It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Map Of World Alcohol Consumption

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Thought this was pretty cool for some perspective of the "spirited" regions.

THE world drank the equivalent of 6.1 litres of pure alcohol per person in 2005, according to a report from the World Health Organisation published on February 11th. The biggest boozers are mostly found in Europe and in the former Soviet states. Moldovans are the most bibulous, getting through 18.2 litres each, nearly 2 litres more than the Czechs in second place. Over 10 litres of a Moldovan's annual intake is reckoned to be 'unrecorded' home-brewed liquor, making it particularly harmful to health. Such moonshine accounts for almost 30% of the world's drinking. The WHO estimates that alcohol results in 2.5m deaths a year, more than AIDS or tuberculosis. In Russia and its former satellite states one in five male deaths is caused by drink.

www.economist.com...
Interesting how the entire Northern America region is the same. I figured there may be some differences within the US too, but maybe it doesn't break it down that far.

Peace,
spec
edit on 17-2-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: spelling

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
How is Newfoundland not maxed out on red?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Since I see that Canada is 7.5 -9.99 litres per person and since I know that a 1 litre bottle of wine last months in our house. I can honestly say it's not me contributing to that total.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

IDK, I've been to Moldova and I was able to keep up quite nicely with the locals...and I am from the US of A...

Funny to hear them mentioned, however. For all things to be known for! I suppose when you are the poorest country in Europe, you have to drink yourself stupid to cope?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Maybe that's whats wrong with the ME.
Hey!
Elbows up over there!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

I knew my #n country uk would be one of the highest

Just like we have a high /highest teenage pregnancy rate in Europe . which imo is not helped by drink

Great thread friend !

Have you seen the map that shows freedom of press index ? Interesting too .
S&F .

edit on 17-2-2011 by Doomzilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Oh noes I am in the red binge Britania side..
tho I suspect I let the side down since I go months between binges..

ETA: here is a little tit bit from the UK, when going to my sons sports day the school was the one selling the booze to the parents.. made for a very chilled out day tho

edit on 17/2/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

For all things to be known for! I suppose when you are the poorest country in Europe, you have to drink yourself stupid to cope?

I would imagine this could be true in general with poor and oppressed people. Errm, I have spent some time myself in downandoutsville with a friend named cheap beer.
Cheers to a change for the better

spec

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

May the you find moderation and good health, and when you find moderation, send it my way because I am not quite balanced the way I would like to be.....yet

Thanks for the reply Slayer

spec

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Does this map offer evidence that the 3rd world would be much better off if it drank more? Is it possible that Africa and the middle east just need to lighten up and knock back a few? I think so.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

the school was the one selling the booze to the parents.. made for a very chilled out day tho

Was it a college or high school? I could see it creating a chill atmosphere in some places, but some places it might not be a good idea, like Texas!
Alcohol, intensity and pride over sports often result in parents brawlin in the bleachers down there. I have seen this numerous times, at other's games as well as my own.
Now that I am thinking about it I wonder what would happen if wine coolers and beer was sold to soccer moms at games, would they beat on each other as they so often do here, or would they chill and have a more enriching and relaxing time?
Either way, the old middle path may apply here, in terms of moderation is best. If one's substance choice either harms their health in a chronic way, or disables their ability to mange their own lives, then may they find some help, because it's tough, especially enduring such dire times economically.

Thanks for replying
Spec

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by choppedbrisket

Is it possible that Africa and the middle east just need to lighten up and knock back a few? I think so.

And then there is that angle

I think there is value in that notion, but in a more general sense that people, IMHO,are better people if they can relax, be social and expand their consciousness a bit. Arguably faith or meditation practice could bring this experience, but hey don't forget about personal freedom and those of us who enjoy a little substance for our unwinding, whether it's beer, whiskey, wine, herbs or even toad-lickin', if one is so inclined. I do think it is good for a group/society too, but it has to be managed by that society too. I think, as an opinion I would rather live in an area where adults could enjoy the benefits of prescribing themselves a little break.

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Maybe that's whats wrong with the ME.
Hey!
Elbows up over there!

Yeah darn savage Muslims..
They don't drink or sleep around..
Heck, usury is even against their religion..

How do they expect to become westernized with that attitude??

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
very strange that japan is not bright red given their considerable daily consumption !

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Litres per person a what? Year?

You're all soft, it would make sense if it were a week.
edit on 18-2-2011 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Its pretty misleading though cos i know a lot of people here in the UK who dont drink...i hate statistics. Its a pity you cant zoom in super close, as in to my house because it would be Green...i hate drinking..i dont see the point in it!

Still, it is quite a good map!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
reply to post by thoughtsfull

the school was the one selling the booze to the parents.. made for a very chilled out day tho

Was it a college or high school? I could see it creating a chill atmosphere in some places, but some places it might not be a good idea, like Texas!
Alcohol, intensity and pride over sports often result in parents brawlin in the bleachers down there. I have seen this numerous times, at other's games as well as my own.
Now that I am thinking about it I wonder what would happen if wine coolers and beer was sold to soccer moms at games, would they beat on each other as they so often do here, or would they chill and have a more enriching and relaxing time?
Either way, the old middle path may apply here, in terms of moderation is best. If one's substance choice either harms their health in a chronic way, or disables their ability to mange their own lives, then may they find some help, because it's tough, especially enduring such dire times economically.

Thanks for replying
Spec

I'll be honest, it was really relaxing and chilled, nice hot summers day (we do have some of those sometimes in England
) and everything in moderation, which was good as the Children where 4-13 age group..

The school made a fortune selling Pimms and Strawberries to the mums and chilled beers for us Dads.. made bonding with the other parents easier
moderation made it fun..
edit on 18/2/11 by thoughtsfull because: move a bracket

top topics

join