It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin Democrats Leave State, Avoid Vote

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
You know what, that's fine, the government needs to then enact some sort of rule for the future that voting will take place with those present and pass/fail based on the ratio or number of present members, because avoiding work is b.s.

While I agree with you assessment of there tactic I would be loath to support the idea of voting with just those present as this is how we ended up with the federal reserve. Congress waited till like 10pm to call a vote and they never remembered to tell anyone who would vote against it that the vote was happening.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

Huh, well doesn't that just put an ugly wrinkle in my crisp little plan.

There has to be something that can be done to ensure our representatives actually go and represent us. However, secretive voting is another issue. Well, I've had a schedule for every job I've ever had. Just an example, votes occur on Mondays and Fridays from 10-2, with times blocked out for special causes or cases (reserve dates and times if the need arises in emergency situations or the good old girl scout phone tree
)

Also, include a special little clause that if proper and timely notification was not provided or if even one rep says they were not told of the vote, then it must be redone and the previous outcome void. If a person willingly of their own decision decides not to participate they can have a neat little form or submit a letter explaining why they chose to not do their job submitted for the record and the constituents can read why their rep felt they were not required to go to work that day.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

I like the idea, but our current rulers would never submit to that kind of oversight and accountability.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Do it this way

Each vote has to be announced at least 48 hours in advance, all members must be notified and the notification should include some sort of proof of reciept. Then if you don't show up it's your proplem.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

Fair enough.

How shall we inform the great state of WI of our decision?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Since I don't live there I can make a suggestion but someone in the state would need to propose it to there representatives and then the state constitution would need to be ammended using whatever process they have in place for that.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by exile1981

Since I don't live there I can make a suggestion but someone in the state would need to propose it to there representatives and then the state constitution would need to be ammended using whatever process they have in place for that.

neither do I, foiled again

I do go there about once a year, so perhaps I can make the suggestion to someone.

I don't know, perhaps the coverage is particularly one sided, but it seems there are sure are a lot of angry of people over the potential passage of the law and I have not heard of anyone excited about it other than the governor.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Of course calling out the state police costs money. It costs a fair bit of money. It's as you say - this isn't about fixing the budget, this is about savaging worker's rights.

All you Wisconsinites on this thread, you need to think long and hard. You're about to turn your entire state into Detroit, because the same people who have bankrupted the nation are now telling you that YOU'RE the reason Wisconsin isn't doing so hot. Union-busting is of no benefit to any of you, and is directly harmful to a great many of you.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
The Republican Governor and Legislators are exploiting an economic and budgetary crisis to political ends in order to get rid of collective bargaining, which is what they have always wanted to do. It's kind of hypocritical to feign outrage when the Democratic legislators use political tactics to save it. And if budgets are so tight, why waste precious resources by calling out the State Police. Doesn't that cost money?

All it says to me is that it's business as usual. The ship is going down and they're killing each other over life rafts while the people drown.

Well, it sure is a good thing the Democrats never exploit a crisis in order to achieve a political end. Oh wait, that's right, "Never let a good crisis go to waste." Who was it that said that? Reagan? Bush? Gingrich? I forget...
Mr. Pot I'd like to you to meet Mr. Kettle!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dwigt
reply to post by herenow

There are many more of us Wisconsin folk who are happy with the job our elected officials are finally doing. You just hear about the big stink that a few are making. It was the democrats that were in office for so long that put us in this budget mess to begin with.

Put Wisconsin in this budget mess?

host.madison.com...

According to the link (and a Fiscal Bureau memo), the state had handled the economic downturn much better than other states, and was even on track to report a surplus ($121.4 million). Walker's bill to spend $140 million on special-interest groups did not help this supposed "deficit" that Walker is trying to overcome.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

If the democrats are absent for 3 days,
are they automatically terminated like we would be if we didnt show up for work?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

Now the democrats are going to stay away for weeks if need be....they should lose their pay and be fired just like anyone else who refuses to do the job they were hired to do...

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by rangersdad

I'm continually amazed by how much so many Americans enjoy privation. Really, do you even have the vaguest inkling of what's going on here, or are you just in a mindless frenzy about how terrible and evil Democrats are for, y'know, doing what they can to protect your rights as a worker?

Self-mutilation and attempted suicide is generally regarded as a desperate plea for help. And it looks like the American middle class is showing all the tendencies.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
All I know is that if I didn't show-up for work, there wouldn't be a job for me to go to anymore. No more paycheck, and certainly no vacation time. Most likely I would end-up with a bad reference as well.

my 2 cents = fire them and save the state some money, I'm sure there are people that would gladly do their job for half the wages.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by rangersdad
reply to post by Mapkar

Now the democrats are going to stay away for weeks if need be....they should lose their pay and be fired just like anyone else who refuses to do the job they were hired to do...

news.yahoo.com...

It sounds like job abandonment to me.
Do they want their paychecks mailed to Illinois?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ffman

I hope by now you realize that your argument is false. Another attempt to twist the facts by the liberal media. Do you really believe that we had a surplus in this economic environment?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Dwigt

I have seen this argument (WI having a surplus prior to tax breaks) on the interviews with the unions. Do you have info indicting this is untrue? True the fact that we are in a national recession however some states are fairing better than others, and I personally have not seen the actual numbers from WI.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I thought this was interesting.

Wisconsin legislators aren't the first to walk out, leave town

(CNN) -- This week's bitter budget showdown in Wisconsin isn't the first time state legislators have fled a state, left a building or refused to show when votes were called.

The "Killer Ds" and the "Texas 11," for example, skedaddled from Texas in 2003 to prevent consideration of a redistricting bill.

In 1839, a young Abraham Lincoln, serving as a Whig in the Illinois House, jumped out of the building in a futile bid to prevent Democrats from getting a quorum to vote on a banks bill.

Members of the 1891 Florida Senate went to Georgia in a bid to prevent a quorum for the election of a U.S. senator.

And in 1994, Republican members of the California Assembly refused to show up for floor sessions in an effort to prevent Democrats from electing Willie Brown as speaker with less than a majority vote.

Nothing all that new here

They might possibly stay away for weeks.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Simple, they are cowards and children.
Won't face what's coming and refuse to play because they don't like the rules.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

They lost the election.
The people of Wisconsin have spoken.
The liberals didn't like what they have said so.........run to Illinois!
Also, commit fraud by handing out bogus sick notes to the teachers who have abandoned their jobs so
they can jump up and down at a rally for days and days.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join