It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan resident charged with 20-year felony for singing sex song

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

You know what? The jails are full of young people who displayed a lack of judgment. Why so much pity for this particular one?

I dont feel sorry for the guy. He is an egomanic, and even after he knew he was in trouble his eyes lit up like stars when he talked about how many hits his video might get. Its more than a lack of judgment. Its a willingness to use anyone, lie, manipulate, and offend, whatever it takes, to get ahead in the world.

Quite frankly we have enough people like him causing trouble in this country. We call them politicians. I dont care if he rots in jail. He doesnt seem like he has that much value to add to society, it seems like his only concern is his self. Save your sympathy for someone whos lack of judgment wasnt actually total self interest and willingness to use anyone and anything to get ahead.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead
It was in poor taste and the guy is a dummy for not realizing it might piss people off. I am sure I would not be happy if my kid was in the video. The punishment is way over the top though. It was just a poorly thought out joke and this young man should not have to spend time in jail for making a mistake.

I think a pubic apology and maybe some community service would be enough.

yes, a "darwinian" fine too!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers

According to the law in Michigan, a video of that SouthPark episode might be illegal to own. As well as some episodes of Robot Chicken.. such as the one where the nerdy kid dreams up a unicorn.

I do remember that episode of Robot Chicken...
Thing is...some people in today's society are a little tightly wound.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Cartoon kids don't have real families with real feelings do they? So who cares if Chef sings to fake kids. I don't think you can compare a South Park episode with this situation. I can tell you that as a father I would have a problem with what he did if my kid was in the video.

Yes, cartoon kids don't have real families with feelings. My apologies if you feel that I am "comparing" South Park with this situation, it was the intention of "comedy" that was being compared. Did you miss where I posted wondering if the Parents of these kids asked their children "what happened?" Do you think that communication between those involved would come to a logical end?

In situations like this, the only ones that know who these kids are, are people that know the parents...friends and family and such. The kids will basically just forget it...it is the parents that make it into what it becomes, feeling that they have to explain to everybody and his brother the "whys" in connection to this episode.

The video is off You Tube. The kid is in jail. The law, in this case is over the top. That basically is all I was saying.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

You know what? The jails are full of young people who displayed a lack of judgment. Why so much pity for this particular one?

I dont feel sorry for the guy. He is an egomanic, and even after he knew he was in trouble his eyes lit up like stars when he talked about how many hits his video might get. Its more than a lack of judgment. Its a willingness to use anyone, lie, manipulate, and offend, whatever it takes, to get ahead in the world.

Quite frankly we have enough people like him causing trouble in this country. We call them politicians. I dont care if he rots in jail. He doesnt seem like he has that much value to add to society, it seems like his only concern is his self. Save your sympathy for someone whos lack of judgment wasnt actually total self interest and willingness to use anyone and anything to get ahead.

You are right...jails are full of people, young and old that display lack of judgment...but punishments should fit the crime, so to say. Making examples of people is not going to keep it from happening over and over again.

I do not feel I was showing pity or sympathy for the kid...only replying to a posted thread, just as you are. It is your contention that the kid is an "ego maniac with no value to add to society that should rot in jail" , and you got all this from a stranger that you do not personally know from a news soundbite? He may be self serving, as you have stated from your observations...but then again...the same society that wishes to condemn him is the same society that taught him how to be what he is becoming...right?

Thank you for your opinion...like me you are only saying what you will, just as I was.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Lol. Sorry if I sounded harsh.

I agree punishment should fit the crime. I was just pointing out that what motivates the crime is awfully important too. There was some poor little kid in Florida, ( I think it was Florida) who picked up his little cousin and did some wrestling move and killed her. And he got life with no parole or something ridiculous. He was 12, and he watched pro wrestling. THATS poor judgment. Some dumb kid at 12 playing wrestler is not trying to kill someone. Its an accident caused by poor judgment.

This guy, like I said, showed no remorse, didnt mind lying, manipulating, using people. He just cared about himself. Even after he knew he was getting in trouble, he was still only focused on whether or not he would get famous. To me, thats not poor judgment. Thats pathology. Just because no one died doest make me feel sorry for him. He wont get 20 years, but if he did, I sure would not miss him in society. A lot of our problems are caused by people like him for whom the end justifies the means.

You are, as you say, entitled to feel any way you like, and I apologize if I made it sound otherwise. I just dont understand why people feel so sorry for someone so Machiavellian. He could have cost people their jobs in that school, with his prank, and I just dont think he would have cared in the least if he ended up the next Justin Bieber.

Edit to add, And no, I didnt get that he is an self serving ego maniac from a third party source. I got it from watching his interview. From him. And from the factual circumstances of the case. That he admitted to. Like lying to the people at the school.

edit on 17-2-2011 by Illusionsaregrander because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Anyone ever watch Reno 911?

They did a bunch of scenes like this, involving drugs and sex...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

I wonder if that airs in Michigan. If I were the jerky guys defense lawyer, I do believe I might introduce it into evidence if it does.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

To be honest I don't care if that guy goes in for 20 years because he is an idiot. This was inappropriate because he was trying to get fame off of the children unblurred faces. This guy is a weirdo. You wouldn't catch me doing a stupid stunt like that.

Lol, key word... catch... No, jk.

edit on 17-2-2011 by canofnothing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Reading the story and watching the video reminded me of this Monty Python sketch.
Sorry, I'm trying to inbed the video.... ATS asks for a "youtube number" and I don't know which one that is. Apologies from a noob

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
If anyone should be brought up on charges then it should be producers in Hollywood. The video in question was dubbed. No children were present when the questionable lyrics were performed. The authorities know this and still they're arresting him and charging him with a crime that may ruin his life forever.

What about this one scene from 'Death to Smocchy?'

Why aren't charges being brought against Robin Williams? Don't make sense to me.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   

It was in poor taste and the guy is a dummy for not realizing it might piss people off. I am sure I would not be happy if my kid was in the video. The punishment is way over the top though. It was just a poorly thought out joke and this young man should not have to spend time in jail for making a mistake.

I think a pubic apology and maybe some community service would be enough.

Yes a pubic apology should suffice for said crime, it would be quite ironic and thus somewhat justified as it would be in the same taste as the offenders actions. Anything beyond an apology with the use of pubic material is excessive and ridiculous in my opinion.
edit on 18-2-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by sixswornsermon

It may not be a crime in the normal sense of the word,but involving children in adult activities is wrong any way you look at it.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TWILITE22

Actually, it is a crime.

And I agree also with you. Extremely bad taste and judgement.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
BRASS EYE: Pedophile Special

Cutting edge comedy at its finiest and far more provactive than this guys clever edited skit.

people need to get a sense of humour.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join