It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Challenge to Christians: Prove the Bible is True

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Personally speaking I've read and studied the Bible for about 20 years. I look at it like this, there are 66 books in the Bible, written over thousands of years by approx. 40 different authors. People have studied both to prove or disprove it, historically the Bible is accurate and includes many dates(genealogies, etc). My question is how could 40 author's write 66 books and there aren't any contradictions? From studying the bible I have come to the conclusion that a lot of what we think we know(through church dogma) imo is not the heart of God. God isn't concerned as much with who we sleep with or what we smoke or drink than He is by how we treated others. The problem arises when we think we can do anything to get into heaven other than believe. I have questioned many of my beliefs over the years but I've never doubted God. Can't explain why, but did you ever just know something was right? I'm not talking about religion. God is way cooler then we think and I think he's just waiting to get the party started. And the ones over the years that have perverted the word of God will be dealt with don't worry. Great thread btw

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by willie9696
God is way cooler then we think and I think he's just waiting to get the party started. And the ones over the years that have perverted the word of God will be dealt with don't worry. Great thread btw

Absolutely!

Well said my friend.

Judge not, Love all, be at peace

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
the Danielle 70 week prophesy. it predicted the when the ministry of Jesus would happen and when Jesus would be crucified or sacrificed for our sins. oh and it did this 500 years before it happened.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

I was brought up in a criminal family ..My dad was a 3 time looser ..federal pen time ..plus many bits in the county jail ...All of my brothers 4 of them have criminal records ...I was kicked out of a church down the road when I was 8 for smoking ...I called myself a atheist until I was 27 ...One day I read the gospel of John ...I had never heard what I read or couldn't remember hearing what I read ...I then decided to read the whole bible ...It was a hard thing to understand ..Allot of it didn't make sense to me ..I got to the book of Isaiah and I came across a verse that said ..Come draw near to me and lets reason you who have escaped the nations ....I started going to a church and realized that despite the many good people involved there ,there were doctrines that didn't make sense ...I tried a few different churches but found the same thing ...I don't go to church but I read my bible and I pray to God threw my Lord and savior Jesus Christ ... You may be looking for proof and I don't blame you for that ...Its what I wanted to find when I first started looking into the subject of God ...Along the way I have become a stronger believer and probably a better person ...not better than someone else but a better person inside ..I don't know if that makes sense to you but to me its true ....peace

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Transcript from The Zeitgeist Move:

The Bible is nothing more than an astro-theological literary fold hybrid, just like nearly all religious myths before it. In fact, the aspect of transference, of one character's attributes to a new character, can be found within the book itself. In the Old Testament there's the story of Joseph. Joseph was a prototype for Jesus. Joseph was born of a miracle birth, Jesus was born of a miracle birth. Joseph was of 12 brothers, Jesus had 12 disciples. Joseph was sold for 20 pieces of silver, Jesus was sold for 30 pieces of silver. Brother "Judah" suggests the sale of Joseph, disciple "Judas" suggests the sale of Jesus. Joseph began his work at the age of 30, Jesus began his work at the age of 30. The parallels go on and on.

Furthermore, is there any non-Biblical historical evidence of any person, living with the name Jesus, the Son of Mary, who traveled about with 12 followers, healing people and the like? There are numerous historians who lived in and around the Mediterranean either during or soon after the assumed life of Jesus. How many of these historians document this figure? Not one. However, to be fair, that doesn't mean defenders of the Historical Jesus haven't claimed the contrary. Four historians are typically referenced to justify Jesus's existence. Pliny the younger, Suetonius, Tacitus and the first three. Each one of their entries consists of only a few sentences at best and only refer to the Christus or the Christ, which in fact is not name but a title. It means the "Anointed one" The fourth source is Josephus and this source has been proven to be a forgery for hundreds of years. Sadly, it is still cited as truth.

You would think that a guy who rose from the dead and ascended into Heaven for all eyes to see and performed the wealth of miracles acclaimed to him would have made it into the historical record. It didn't because once the evidence is weighed, there are very high odds that the figure known as Jesus, did not even exist.

The reality is, Jesus was the Solar Deity of the Gnostic Christian sect, and like all other Pagan gods, he was a mythical figure. It was the political establishment that sought to historize the Jesus figure for social control. By 325 a.d. in Rome, emperor Constantine convened the Council of Nicea. It was during this meeting that the politically motivated Christian Doctrines were established and thus began a long history of Christian bloodshed and spiritual fraud. And for the next 1600 years, the Vatican maintained a political stranglehold on all of Europe, leading to such joyous periods as the Dark Ages, along with enlightening events such as the Crusades, and the Inquisition.

Christianity, along with all other theistic belief systems, is the fraud of the age. It serves to detach the species from the natural world, and likewise, each other. It supports blind submission to authority. It reduces human responsibility to the effect that "God" controls everything, and in turn awful crimes can be justified in the name of Divine Pursuit. And most importantly, it empowers those who know the truth but use the myth to manipulate and control societies. The religious myth is the most powerful device ever created, and serves as the psychological soil upon which other myths can flourish.

This pretty much sums it up for me....

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Why just the bible, what about the Talmud, Qur'an, Vedas etc, not one of them can be proved to be inspired by a higher being.

There are some, who like myself go on a solo spiritual journey, others seem to need structure and order which is where holy books and organised religion come in.

I have no idea if Jesus was the son of God, that a man called Jesus was crucified for being a Christian is well documented, Tacitus, Suetonius, and others all mention him as being the leader of the Christians.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
You might like to read this ...this is a snip ...peace 1. Presupposing God in Apologetic Argument

Presuppositional apologetics may be understood in the light of a distinction common in epistemology, or theory of knowledge. In any factual inquiry, it is important to distinguish between the ideas we have prior to the inquiry and those we gain in the course of the inquiry. No one, of course, embarks on an investigation with an empty mind. If indeed we had done no previous thinking, nothing would motivate us to seek further information.

Now, a process of inquiry often corrects ideas we held previously. But it is also true that our previous ideas often serve as assumptions governing the inquiry: defining the field of investigation, determining the methods of study, governing our understanding of what results are possible, thus limiting what conclusions may come from the study. So there is usually a dynamic interaction in any study between assumption and investigation: the investigation corrects and refines our assumptions, but the assumptions limit the investigation.

There are some kinds of assumptions we usually consider immune from revision. Among these are the basic laws of logic and mathematics: what factual discovery could possibly persuade us that 2 + 2 is not equal to 4? The same is true of basic ethical principles, especially those governing the inquiry itself: For example, no factual discovery could legitimately persuade a researcher to be less than honest in recording data.

What about religious faith, as an assumption governing human thought? Scripture teaches that believers in Christ know God in a supernatural way, with a certainty that transcends that obtainable by investigation. Jesus himself reveals the Father to those he chooses (Matt. 11:25-27). Believers know God’s mysteries by revelation of his Spirit, in words inspired by the Spirit, giving them “the mind of Christ” (1 Cor. 2:9-16, compare 2 Tim. 3:16). So, by believing in Jesus, they know that they have eternal life (1 John 5:7). www.frame-poythress.org...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Creedo

yea zeitgeist has been debunked. most everything zeitgeist says about religion came from a book the 12 crucified saviors... none of the information can be verified by fact or fiction. where the creator of this book got his info i have no idea... most likely his imagination if i were to guess.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

PREDICTION -- you will NOT be converted by any Christians here or elsewhere... EVER!!

When it comes to folks "thirsting for answers", and "testing all things" involving the Christian faith, those such folks are rewarded for their efforts by the Christian cult members with nothing other than complete utter nonsense, lazy cop-outs, or insults resulting from lack of any valid defense or input whatsoever on the topic.

Christians display TIME AND TIME again that when it comes to their faith, they have no valid input to contribute. They in FACT know LESS of their faith than do the non-believers. Thats the BOTTOM LINE, PERIOD. It is CLEARLY demonstrated EVERY SINGLE TIME this discussion comes around. EVERY TIME!!!!!!

I used to be one on the cult members of this faith until I started reading about everything I could on it. I did this because I wanted to know all that I could about it and considered it my duty to do so to be right with this faith and its "God". I felt this was my OBLIGATION of being a GOOD member of the faith. And truly, the "faith" nonsense keeps the delusion going here. No wonder questions of the faith are always DISCOURAGED and viewed as NEGATIVE in this cult... Hmmmmmm...... I wonder why...

SO, your "testing" of the faith, and your "thirsting" for answers here into the Christian faith will reward you with nothing other than total RIDICULOUS nonsense, SILLY cop-outs, and IMMATURE insults from the lovely and "righteous" Christian cult.

"Ask and you shall receive..." YEA RIGHT!!!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Sorry but Aristotle's Dictum is in play here and it is your responsibility to prove it wrong.

good try.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by the2ofusr1
You might like to read this ...this is a snip ...peace 1. Presupposing God in Apologetic Argument

That entire article is nothing but an attempt to say "It's circular logic, and I know it's circular logic, but because I'm going to pretend that circular logic is valid you can't simply dismiss it out of hand as flawed".

Well, yes, we can.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

Incorrect, Aristotle's Dictum requires for those supporting the Bible to prove it is correct in the face of skepticism of it.

You cannot have "the Bible is correct" as the null position.

I can also quickly disprove the Bible: The Earth revolves around the Sun, there was never a global flood, bats aren't birds, there are no trees in the mustard family, the Sun and Moon predate plant life, the species of this planet including humanity never experienced a narrowing of the gene pool as described in the Noah account, the cure for leprosy isn't as described in the Bible, Jesus didn't return to usher in the end of days within the lifetime of any of his original disciples, the ship described as 'the Ark' wouldn't have been sea worthy, there is no evidence of the Jewish enslavement in Egypt, there is no evidence of the existence of Jesus of Nazareth, slavery is abominable, women are equal to men, etc.

I can go on for quite a while longer if you'd like. Even more so if you give me a year to highlight each and every part of the Bible that is either wrong or contradictory.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ACTS 2:38
Sorry but Aristotle's Dictum is in play here and it is your responsibility to prove it wrong.

Aristotle's dictum assumes that the document in question has already been supported with other evidence.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

You know, Satan knows the bible to, and he believes its truth. What your asking you need to search for within yourself. Your not going to wake up one morning and be a new person unless you have the faith (belief without seeing the hand of God) in God and in his teachings. Religion has nothing to do with it unless you make it a big deal. Religion is not the important part. Its faith in God and having Jesus as your savior that is the important part.
Its only people who want to make an issue out of things that throw the word religion around, but i'm sure you'll find that true believers in Jesus Christ will use the word faith, not religion.
Best of luck to you finding the answers you seek, but maybe just maybe your asking the wrong questions.

edit on 17-2-2011 by SusyQ30 because: Misspelled word

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SusyQ30

You know, Satan knows the bible to, and he believes its truth. What your asking you need to search for within yourself. Your not going to wake up one morning and be a new person unless you have the faith (belief without seeing the hand of God) in God and in his teachings. Religion has nothing to do with it unless you make it a big deal. Religion is not the important part. Its faith in God and having Jesus as your savior that is the important part.
Its only people who want to make an issue out of things that throw the word religion around, but i'm sure you'll find that true believers in Jesus Christ will use the word faith, not religion.
Best of luck to you finding the answers you seek, but maybe just maybe your asking the wrong questions.

edit on 17-2-2011 by SusyQ30 because: Misspelled word

It is , Unfortunately those same people of faith, that refuse to know him as he was. The truth about his life. Unfortunately people say he didn't even exist. This is incorrect, in fact he did, but the statement that Jesus of Nazareth never existed is true. The word Nazareth didn't exist until a 4th century Love poem and the city didn't exist until the 8th century. His name was Joshua ben Ja'acob ben Gennessereth pronounced Yeshua ben Ya'acob ben Gen nesserath. Translated Jesus (son)of Jacob of the Garden(Gen)of Princes(nessereth). Every Christian should know this let alone the rest of it. In order to defend ones faith you must know your faith better than they you are defending against as well as why you believe. You have an answer to the question. Please, stop defending your faith. Know your Faith, Be your Faith, and Express your Faith and the answer as to the truth will be yours.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66

All Christians will be aware of the Creed of Nicaea (or they should be) and the input of dear old Emperor Constantine re the decision that Jesus should be deemed a deity at a time when the Roman Empire was in decline.

Wow, this statement is odd. For one, the Nicean Council never discussed the books of the Bible, but clarified a position on the deity of Christ. The apostles, apostolic fathers, and early church all worshiped Jesus as Lord. The apostles did as well after His resurrection. The Nicean Council also discussed the position for the bishop at Alexandria, Egypt.

All Christians will be aware of the input of Paul/Saul (or they should be) into Christian doctrine (his writings make up circa 40% of the New Testament). They will also be aware of the fact he never met Jesus and was at the core of a schism of the sect with those who had met him and who were horrified at Paul’s teachings.

Horrified at Paul's teachings??? Are you sure about that? Take a peek at 2 Peter 3:15-16.

All Christians will be aware of the Gnostic teaching (or they should be) that are as old as the NT texts, and their cteachings that anyone who claims Jesus is the son of God ‘is a fool’...or why else would he make the distinction of praying to His father in heaven....if he had only one father. That’s what they say.

The Gnostic gospels have been all dated to the 2nd and 3rd centuries. Hundreds of years after the apostles.

There, now that these slight errors have been clarified, carry on. A good video series to answer many of your questions can be started here:

How We Got Our Bible: Old Testament; Chuck Missler Part1

How We Got Our Bible: New Testament; Chuck Missler Part1

edit on 17-2-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
In the earliest documents that we have of the gospels, Jesus was called "my saviour and my God" by his friends. He did not deny it but said that they only knew this because God had told them.

It sounds like you need to go back to the earliest source documents.

Other documents, at dates beyond a standard lifetime after Christs crucifiction, are unlikely to be the truth. Sorry.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
how about we all stop worrying and caring about someone else's believe. none of it matters anyway. we're all going to die. so in the end a belief doesnt matter, no matter what it is. let someone believe what they wanna believe and you believe what you wanna believe. i believe in god and the bible and all that, but i could give a damn what the next person thinks. someone else's belief is about as important as whats on the toilet paper when your using it. stop trying to debate about this stuff, and leave it alone. when you sit here and worry about someone else's belief your not really doing much for yourself but wasting your time. get a life. when a christian and an athiest die, they're dead, it doesnt matter if they go to a heaven, or a hell, they're still dead. i'll still die, you'll still die, and so will everyone else, so does a simple belief really matter? no. it does not. so get over it, move on.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I also studied the bible for many years looking for answers. I also studied in depth many other religious beliefs before deciding that if i want to talk or be close to god I should just do this in my own company. I also gave up trying to understand the riddles of the bible. Then i started to study the sumerian and mayan teachings in depth then i had to go out and buy a new bible so i could read it again through my new eyes. and now i read it with the new knowledge and understanding it makes so much more sense and so eerily understood. old and new testament. a right eye opener.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Christianity is about faith. Asking those who have faith in something to prove it is absurd.

Oh faith basically means to believe in something you don't have proof of.

If they had proof of the bible, then they'd be historians probably

edit on 18-2-2011 by primus2012 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join