It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rising seas threaten 180 U.S. cities by 2100: study

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by bigyin

What is the purpose of threads like this? Do you just enjoy pissing off people?

You can use the "cooling" all that you want as a way to debunk AGW but the reality is, AGW includes extreme weather patterns, which means extreme cool-downs AND heat waves.

Not sure what you mean. I didn't start the thread. I made a post.

If anybody is pissed off thats too bad I guess but probably it means my question is inconvenient as they say.

I don't know what the point of your post is.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

lol AGW apparently includes everything that happens in the weather regardless of what the AGW loons say.
Decades ago: It's global freezing. What hapend? warmth.
A few years ago: It's global warming. What happend? cold.

Now: It's global weather changing. What's been happening since this planet came into existence? Global weather change!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by Clavicula

Wrong again, this has already been covered in my first post.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Global sea level rose by about 120 meters during the several millennia that followed the end of the last ice age (approximately 21,000 years ago), and stabilized between 3,000 and 2,000 years ago. Sea level indicators suggest that global sea level did not change significantly from then until the late 19th century when the instrumental record of sea level change shows evidence for an onset of sea level rise. Estimates for the 20th century show that global average sea level rose at a rate of about 1.7 millimeters per year. Satellite altimetry observations, available since the early 1990s, provide more accurate sea level data with nearly global coverage and indicate that since 1993 sea level has been rising at a rate of about 3 millimeters per year.

Antarctica and Greenland, the world's largest ice sheets, make up the vast majority of the Earth's ice. If these ice sheets melted entirely, sea level would rise by more than 70 meters.

And how long has satellite altimetry been available for accurate measurements of sea level change? The truth of the matter is that "estimates" from before the satellite era is highly unreliable compared with the current level of accuracy. The melting of the ice at Greenland or Antarctica is nowhere near fast enough to cause the sea level rise by 2100 described in the article. The article also mentions a highly speculative 8 degree celsius temperature rise from now to 2100 which is based on pure speculation.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Clavicula

"Based on current trends any global inundation is not in the books."

I don't think anybody here is saying there would be a "global inundation". The OP asked some basic questions and for others opinions about Coastal cities possibly being flooded. Many [Not All] but many of which are either at sea level currently or just a foot or two above it.

There is something called tides. Tidal changes trumps slow sea level rise on shorter time intervals. Annual and tidal changes are an order of magnitude larger than the rise of sea level of the last century. If the cities you are referring to would have any problems with the changes in sea level toward the end of this century they would have problems every time there is a high tide.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join