It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the drinking age be lowered?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but i figured the ability to handle the consumption of alcahol is somewhat a medical issue.

The U.S. drinking age is set at 21. Many people find this unfair..
If 18 year olds can go to war and be killed, why cant they have a drink?

Any feedback would make me grateful, thanks.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
In Canada and many other countries the drinking age is 18 ...
I'm 21 so I don't care if they lower it, doesn't affect me ....

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   
The only way the US drinking age being 21 affects me is i have to wait another year untill i visit your country... in Aus, its 18 but the cops arent strict on underage drinking at all so its not uncommon to have 15 year olds drinking

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
i think it should be lowered. underage persons who want to drink have ways of doing so- friends, fake id, stupid waiters and cashiers at gas stations, etc. it just gets alot of people in trouble for underage possesion.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   
legalize da weed man!

lol wrong thread!

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   
What? There's a drinking age?

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid
What? There's a drinking age?

lol of course there's a drinking age :-p
I'm not even sure why the U.S. had to put it to 21 years old..that seems a bit random...

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The problem with drinking age is the driving problems; people can not just keep the drinking to the privacy of their homes most people take it to the streets into their cars and to the innocent by stander. I think the laws are doing a job, regardless of the drinking age.

When I was younger drinking age was not an issue it became an issue when more teens started to own cars and took the drinking to the streets.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
in the US its 21. and i dont think that it should be lowered. teenagers here arent responsible enough to have the drinking age lowered.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I see this way not body is resposible at any age for drinking as long as they take it to the streets.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I think the reason it is at 21 is that your liver isnt fully formed untill around that age... but if you really cared about your liver you wouldnt drink anyways. Here in Aus we have very few problems with teenage drunks (there are some of course but not alot more than older drunks). I have also found that when younger kids (15-17) cant get booze readily they turn to Weed, which in turn will turn into other drugs. I think stopping people from drinking opens up a whole other can of worms

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   

I heard that argument from a girl in my class one day. I almost laughed out loud because apparantly she didn't realize that she doesn't have to fill out a Solictive Service card at 18 like me. I don't see why everyone is obsessed with drinking/drugs/tobacco/etc. what is so great about destroying your body? It is something I will never do or understand. However, I won't try to stop anyone. If I or someone I love gets hit by a drunk driver however, I might show them an interesting place to put those empty beer cans

Consider that your warning and proceed to render your mind pointless

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I didn't like it when they first raised the drinking age. I believe I was around 19 or so at the time and it was actually legal for me to drink. Then some interim drinking age law went into effect and it became illegal for me to drink for about 9 months. I was thinking, what stupid law makers make it legal to drink, then illegal for about 9 months for people my age. I believe the drinking laws are all part of a campaign to make all alcohol illegal which I am opposed to.

Did you know mouth wash has alcohol in it? You could gargle with mouth wash, go for a drive, then get arrested because an officer detects or smells alcohol on your breath. I haven't heard of this happening yet but fear it's only a matter of time with a move towards lower and lower alcohol limits.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by RogueX

I heard that argument from a girl in my class one day. I almost laughed out loud because apparantly she didn't realize that she doesn't have to fill out a Solictive Service card at 18 like me. I don't see why everyone is obsessed with drinking/drugs/tobacco/etc. what is so great about destroying your body? It is something I will never do or understand. However, I won't try to stop anyone. If I or someone I love gets hit by a drunk driver however, I might show them an interesting place to put those empty beer cans

Consider that your warning and proceed to render your mind pointless

it has nothing to do if you agree with alcahol...i will probably never drink in my life but its about the principle...the government shouldnt be able to set the age at 21 while everything is 18.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter

Did you know mouth wash has alcohol in it? You could gargle with mouth wash, go for a drive, then get arrested because an officer detects or smells alcohol on your breath. I haven't heard of this happening yet but fear it's only a matter of time with a move towards lower and lower alcohol limits.

Yes, it does...but the thing is, it has a very low alcohol concentrate in it, the same with cough drops...thats why when they give u a breathalizer, there is a bit of leeway...but if u have even 1 drink, the cop can detect it cuz it has much more alcohol than cough drops.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Here in Aus if your on a provisional license which i am and everyone is untill they are at least 20, you have a 0.00 alcohol limit when your driving. So if i rinse my mouth out with mouthwash (which i do every morning) and get pulled over for a breath test it will read over the limit. Young drivers have actually been told not to use mouthwash to avoid this from happening coz they have a zero tolerance policy. I think zero tolerance is good for drink driving laws, but i think some leeway should be had for mouthwash and cough drops etc etc

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
i am agisnt drinking, all it dose it get ppl laid and killed...which, if you think about it, the whole getting laid thing might even the death/birth rasio.. anyway, i think 18 year olds going to war in a draft is dumb, i know like 20000 ppl who are thick headed enough to go to war for free, and about 98.2% of them are country fan(hehehe)
and really, i think we should get beer banned
so as to save the children. please think of the children..

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
There are people that are 50 and cant handle it. I dont think it should be lowered. It is the number one worse substance to put in your body.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
"There are people that are 50 and cant handle it. I dont think it should be lowered. It is the number one worse substance to put in your body."

DARN strate!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Here in PR the drinking age is 18. But you can get beer way younger than that. Some places enforce those laws, some dont.

new topics

top topics

join