It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supporters of "RoboCop" Statue in Detroit Raise More Than $50K

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Supporters of 'RoboCop' Statue in Detroit Raise More Than $50K

www.foxnews.com

Technology
Supporters of 'RoboCop' Statue in Detroit Raise More Than $50K

Published February 17, 2011
| FoxNews.com
Print Email Share Comments (82) Text Size

Despite the Detroit mayor's apparent disinterest in erecting a "RoboCop" statue, supporters of the idea have exceeded their fundraising goal of $50,000 -- hoping their plans to honor the legendary cyborg will become a reality.

The story of "RoboCop," a hero officer killed in a shootout and brought back to life as a half-mechanized crime fighter in Detroit, is a 1987 cult classic.

The push to construct a s
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 17-2-2011 by BlasteR because: (no reason given)

edit on Feb 17th 2011 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Yes! Robocop statue in Detroit!

OMGZORZ!

Seriously, that would be a sweet idea though.

I remember watching the first Robocop when I was like 11. My mom had a fit when she found out my dad let me watch it! If detroit needs a hero though, I guess Robocop is as good as any.

Pretty shocking that they've been able to raise that much money too. They much really like Robocop in Detroit!

-ChriS

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I'm sorry but this is what they are raising money for...in Detroit? That place is like a third world country. Please put the money in the school systems and get a art major sculpt it out of wax.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Yikes! For some reason ATS didn't like the punctuation marks around Robocop in the thread title and it chopped off the rest of the title.

What the heck?

Thanks mods for fixing the glitch in the thread title!

-ChriS
edit on 17-2-2011 by BlasteR because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
As long as it is all private donations, I have no problem with it at all. Not one red cent of taxpayers money should be used though.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Maybe it will bring more tourists to detroit.

PYRAMIDS - EIFFEL TOWER - TAJ MAHAL - ROBOCOP STATUE.

I've seen the movie about a million times (the part with the guys skin hanging off at the end still sticks with me)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by packinupngoin
I'm sorry but this is what they are raising money for...in Detroit? That place is like a third world country. Please put the money in the school systems and get a art major sculpt it out of wax.

If you had watched the video and read the story you would have seen this, it also will help Detroit Schools.

LEONARD: The money's coming from a website called Kickstarter … It's a micro-funding website, which allows individuals to donate. It doesn't matter where they're from. It's just for people that want to support the project, and we're at $50,000 … What we're asking people to do on the Kickstarter website is that the more they donate, we're going to be able to use sort of the popularity of this project to fund some other initiatives or maybe bring attention to some other things that may be happening in the city … A lot of people have been matching their donations to the Detroit Public Schools … That's something I personally did, and there's been a lot of people that have been sort of seeing this as a way to bring a lot of positive support to the city.

www.foxnews.com...

edit on 17-2-2011 by Aquarius1 because: fixed link

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
They'd buy that for 50,000 dollars.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Bing is a good mayor.

He is doing his best to bring Detroit back.

edit on 17-2-2011 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
though I support this idea, would rather see a statue first made of a detroit icon or some figure that helped the city. my first canidate would be barry sanders or steve yzerman. countless millions in revenue was generated off the backs of these two.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Thats is a awesome idea But still i would like a terminator or a Johny five statue

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Thats the most depressing case of worthless citizen activism Ive ever heard of.

I'm calling the League Of Shadows. Clearly Detroit has sunk into terminal moral decay and must be destroyed.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I love this idea. It's unique enough to attract tourism and reputation to the city while being somewhat serious in a metaphorical kind of way. I mean, sure, it's not some statue of an official like every other city has, but it's an important piece of history.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

in seeing that Detroit IMO, is one of the first American cities to really take a fall for the worst economically, socially, infrastructure-wise...

I could see this as being very much a possible symbolic harbinger of things to come...

Imagine Detroit in a post-apocalyptic scenario.. crime, chaos, rioting.. etc.. NWO iron-fist implementation.. in form of extremely advanced technologically armored super soldiers bringing out the big guns to bring the 'smackdown'... Detroit would be the prime location for the first of it's kind to be brought in...

Much like the Denver New World Airport 'Bluecifer' Hades Horseman's Horse statue being a calling card for the biological-weapon induced zombie apocalypse rumored to occur on 10/28/11 (Halloween)

mmmmmmmmyyyeeaaah-coooould beeee....

-

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
This is the best news I have heard in years. If there is a symbol the people can get behind, it is the mother lovin' Robocop.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I heard they have a Rocky statue in Philly, so why not? RoboCop also seems quite fitting in regards to modern-day Detroit. They should also get an ED-209 statue to go along with it.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by pauljs75
I heard they have a Rocky statue in Philly, so why not? RoboCop also seems quite fitting in regards to modern-day Detroit. They should also get an ED-209 statue to go along with it.

Apparently, alot of people agree with you. 50K was raised as of last week (before the media attention).

Getting the city council to go along with it is a whole other matter. Maybe they should call in the ED-209 for the meeting!

-ChriS

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I was gonna mention the Rocky statue.

This is awesome. Love that movie and I'm still hoping to have an ED-209 lifesize model, I'd definitely have a reason to visit Detroit if this statue gets erected.

new topics

top topics

join