It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Challenge to Christians: Prove the Bible is True

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I actually have a love of the Bible....as an historical document. It lends insight into how those in far off times, in far off lands lived in the distant past. That they had to pay taxes, and had a control system in place very similar to the control systems we have in place today. It gives insight into the foods they enjoyed eating and the celebrations they considered worthwhile and the troubles they had to deal with on a daily basis.

All Christians will be aware of the Creed of Nicaea (or they should be) and the input of dear old Emperor Constantine re the decision that Jesus should be deemed a deity at a time when the Roman Empire was in decline

All Christians will be aware of the input of Paul/Saul (or they should be) into Christian doctrine (his writings make up circa 40% of the New Testament). They will also be aware of the fact he never met Jesus and was at the core of a schism of the sect with those who had met him and who were horrified at Paul’s teachings.

All Christians will be aware of the Gnostic teaching (or they should be) that are as old as the NT texts, and their cteachings that anyone who claims Jesus is the son of God ‘is a fool’...or why else would he make the distinction of praying to His father in heaven....if he had only one father. That’s what they say.

All Christians will be aware of the fact that Christendom (Europe) was eventually forced to take on board these teachings and that they were not some sudden realization of ‘truth’ but enforced dogma.

My challenge.
Prove to me (with my knowledge of the Bible) that;
1. Jesus is the Messiah craved by the Hebrews as recognised by Christians
2. The first five books of the OT are not simply a means of giving a disparate and genetically diverse people a unifying sense of identity.
3. That the Bible is the word of God.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
the bible was inspired by god. God pretty much wrote the bible. You can't get any more evidence than that. How about YOU prove the bible is false???
edit on 17-2-2011 by fordrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
God told me it was!!!

Oh wait

That was David Koresh's thing...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by fordrew

Let's go back to that note of mine re Constnantine and the people who determined that certain books should be banned from the Bible. Were they guided by God? Or were they guided by Rome's desire to control?

What about James...that would be King James VI of Scotland - my homeland. His was the authorised version. Was he guided by God or the desire for power and control?

edit on 17-2-2011 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
dead horse, beating it, no good will come of this #shakes head#

however I agree, and anyone who has a better explaination than jesus being the 'sun' and the whole passover of the east star thing...makes more sense than some dude speaking to a burning bush, how high was he?!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by fordrew

James wann't a very nice dude. He was a power monger. Prove to me his motivations were saintly.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
First of all please can you elaborate on what you perceive as PROOF, as this is different to each person.
Secondly, yes all christians know the Bible was put together from chosen books but my thoughts are that all the other books that were omitted could also be the word of God. Man made the decisions on which books should be included but I do aknowledge that they may have been guided by him, but that does not mean to say the omitted ones were any less important. Does it?

+1 more 
link   
reply to post by fordrew

the bible was inspired by god. God pretty much wrote the bible.

Actually I can't argue with you...an ideological force that is destructive to human rights and freedom can only be written by a christian god.

Any other god would have written it under a pen-name to save face.

link   
reply to post by pirhanna

Yeah....I know we're always going to come up against 'faith'....but history proves the present bible was the result of human manipulation. I just want to hear how they argue this 'word of God' nonsense yet again. Maybe, just maybe, one day they will hear themselves.

I'm spiritual...believe we are more than flesh and bone....but obviously...religion is man made NOT God given.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I want to wake in the morning and find some truth that will transform me. That's what christianity promises. My challenge? Walk the walk - stop talking the talk.

I know the Bible and it's history well. It's a dare.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66
reply to post by pirhanna

Yeah....I know we're always going to come up against 'faith'....but history proves the present bible was the result of human manipulation. I just want to hear how they argue this 'word of God' nonsense yet again. Maybe, just maybe, one day they will hear themselves.

I'm spiritual...believe we are more than flesh and bone....but obviously...religion is man made NOT God given.

I'm also very spiritual but religion is not right.

I like that there are churches that help people, etc. But overall people need to be educated and religion doesn't let people do that.

Like you said, that bible is a result of human manipulation. The bible doesn't make sense.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by fordrew

I see te christians are starring invalidated comments once again. That 'faith' stuff really is a killer of brain cells.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

A fascinating field...Biblical archeology.
It is a very old tale, the Bible so although everything spoken of in it has not been found, many things have been discovered in or about where they were reported to be thus lending supporting evidence to the recorded history contained in the Bible.

It is a little like saying prove Columbus discovered America.
You really can't do it and yet we are taught it anyway.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I do not entirely discount the message from the bible, but as you may have guessed I have issues with alot of the text, especially the parts I believe we're put there 'recently', not to even mention the books that we're intentionally left out at the original time of compilation, which have now been found and added to the wonderful thing we call the internet. still waiting for the one that explains the giants and the fallen angels...

ed: I find it epically ironic also that they decided to leave the part in where it clearly says 'never ever change this document or so help me i'll come down there and tear you a new one' but less obviously, more biblical...i'm sure someone knows which scene I am refering to.
edit on 17-2-2011 by madscientistintraining because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by danielsil18

Best chusrch I've found is the salvation army - they try to practically help he helpless. That is helpful - unlike most of the dogma of christianity. The jews think its crazy for goodness sake...doesn't that tell them somethng?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

its threads like this that keep new people comming in...thanks for the hate session.....i will pass

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

reply to post by fordrew

I see te christians are starring invalidated comments once again. That 'faith' stuff really is a killer of brain cells.

Huh? I think we need a tri-age unit here right away....brain cells are dying. Oh my...too late.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

3. That the Bible is the word of God.

Really, you're asking for proof of this? I want what you're smoking.

It's faith pal, take it or leave it.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by madscientistintraining

I just want one christian to come forward with just one persuasive argument. They can't use the Bible on me - I know the why's and whens of its origins. Qhestion is, do they> I think not.

A straight up challenge.

Convert me.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
You got to have faith

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join