It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Challenge to Christians: Prove the Bible is True

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

god said no one can prove his word is real only you can and the only way you can do that is by following his teachings by then the truth will be revealed to you

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by madscientistintraining
I do not entirely discount the message from the bible, but as you may have guessed I have issues with alot of the text, especially the parts I believe we're put there 'recently', not to even mention the books that we're intentionally left out at the original time of compilation, which have now been found and added to the wonderful thing we call the internet. still waiting for the one that explains the giants and the fallen angels...

ed: I find it epically ironic also that they decided to leave the part in where it clearly says 'never ever change this document or so help me i'll come down there and tear you a new one' but less obviously, more biblical...i'm sure someone knows which scene I am refering to.
edit on 17-2-2011 by madscientistintraining because: (no reason given)

um it's still there in the back of the bible lol don't speak about things you don't know

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by squizzy
First of all please can you elaborate on what you perceive as PROOF, as this is different to each person.
Secondly, yes all christians know the Bible was put together from chosen books but my thoughts are that all the other books that were omitted could also be the word of God. Man made the decisions on which books should be included but I do aknowledge that they may have been guided by him, but that does not mean to say the omitted ones were any less important. Does it?

then you don't believe in the bible because the bible WAS WRITTEN BY MAN stop contradicting yourself

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66
reply to post by pirhanna

Yeah....I know we're always going to come up against 'faith'....but history proves the present bible was the result of human manipulation. I just want to hear how they argue this 'word of God' nonsense yet again. Maybe, just maybe, one day they will hear themselves.

I'm spiritual...believe we are more than flesh and bone....but obviously...religion is man made NOT God given.

what history are you referring to the one written BY THE SAME MAN YOU CONNDEMN? you're hypocritical and putting your faith more in man than god so there's nothing to say to you

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
The bible can be found true to people who have read it and have had dreams because of reading it, those totally experiencing the truth about a higher power. Personally, the bible had quite an impact on my life. There's a lot to it for people who try to find God again. People can be very complicated. There's always a backdoor to people for God.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by fordrew

oo you were there when he was making it?...i thought not

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by fordrew

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Christianity is fourmed From other religions...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
A pearl is a treasure made out of a living organism, therefore it is a treasure from Life; if you cast your pearls to swine, it will be turned into dung, and the swine will turn again and rend you. He that seeks shall find; but he that mocks shall be mocked.

Peace be with you!!!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

So would you mind please giving me a few examples of how this "ideological force" is destructive of freedom and human rights?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by macario

So would you mind please giving me a few examples of how this "ideological force" is destructive of freedom and human rights?

Yes, I would...it would take a smidgin of critical thinking, and that's not gonna happen tonight.

And anyways, I read ALL 6 of your posts and you seem not only intelligent, but bright...a little deluded in terms of personal beliefs, but I drink domestic beer once a week, so I have no right to throw stones.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

My challenge.
Prove to me (with my knowledge of the Bible) that;
1. Jesus is the Messiah craved by the Hebrews as recognised by Christians
2. The first five books of the OT are not simply a means of giving a disparate and genetically diverse people a unifying sense of identity.
3. That the Bible is the word of God.

What would you accept as undeniable proof?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

I actually have a love of the Bible....as an historical document. It lends insight into how those in far off times, in far off lands lived in the distant past. That they had to pay taxes, and had a control system in place very similar to the control systems we have in place today. It gives insight into the foods they enjoyed eating and the celebrations they considered worthwhile and the troubles they had to deal with on a daily basis.

All Christians will be aware of the Creed of Nicaea (or they should be) and the input of dear old Emperor Constantine re the decision that Jesus should be deemed a deity at a time when the Roman Empire was in decline

All Christians will be aware of the input of Paul/Saul (or they should be) into Christian doctrine (his writings make up circa 40% of the New Testament). They will also be aware of the fact he never met Jesus and was at the core of a schism of the sect with those who had met him and who were horrified at Paul’s teachings.

All Christians will be aware of the Gnostic teaching (or they should be) that are as old as the NT texts, and their cteachings that anyone who claims Jesus is the son of God ‘is a fool’...or why else would he make the distinction of praying to His father in heaven....if he had only one father. That’s what they say.

All Christians will be aware of the fact that Christendom (Europe) was eventually forced to take on board these teachings and that they were not some sudden realization of ‘truth’ but enforced dogma.

My challenge.
2. The first five books of the OT are not simply a means of giving a disparate and genetically diverse people a unifying sense of identity.

actually what happened with the creed of nicaea ,God was turned into a trinity.because all the pagan gods were three headed trinity's so because there were more pagans and christians that were hanging onto pagans beliefs than there were believers that God is one ,Constantine went with the most popular theology.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by infojunkie2

actually what happened with the creed of nicaea ,God was turned into a trinity.because all the pagan gods were three headed trinity's so because there were more pagans and christians that were hanging onto pagans beliefs than there were believers that God is one ,Constantine went with the most popular theology.

Wrong. The Nicean Council was convened to settle the Arian Controversy. It was to decide how to define Jesus's deity. The Trinity had long been established.

The Trinity

The council of Nicea dealt primarily with the issue of the deity of Christ. Over a century earlier the use of the term "Trinity" ("trinitas" in Latin) could be found in the writings of Origen (185-254) and Tertullian (160-220), and a general notion of a "divine three", in some sense, was expressed in the second and third-century writings of Polycarp, Ignatius, and Justin Martyr. But the doctrine in a more full-fledged form was not formulated until the Council of Constantinople in 360 AD.

First Council of Nicea

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

On the point of the Bible itself:

1: Internal consistency.

2: Predictive power (but this one requires that someone makes the prediction now and then we wait until that prediction comes true to prevent post-hoc rationalization).

3: Inarguable moral messages.

4: Accurate descriptions of history confirmed through archeological research.

5: Accurate descriptions of physical reality confirmed through scientific research.

That seems like a pretty good set of criteria.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Satisfactorily answering those questions may lead you (madness) to respecting the book a little more but it doesn't touch the belief in God. How many time must it be said this is a faith based belief?

So the question remains unanswered.

What would you accept as undeniable proof of God?

edit on 5/18/2011 by kinglizard because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

My challenge.

I've participated in many online forums, and whenever I read a message like this it always makes me wonder why someone would go to some random forum to ask a question like this when there are tons of books and web sites out there by educated scholars and experts in the field. I'm not sure what you might expect to read in a response limited to a few paragraphs here that would answer your questions satisfactorily when it's taken experts thousands of pages to respond to these questions! Plus you don't know what the credentials are of people posting here, it may be some 15-year-old that's never opened the Bible that has good intentions, but no knowledge. All I can tell you or any other unbeliever reading this is to really delve into it with an open mind and read everything that interests you on the subject. Especially look into archaology and fulfilled prophecy, these are two areas that were very convincing for me. Salvation is a very personal issue between each person and the Lord and each person must seek on their own or they will not find.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

It depends on which one we're talking about. And yes, there are multiple versions of the Christian deity as each group...nay, each individual tends to attribute certain characteristics to it to certain degrees.

One useful item would be a definition. If you could define a deity then it would be a lot easier.

Anyway, it wouldn't be on single item, as no one single item is really enough on its own to prove anything.

1: Let's say we start off "small" and go with that Bible stuff. If the book was at least accurate in the ways described then it would lend credence to divine authorship and to acceptance of the religious claims within.

2: Another "small" proposition, proof that intercessory prayer only works when directed at that deity.

3: Though the one thing that would really make me question things as just a single data point would be a believer moving a mountain with faith.

4: Evidence of instances where the only reasonable explanation would be a violation of the laws of physics by this divine being.

Handful of things that might convince me.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SavedOne

You must be unfamiliar with both archeology and logical reasoning.

The archeology of ancient Canaanite culture throws everything about the whole 'foundation of Israel' thing into question.

As for 'prophecy', it's nothing but post-hoc rationalizations of very vague passages.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

As for 'prophecy', it's nothing but post-hoc rationalizations of very vague passages.

"Nothing but"???

Utterly absurd, King Cyrus the Great when he conquered Babylon was shown a 150 year old "letter" by the prophet Daniel that God had written to Cyrus in the book of Isaiah calling him out by his name and highlighting his career. King Cyrus was so impressed he released the Jews and gave them gold and silver to rebuild the temple.

"Very vague passages" describes the work of Nostradamus, not Biblical prophecy.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

might as well ignore old madness ↑, he is stuck on himself and his fancy college words he throws around to sound authoritative. His evolution has been proven wrong more times than he posts in the Faith forum. Which is a lot...

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join