It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Noam Chomsky - “Democracy Uprising” in the U.S.A.?: Wisconsin’s Resistance to Assault on Publi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Dear ATS.

You've seen all the signs that the US government knew this day was coming soon -

1) Creation of Flase Flag events including 9/11 to foster an orwellian climate of fear and paranoia.
2) Economic slavery & manipulation.
3) The creation of FEMA camps to contain the rebels.
4) Clamp down on militia's and other paramilitary organisations.
5) Homeland Security (Gestapo) establishment encroaching on all normal aspects of American life.
6) The list goes on and on.

Now see the spark that could ignite the fuse on the bomb of anti-capitalist, anti-corruption, anti-bigotry sentiment in the United States. The government should leave the little peoples' unions alone, lest the people fight back, and take back more than just their employment rights!!!

World-renowned public intellectual Noam Chomsky discusses several domestic issues in the United States, including the protests in defense of public sector employees and unions in Wisconsin, how the U.S. deification of former President Ronald Reagan resembles North Korea, and the crackdown on political activists with anti-terror laws and FBI raids.

Noam Chomsky on Democracy Now!

Start the fight my American friends - there's some ass whoopin' to do!

The Revenant.
edit on 17-2-2011 by The Revenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by The Revenant

Chomsky is confusing the value and purpose of private sector unions with that of public sector unions.

Public sector unions are ridiculous on their face simply because the employer they work for is not constrained by profit margins.

Private sector unions are good if they are entirely voluntary. For example, if all of a corporation's workers decide to strike, they should be allowed to. However, the corporation should also be allowed to fire all of them and replace them and the workers should never be allowed to interrupt or destroy the corporation's property.

Both private and public sector unions today are neither voluntary nor good, and the governor is absolutely right in his efforts to dismantle them.

edit on 17-2-2011 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
You do realize he is a self described "far left", "anarcist" and "anti-zionist" right? I read the article and he seems to confuse the whole point of why these people are protesting, it's a wage freeze. He tries to suggest that the gov't shouldn't be allowing private bussinesses to give multi million dollar wages to corporate heads while freezing wages for governemnt employees.

As a tax payer I can say I don't want to pay more taxes, I can push for the gov't to cut back on services I don't agree with and I can suggest that the staff who provide/supervise and or distribute those services should be cut back if the service is stopped. That is how government works. The government can do all of that if enough citizens come forward and say we don't want to fund X and if they refuse the people can vote in a gov't that will or reversely the people can vote out a gov't that does that if the people didn't want it.

As an individual if I disagree with a business providing huge amounts of cash to the top person I can choose to not do business with them. If I'm a share holder I can vote with my shares to decrease the wages. The government can not dictate maximum wages in the private sector, that's call communism and is what we'd like to avoid becoming.
edit on 17-2-2011 by exile1981 because: spelling

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

Both private and public sector unions today are neither voluntary nor good, and the governor is absolutely right in his efforts to dismantle them.

edit on 17-2-2011 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

Public sector unions seem to not understand that money to meet there demands has to come from taxes and that if the tax base shrinks then cuts have to be made.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I say unions are good the only reason you disagree is you have to pay taxes, It is the unions fault that the government mishandles billions of you tax dollars? now we need cut backs because were to stupid to come up for our short comings in mis managment. by saying an employer can fire and hire employees at will leads to unsafe work conditions borderline slavery, etc... thats why unions came into effect to stop human abuses. There are people who think its there right to abuse others, given a little power Ignorance is not bliss!!!

www.abovetopsecret.com...
there is 150 million wonder why they have cut backs point taken
edit on 17-2-2011 by CIGGSofWAR because: addition

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by CIGGSofWAR
I say unions are good the only reason you disagree is you have to pay taxes,

I think you should be more careful, you just shot out your own arguement. I do pay taxes and as such I should have a say. Basicly your statement shows that you believe that paying taxes shouldn't allow me a say?

Department of Education, agriculture, the national labour relations board, all need to be disbanded the employees there need to quickly learn to work for a living.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by exile1981
The government can not dictate maximum wages in the private sector, that's call communism and is what we'd like to avoid becoming.

The government should just have a 99% tax on income over 2 million.
And a 99% inheritance tax on anything over 5 million.
Where wealth is hereditary,power is hereditary. John Locke from the show Lost.
edit on 17-2-2011 by RRokkyy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Waaaaaa .. my gravy train at the taxpayers expense might be over .. now who can i STEAL from

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Billions of tax payers money spent on wars. Billions of tax payers money spent on Bailouts. Tax cuts for the richest citizens. That is what has caused this problem. You should be angry that you're most important social services are the victims of this corruption. Don't blame you're neighbour.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I am not politically educated enough, to argue either side, but I can give person examples.

Midwest USA unions are about as mixed as they can get, some shops are closed "union only" and some are open "employees choice"

I have a limited 2 year trade school engineering/machinist start, an 8000 hour 4 year apprenticeship program graduated in 1991 .."state certified journeyman machinist/toolmaker"

If I join the union it would have taken me close to 10 years to top out in pay scale.
If I do not join the union I top out in about a year, and my scale is not "set" if I do better work than the guy next to me "I got better pay", I think I deserve more $$...makes sense, to me.

But after a few years and the union guys get wind of your salary, or have one of their wives, daughters girlfriends...check your pay scale "someones always got an office wife or insider", it then becomes like a high school game of sabatage, the outsider, and you will get pushed out, set up, fired.

I kept hearing it took me 15 years to get where I am, and your not my equal.

I'm torn, I see were unions have helped many and hurt many too, the ones that seem to benefit IMO are the ones with hardships, 3-4 kids, big mortage, vehicle issues, DUI's...health and insurance problems.

I did not feel like it was my fault that while I was in school then serving an internship..getting certified..etc etc..

While the guy mad at me for doing the same job was in jail, behind on child support, that somehow I owed dues to him, and that senority is the only way to move up, not knowledge or experience...but union pecking order.

Also arouund here if you cross a state line the age limit for union memberships are lower, so many of the guys at the larger shops take their 15 year old boys to KS to join the union, start paying dues, 3 years before applying for a job they alreadty know they will be getting knowing that they have 3 years union senority, over everyother 18 year old applying...it's rather mob like, some are so tight that going to he wrong church can and does affect your future with these companies.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

You and I don't see eye to eye on many issues. On this one though, you got it dead to rights.

Starred and Flagged!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger

You and I don't see eye to eye on many issues. On this one though, you got it dead to rights.

Starred and Flagged!

And they say pluralism is dead? Thank you for proving 'them' wrong.

I really hope that the US government doesn't make the mistake that the British made in the 70's. Unions, especially public sectors ones, can cause an awful lot of trouble.

The Rev.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Noam Chomsky has done a lot to organize all the activities of the US for decades; if nothing else reviewing his work will help sort through the details especially since his best work does a much better job citing sources than the new and history put out by the establishment. Those that call him names that seem derogatory without covering any of the details may not want to cover the details for some reason. One of the biggest problems is that the majority doesn’t have access to as good an education as the upper classes which is one of the things that Chomsky and the Unions want to change.

top topics

join