It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Explosions And Major Fire Burns an Electrical Substation in Madrid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   
At around 1:30 pm local time the lights went out for downtown neighborhoods in the area, and then a explosion was heard, ten minutes later another explosion was heard. The power was restored to most areas immediately, the causes of the explosions have not been identified by authorities. There are no reports of injuries or casualties.

Major Electrical Fire Burns in Madrid

A power outage swept through downtown neighborhoods, but electricity was quickly restored to most areas. Power remained out at the tourist areas surrounding the blaze near the broad tree-lined Paseo del Prado.

The cause of the explosions was not immediately identified by authorities. A worker who had been installing generators at the private electrical utility Union Fenosa's substation said the generators exploded when turned on.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The explosions occurred in the ground floor where the three generators of the substation are kept. According to Manuel Escalera Gonzalez, an employee in the substation, if the workers would have been on the ground floor they would have been killed.
An update will follow when more information is available.

[edit on 7-15-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Are power grids being targeted?

Did we ever get to the bottom of the Greek outage a few days back? I saw the ATSNN post but no follow-up on explanations.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   
The problem is not that we, at ATSNN, don't usually make follow ups on stories. The problem is that it doesn't seem any of the media, even those outside of the US, are making follow up of these stories. We can only do so much about it, since we depend on the reports that are given.

It is possible that some of these reports are accidents, but i think there have been a bit too many "accidents" recently.

For some reason, most of these stories are not given follow ups by the international press.

It is also true that normally it takes some time to find evidence of any wrong doing, but it would really look bad if the Spanish government "still" had to concede that terrorists are still attacking them, if we are to believe the reports of bombs being found in train tracks in places like Spain, and France.

Many people still don't know this, but you can't give in to terrorism. Once all the demands of terrorists are met, they will make more demands, and already some of the demands they are asking for are impossible to concede.

[edit on 15-7-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
if we are to believe the reports of bombs being found in train tracks in places like Spain, and France.

While Spain obviously had a terrorism problem on their train tracks, France was threatened by simple criminals. So no Islamistic Terrorism, just to point it out.

I agree with you on the rest though we had some very good reports on TV, last year, during those several power outtages. They described and compared the electricity grids and pointed out what really happened. Quite interesting.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by shoo

Originally posted by Muaddib
if we are to believe the reports of bombs being found in train tracks in places like Spain, and France.

While Spain obviously had a terrorism problem on their train tracks, France was threatened by simple criminals. So no Islamistic Terrorism, just to point it out.

Let me show you some of the places that have been targeted by terrorists.

France Investigates New Terror Threat
Paris

16 Mar 2004 20:21 UTC
France has opened an investigation into threats from a radical Islamic group over France's decision to ban religious attire in schools. The threats against France precede that country's election on Sunday.

In a message sent to national newspaper Le Parisien, a group calling itself the "Servants of Allah the Powerful and Wise" warned about possible attacks against France and French interests abroad.

The two-page statement was addressed to French Prime Minister Jean-Pierre Raffarin and was signed "Movsar Baraiev commando", similar to the name of a Chechen terrorist who was killed in the hostage taking in a Moscow theater in October 2002. It was not immediately possible for authorities to assess the authenticity of the letter.

Here are some other links to terrorism in the US and the world in general,
www.worldthreats.com...

The following are older news of the same kind, from last year, and these are not all of them, do a search and you will find more.

Germans Detain Five People in Possible Terror Plot
Police raided the Al-Nur mosque in Berlin, which also houses the offices of an Islamic community group.

Authorities say the group may have been planning bomb attacks. The detentions come after Paris authorities discovered traces of the poison ricin at a train station.

German authorities have acted to stop a group of people suspected of planning terrorist attacks that would be carried out in retaliation for the U.S.-led war against Iraq.

Fighting Terrorism: Lessons from France
France has been remarkably successful in thwarting Islamist terrorism. The French experience holds some challenging lessons for the U.S.
The French have a long and intimate acquaintance with terror, earned in years of attacks by Algerian independence fighters. Although currently plagued by an Islamist terror threat, French authorities have made their country so inhospitable to terrorist networks that many have relocated to Germany. How did they do it? What lessons can the U.S. learn? And, perhaps most important, how many civil liberties are we willing to give up in the process?

[edit on 16-7-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 04:30 AM
link   
great what we need more terriosum in our world thoose attention seekers
would bbc know what type of explosives they used?

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Note how countries that have been against the war are also being targeted.
Does that mean noone can believe the terrorists even if they give their word?

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Muaddib, what has this to do with train tracks? I never said that there are no terror threats in France. I just corrected your statement that bombs had been found on train tracks in France, placed by terrorists.
So don't let me look like I was wrong when it was you

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by shoo

Shoo, you said France has not been threatened by radicals, or Islamist terrorists, that's what i was showing you that you were wrong about. The above quote is from you. I don't believe every Muslim, or every ethnic group from the Middle East that is not Muslim, is a terrorist. But a lot of countries, including many of those who were against the coalition and the war in Iraq, are having radical Muslim threats, from one group or another. Read the news sections that I quoted above, it clearly says "Islamic terrorism, or radical Islamic terrorism." I have never said that only Islamic terrorists make threats or attack anyone, but right now, most radical Islamist groups are doing this.

I can see that I did not provide the link of a bomb scare in a train track in France, so here is the link.

France urges calm over rail bomb
Wednesday, 24 March, 2004, 23:53 GMT
The prime minister of France, Jean-Pierre Raffarin, has appealed for calm after a bomb was found on a main railway line.

The state-run rail company SNCF said the device was found during an inspection of the line between Paris and the Swiss city of Basel.

A bomb disposal squad made the device safe, the government announced.

--------edited to add link-----------

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Why do you consequently missunderstand any statement to turn into a new totally different statement?

Shoo, you said France has not been threatened by radicals, or Islamist terrorists, that's what i was showing you that you were wrong about.

I clearly said that while spain had terrorists planting bombs on their train tracks, France didn't have.
There were NO terrorists planting bombs on french train tracks. It was a group of simple criminals and no islamistic terrorists that planted those bombs!

Is it sooo hard to understand? I don't get how somebody can do 2 posts, like you did but just ignore what I said.

Did I say there was no islamistic terrorism in France? Nooooo! Jesus, I feel like talking to little kids.

I am beginning to think you are just trying to make the terrorist threat bigger than it is. Any reason? You need to sell some products or what?

From another topic about "Abu Hafs al-Masri Brigade, "We'll Really Burn Italy" you say:

There have been bombs found not only in Spain train tracks but also in France, and probably other places.

"Probably other places"...what now? Yes or no? That's important.
And why is it you mention those train track bombs in France in a thread about islamstic terrorism?
IT WAS A DAMN GROUP OF CRIMINALS.

Man, you are mixing up everything. Get yourself sorted it's so frustrating to read your posts. Still waiting for your proof that the german government was actively involved into the genocide in Sudan and military equipment shippings.

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I am not going to be arguing about this with you, as you obviously do not concede that you made an error in that part.

About my statement on the bombs which were found in France's train tracks, yes i did make an error, at least I am man enough to concede that i can make mistakes. I was not fully aware it had been done by "regular terrorists," if you would have posted a link and an excerpt, that would have given other members of ATSNN, and me the knowledge that we needed, or at least it would have informed me about it...

About the German shipments, even if it is offtopic.... pray tell me who is able to sell German military helicopters to the Arab militia in Sudan?....

BTW, if you do have any grievances with me, you can either do it through u2u or you can place a formal complain stating your reasons.

new topics

top topics

join