It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An idea for future Presidents, Senate and HoR runners

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Congress needs new blood in there, and not just ones with degrees from Ivy League schools, but ones that have lived in the working class. The perspective is so warped, sheltered from the walls of the capital that it does not see what the reality of the weight of the decisions really have on the people of our nation.

I know when Obama was running, he claimed to be of the poor class while growing up. That's good and all, but he seems to have forgotten all about that time and any struggles had.

I think new requirements for those running is that they MUST MUST MUST MUST live for one year at a min wage job, with fluctuating hours like we all get (25-30 hrs a week since NO one gives 40 any more) with NO access to any other money and no help from anyone else until they absolutely need it. And even then it has to be help via govt aid and NO special treatment just because they're running or are voted in. For real. Take a walk on this side of the tracks for a year and THEN when they're a President, Senate or a HoR, then they'll know what it's like, remember and start prioritizing where things should be.

Just musing here really. I know some will tear this apart and others will agree somewhat or fully but hey. I'm just putting that out there at any rate. Kind of tired of the Republicrats, to be honest.

edit on 17-2-2011 by sarra1833 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

You know, I believe that would be helpful. It would remind the members of the government what life is like outside of the upper class, where everything is given to you on a golden platter. I think it would help put a perspective on things, too. Unfortunately, it would not completely solve the problem, seeing as most of the politicians could not survive through that year

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Agreed
. The problem that I've always had with politics is it takes a lot of money to run for office. You need connections and people in high places or you don't have much of a chance. The whole nature of politics discourages most honest hard working people because they're just that, honest. Honesty gets you nowhere in politics imo. I know that's a horrible way to look at things but until I see politicians more concerned with who they're working for(us) than they're own political agenda things will just stay the same.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Brainwashedteen

Thanks for agreeing! I definitely think it would help things a LOT if they required that. It'd be hard to pull off since the cost of running is so high but usually it's the people backing them who donate the funds to help them run (at least that was the case with Ron Paul in 08), so if we kind of over look that, if we required them to play the poorer class role for one year before election day, I really think the shell shock would carry through the term/s they hold and could make a huge huge difference for all Americans as a whole. Not just the poor.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by willie9696

Yeah, we both posted in the same mind frame there, friend. I think if this were to be implemented, they'd find a way to work through it. Their friends in high places could still sponsor them BUT they'd have to sign something to ensure they did NOT aid the candidate during their year of 'real life living'; keep it legit for all running.

Course the way politics = lies, you know they'd find a way to get their upper class life still while playing the part of being poor and down and out. "So, I see ya got a burger from mcdonalds there, in the wrapper and.... ahh what's this? Filet Mignon on bread in a mcdonalds wrapper, eh?"

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Yea I wouldn't mind knowing that our Congress, President, etc. had lived in the real world at least once in their lives.
Maybe they should also add a rating process for them. When they get towards the end of their term we can judge if they deserve continued benefits such as security or medical.
I don't want to have to pay for the continued benefits of a horrible representative of America.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

No, they'd not get any continued benefits. People in those roles of HoR, Senate, President get paid NICE salaries. The benefits were just for when they're living the poor real life. They wouldn't need food stamps once elected - but hopefully they'd understand WHY the poor folk still DO, etc etc etc., and why we need better health care and better wages and cost of living to go DOWN some to make up for the small wages us hourly workers (and those making small salaries too) get.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
When the President loses his spot, he gets the same salary for life. What other job does that???

I think as an add on that they should get social security upon leaving the Office. Then you KNOW social would be fixed real fast for everyone too. I'm working on making a website with unlimited bandwidth to get my ideas above across to more people. Everyone I've talked to in my town so far LOVES the idea and think it could help turn around the Country. It IS our govt after all.

Time to take the reins.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Kinda bumping my own thread here but as it was written in Feb and we are just now starting Presidential electory 'fun', I figured a lot of you would get a kick - or a good head nod - about my little idea above.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
You would have to amend the Constitution to make this a requirement and guess who is in charge of doing that? I don't believe your idea is plausible.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Which is sadly why things will remain how they will. It's sad. I kinda lost all faith in the govt as a whole.
us vs them? Glad I'm on the us side even though we're being shafted.

Still. It was a great idea to at least imagine
Nothing wrong with a nice what if scenario, if I do say so myself.

new topics

top topics

join