It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Older and Seasoned Members among us, if you could go back to your 20's, what would you do different

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

In all fairness, these times we are livin in while depressed, certainly do not mirror the Great Depression era.

People back then were better. They didnt mind hard work. They werent loaded down with a bunch of unnecessary crap they didnt need. They werent buried neck deep in credit card debt. Homes were actually affordable to the common man. They didnt share todays sense of entitlement. Community was still alive and well.

This is the GD part II, only this time it will feature automatic weapons and gangs of murdering thugs.

This time we wont recover so easily.

Not to mention the people during the first Great Depression had a man like FDR to guide them, a solid and stable leader to look to when things were at their darkest. A leader who exemplified courage and conviction to overcome.

And now look at what WE have for a leader.

Case closed.

edit on 2/18/11 by BlackOps719 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

My advice....

Always tell the truth.

Keep your promises.

Look people in the eye when you have a conversation.

Listen more and talk less. (I am still working on that one myself)

In business, men especially, respect a firm handshake.

Learn a trade.

Don't be afraid of physical work if you are up to it.

This one might sound off the wall, but search for business network groups like BNI. Visit different chapters and offer to be a substitute. Sometimes it's not what you know, but who you know.

Volunteer.

If you decide to get married, spend plenty of time with their family, how he or she treats their parents and brothers/sisters is how you will be treated. This advice is never wrong.

Get a dog, but take care of it!

A cat will do.

If you get a credit card only spend what you can pay off, in full, at the end of every month.

Your friends should laugh when you laugh and cry when you cry. If this isn't the case, dump them.

When people treat you poorly try and be kind, but don't be a push over.

Read, then read some more. Especially legal documents.

Treat people with respect, whether they are homeless or a bank president.

If you talk the talk you better be able to back it up. Remember though, that humility goes a long way.

This final thought will be really weird, but, if someone knocks on your door on a Saturday morning and wants to talk to you about the bible......

Keep an open mind, there are better days ahead.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
We are nowhere nearly as well off as people were during the Great Depression yet.... According to all of my relatives that were around during that period, everyone was playing on a level field and for the most part happy to do whatever they could to help their friends and family even if it mean't digging ditches, picking cotton or picking up empty soda water bottle to reap the 1cent return on.... We all have so much in the way of physical possessions that keep us tied to the system that has enslaved us into craving more even if it kills us that we never have time to appreciate life itself... Now that I finally have a road to my place I think I am going to lighten my load by having a huge barn sale... It might be time to quit kicking myself for having made so many stupid choices and start making good ones, maybe relocate to a small town south of the border.....

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl

So my question to those of you who have more life experience than my generation, in knowing what you know now, what would you do differently if hypothetically, tomorrow you woke up and were 25 years old again? Maybe you have a son or daughter in their twenties. What advice do you offer them?

edit on 17-2-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

I was going to say "Not marry my first husband!" but if I woke up at 25, it would already be too late (I married him when I was 21).
I'd devote myself to some serious study, and be qualified back then instead of having to wait too long. My son has already done that, so he's got more sense than I had...
Vicky

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Thanks for all the responses guys, and gals. A lot of good stuff in here.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join