It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rising seas threaten 180 U.S. cities by 2100: study

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I have a wee question for the agw pushers.

Suppose over the next few years the data does not show rising sea levels, and as some are suggesting that there is a period of global cooling.

What do you guys do ?

Do you reverse everything and try and warm the place up again, pump carbon into the atmosphere, pay people to burn fuel, fine I mean tax people who refuse to pollute the air.

Or will that day never get here because you are so entrenched in your positions you would rather jump off a bridge than admit you were wrong.

I can't prove anything but my gut tells me there are bigger forces than us out there. Sea levels have been going up and down since time began. Nothing we do is gonna make any difference.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by quackers
reply to post by Jinglelord

Its about 200-250 feet. Now we just have to calculate the probability of all the ice melting.

I've seen this number, I just question exactly how it was determined. I have always assumed anyone sitting down to calculate this number would be doing so specifically to cause a stir and get people all to rally behind their cause. I wonder if they just omitted certain variables or used the appropriate total volumes and surface area of the oceans or took some liberties to prove a point.

To get a real number you would need to know the surface area to depth ratio of the ocean, you would need to know the exact mass that the melted ice would consume, you would need to know exactly how much of the glaciers are already below sea level, and then to top it all off you would need to be able to compensate for how the land masses beneath the ice shelves will behave, how much water they might absorb if permafrost was to thaw etc etc.

As far as calculating the chances of a complete thaw over time: This isn't even possible with the number of variables we have to deal with here.

On a side note Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle, and Michael Flynn wrote a fantastic book on the subject called "Fallen Angels". Its older but an excellent read. Their premise was essentially the Global warming Hype went out of control and with the achieved 0 emissions an ice age showed up and the "Greens" couldn't stop the madness. They did a fantastic job of highlighting human natures special ability to get something in their head and just never stop... Kinda like whats going on here in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

I can't prove anything but my gut tells me there are bigger forces than us out there. Sea levels have been going up and down since time began. Nothing we do is gonna make any difference.

This excellent summation fits AGW as well as people who see tidal changes and say the ocean's deeper.

The pure stupid hubris of the religion is summed up by Phil Jones when he says, essentially, "We don't know what is changing climate, so it must be us!

deny ignorance
jw

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
Islands are disappearing.

news.mongabay.com... Carteret Islands are almost invisible on a map of the South Pacific, but the horseshoe scattering of atolls is on the front-line of climate change, as rising sea levels and storm surges eat away at their existence.

For 20 years, the 2,000 islanders have fought a losing battle against the ocean, building sea walls and trying to plant mangroves. Each year, the waves surge in, destroying vegetable gardens, washing away homes and poisoning freshwater supplies.

Great Barrier Reef Australia
Rising sea levels will not only displace human populations -- coral reefs are expected to be impacted by changes in ocean levels and temperatures. The communities that depend upon these marine resources will be affected as well. Photo by R. Butler
Papua New Guinea's Carteret islanders are destined to become some of the world's first climate change refugees. Their islands are becoming uninhabitable, and may disappear below the waves.

You can crunch the numbers all you want, but the documented proof of Islands starting to sink under the waves clearly demonstrates that ocean levels are rising. This is happening around the globe.

You guys talking about this? "Islands capsizing because too many people hanging ten off the same side of the island??

See he's a "concerned" environmentalist..( elected official) Got to give the admiral points he maintained his military bearing throughout..
edit on 17-2-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Lol... By early 2013 there won't be US cities on Earth, or any, for that matter...

We are at the end of a galactic cycle, that modern researchers don't know # about, which means this planet is breaching a dimensional barrier and about to transform into a star...

and that's the raw story baby.

edit on 17-2-2011 by Mayura because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
You want to talk about religion, you people who choose the vast amount of evidence demonstrating that we are going through a global warming period would be the same people clinging to the notion that the world was flat after Columbus discovered America.

You have yet to provide a link with a quote to back up your claims.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

So, instead of dis-proving their theories and opinion you just basically call them idiots?

Tell me why their wrong and it would teach me something otherwise you are just a troll.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

So, instead of dis-proving their theories and opinion you just basically call them idiots?

Tell me why their wrong and it would teach me something otherwise you are just a troll.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

we will al be gone by then so who cares

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Sorry, after working with statistics for a living for the past 4 years then no data statistical report will hold any legitimacy with me unless i can see the raw unprocessed data.
Especially when the matter is concerning this with such large room for biased reports.
It is just waay too easy to make a report show anything you like!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
This is just desperate scientists, trying desperately to get more funds. That's how all of this bad science got started down this descent.

The truth is, Artic and Antartic sea ice levels are INCREASING. Artic Sea Ice depth and cover is increasing. Glaciers are growing around the world, thousands of snow and cold records are being broken year over year. The planet has been cooling globally for nearly 10 years now...

Most legitimate scientists recognize our current place in the earths natural cycle to be in the downward (cooling) end.

You guys should remember that the planet is normally in a glacial state. We are living in a luxurious time right now, interglacial stages of the earth are relatively brief.

*note* Much of the proported heating of the seas is being caused by massive increases in underwater vent activity and underwater volcanic ranges. This is also part of a cooling cycle.

edit on 18-2-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Sea levels are currently calculated, via satellite measurement, to rise at about 3mm/year. Which is the same trend that has been ongoing since the end of the little ice age. In the last couple of years it has in fact slowed down somewhat due to a current cooling trend of the oceans. Extrapolating the current trend to 2100 and you get about 30 cm (about a foot) of sea level rise. Based on current trends any global inundation is not in the books.

Good scare mongering though, scaring people to give up their money to a government that promise to save us from our wasteful ways,

edit on 18-2-2011 by Clavicula because: rephrase

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin
I have a wee question for the agw pushers.

Suppose over the next few years the data does not show rising sea levels, and as some are suggesting that there is a period of global cooling.

What do you guys do ?

They already have a backup scare in place it's called "ocean acidification". Then they will pretend they never believed in that global warming theory anyway. Or they will move the predictions of doom way out into the future so no one can verify their claims with empirical data.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Don't worry. Living abroad as a Dutchman, people always tease me by saying that my country, of which a significant part sits below sea level, will be swallowed by the sea in the future. It seems that we, the Dutch, are the among the minority that feels very safe. After Hurricane Katrina a group of US delegates came over to see our sea barriers and I believe a couple of Dutch companies were hired to help New Orleans constructing its very own barriers and I'm sure our expertise will be used elsewhere in the US and abroad too.

Have a look on the way we deal with rising seas:

Part 1/5

Part 2/5

The other three parts are to be watched on youtube.
edit on 18-2-2011 by Mdv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Clavicula

"Based on current trends any global inundation is not in the books."

I don't think anybody here is saying there would be a "global inundation". The OP asked some basic questions and for others opinions about Coastal cities possibly being flooded. Many [Not All] but many of which are either at sea level currently or just a foot or two above it.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Clavicula

Wrong again, this has already been covered in my first post.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Global sea level rose by about 120 meters during the several millennia that followed the end of the last ice age (approximately 21,000 years ago), and stabilized between 3,000 and 2,000 years ago. Sea level indicators suggest that global sea level did not change significantly from then until the late 19th century when the instrumental record of sea level change shows evidence for an onset of sea level rise. Estimates for the 20th century show that global average sea level rose at a rate of about 1.7 millimeters per year. Satellite altimetry observations, available since the early 1990s, provide more accurate sea level data with nearly global coverage and indicate that since 1993 sea level has been rising at a rate of about 3 millimeters per year.

Antarctica and Greenland, the world's largest ice sheets, make up the vast majority of the Earth's ice. If these ice sheets melted entirely, sea level would rise by more than 70 meters.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Ahh...but it's not occuring naturally is it? And nobody has mentioned the huge part played by the oil/gas companies whereby they discharge trillions of gallons per year of saline water into the oceans!
This is called 'produced water' and is brought up from deep underground along with the oil/gas.Oil/gas then extracted & waste water then discharged - making it surface water as opposed to encapsulated underground water.
This has GOT to make a difference to sea levels.
Here in Britain the effect of rising seas is very much apparent by the ever increasing erosion on many parts of our coast line.

By the way I'm a new member - first post.....spelllingg probbablie knot that goodd!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mithra

The entire coast of Britain has been shaped by coastal erosion for thousands of years. It's nothing new and nothing to do with rising sea levels.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Is this at all related??

Extreme high tides have flooded parts of the low-lying Marshall Islands capital Majuro with a warning Sunday of worse to come because of rising sea levels. Several areas of the city were flooded Saturday and forecasters predicted more to come on Sunday evening before the current high tide levels ease. Flooding of the Marshall Islands atolls, many of which rise less than a metre (three feet) above sea level, will increase in "frequency and magnitude" in the coming years, University of Hawaii marine researcher Murray Ford said. Dr Ford, who is studying rising sea levels in the Marshall islands, said the weekend's extreme tides of 1.67 metres were exacerbated by La Nina, a weather phenomenon that has caused the base sea level to rise by 15 centimetres in recent months. "As the sea level is temporarily higher as a result of La Nina and overlies long-term sea level rise, the impacts are magnified," Dr Ford said. "While these events happen only a handful of times a year at present they will continue to increase in both frequency and magnitude." Dr Ford said a gauge measuring long-term sea level changes at Majuro indicated the "average sea level is more than six inches above predicted" levels. The Marshall Islands, a collection of coral atolls and islands, announced plans late last year to build a wall to hold back rising sea levels around Majuro which is home to nearly half of the country's 55,000 population. Overcrowding in the urban centre have forced people to build homes within a couple of metres of the shore, increasing their exposure to flooding during peak tide periods.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

What is the purpose of threads like this? Do you just enjoy pissing off people?

You can use the "cooling" all that you want as a way to debunk AGW but the reality is, AGW includes extreme weather patterns, which means extreme cool-downs AND heat waves.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join