side is indeed foolish, not providing enough information to prove his point. The skeptic is in hard denial. I guess the article is good to make people skeptic. I hope no one makes his mind on this paper, because even though it is objective, it is too brief and lacks deeper researches.

Thanks for posting though!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Gab1159

I guess this post was more for those who want a quick glance at the two sides and just for general information for those who may be interested. I have been on many threads where people are getting confused because they don't know the difference between geographic vs. magnetic pole shift for example. It is not meant to sway one way or the other but encourages (I think) questions and more research. Many people try to debate these issues without having a basic understanding of the concepts first.

I agree with some of you who said that it is simplistic and that it may be biased towards skepticism but regardless, it still may be useful to some. The date on the visual is 2009 - we've gained a lot of information since then. If anyone is seeking answers, look for the relevant information that's out there.

It's the teacher in me that compels me to post things like this...didn't know it was posted before (sorry) but maybe it was a good review for some people.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Great find! There's a lot of nonsense out there and it's refreshing to see so much of it laid out so starkly.

I'm especially amused by the people saying "The skeptics are in denial! There must be _something_ going on. I really, really, _really_ feel like it!". The skeptics aren't "in denial" -- they're saying that the believers are _factually incorrect_ on most, if not all, points. For example, the "passing through the galactic plane" meme -- it's just plain flat-out _wrong_. It's not about belief or interpretation, it's about measurement and math. And before anyone jumps up to say "Well, that's just scientism and interpretation!", remember -- you are posting your reply using a computer. The only reason it works is because we have a precise, tested, mathematical model of how matter behaves at the finest level. This stuff _works_ and any denial of that fact posted in this forum only supports my point.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
One thing that I would really love to know is why I hear people saying the Mayans were right about so many other things in the past including their own downfall to the day etc. but I've never seen the proof of it. I've heard they were spot on with dates for wars and the likes but again, never seen the proof. Does anyone out their have some because I really believe the Mayans could be truely amazing if the were right so many times before. Their concept of time is something out of this world considering they wern't as Techno. Advanced as us, so if anyone could bring proof of what they have said would happen and when I would love to read it and share with the world myself too

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I'm sceptical about the idea a mutant star goat will eat the sun on the 4th March 2011. I guess I'm also in denial because I think there's more chance of Mother Teresa winning the next US Presidential Election with Shergar as her running mate.

Needless to say I beieve end of the world predictions for 2012 in the same way I beleive end of the world predictions for 1998, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2029 and 2036

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by flyingviolet
This is a great visual that consolidates information. It shows the two views side by side. Not sure if this has been posted before but I wanted to share..
2012: End of the World?

2012, End of the World, UFOs, The Paranormal.
Touching all these topics, a hysterically hilarious documentary movie will be coming out in March.
It's called GAWD BLESS AMERICA.
This promises to be one of the best movies to come, whether one is a believer or a skeptic:
GAWD BLESS AMERICA

The Civilian Intelligence Network

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by canofnothing
The believers sound foolish and none credible, but the skeptics sound like they are in denial.

Originally posted by Gab1159
The skeptic is in hard denial.

In denial of what?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by UndeadDinosaur

Denial of denial it would seem.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior
Denial of denial it would seem.

Of course, that doesn't even attempt to answer the question.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

It's not healthy to hang out with people that think they are going to die.

No one that I know thinks that 2012 means anything at all. They have heard and think it is a poorly constructed hoax which is so clearly a hoax. I have not met anyone face to face that thinks there is anything substantiate there, let alone dangerous.

Hope you find some clear headed friends to dispel this aura of doom.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

My main problem with that is that both sided are believers. You cant proof the future so the skeptics only believe it wont happen, they don't have time machines and don't know for sure but they try to say they do. Both sides can be as bad as each other some times.

One of the easy means of dispelling almost every 2012 claim is to ask for the evidence. The 2012 claims are quickly seen to be composed of lies such as the claims that there are prophecies or predictions associated with the end of the long count calendar. There are none. If people claim there ask them to show these calendars and where they are written by the Mayans.

The claim that the future can't be predicted is not true. There are many things that can be predicted. Don't 2012 believers claim the Mayans predicted 2012?

An example of a predicted event that man has done for thousands of years is the prediction of eclipses. That same modern capability which predicts an eclipse across North America in 2017 also is the means of showing that there can be no planet Nibiru - ever. You can't have a planet with an orbital time of 3 or 4 thousand years, entering the orbits of the known planets without leaving evidence. That evidence would be seen as unpredicted motions of the known planets.

Many things can be predicted about the future. There are also many things about the future that cannot be predicted. The behavior of the leader of North Korea cannot be predicted. The start of wars, terrorist events, the winner of a sporting event, etc. cannot be predicted. On the other hand many things such as Nibiru, and rapid pole shifts can be shown to be false.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Evil - by it's very nature - will lead to its own downfall. 2012 (2011) will be the time when every worshipper of this 'god' will get to meet him. Maybe.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join