It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dream Reality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Hey all, I've got myself wondering something new today. I've had my fair share of strange dreams, but I'd like to focus on a very specific experience I've had.

In my dreams, there tends to be an extremely acute sense of reality. In other words, if it would happen physically and in real life, then it will happen in my dream. It had to make sense in order for me to be able to do it. Now, what I'm wondering is how well are other people able to bend reality within their dreams? In a very recent one I had, it was a traditional dream setting (related to my life and desires, etc.), in which I was at a university and was meeting people and making friends, getting to places. I found that I was able to fly if I focused on it enough, but it was a kind of weak flying, as if I was fighting gravity with my mind.

In other dreams I have had to overcome real forces with manipulation from my mind doing things like telekinesis, teleportation, etc. It is always difficult to bend reality, but possible.

On a side not regarding lucid dreaming, I had a humorous experience (to myself). Within a dream, I was doing something, talking to someone, and then the scene shifted and people's behavior changed as it tends to. I thought to myself, "this isn't making any sense. I must be dreaming," and decided to move on past trying to make sense of the moment. It's just the first time I've actively recognized within my dream that I was in a dream. It's almost as if I am constantly lucid dreaming with how I am constantly manipulating them to get good end results.

So, again, can anyone else bend reality in their dreams, and if so, how well?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I tried to control my lucid dreams when I was a around 14 or 16.

I was told one day by a friend, an older friend, he asked me if I wanted to fly.

I was like, what do you mean fly? He said, you know, like Superman, fly in the sky.

He explained to me that if I am able to control my dreams, I will be able to do anything I want. Create my own reality within my own dream world, anything I think of could happen.

I really believed it, and practiced it every night.

Every night before I got to sleep, I did this for 3 weeks straight mind you. It was probably the 2nd week I had my very first semi-controlled dream.

It was very weird, you just keep repeating in your mind before you fall asleep on the bed, that "You're sleeping right now, and you're about to dream soon, you're in a dream, you're in a dream, you're in a dream...."

The first time it happened, I was in a city, at night time. I can't remember the vivid details, since it was many many moons ago. The constant repeat of the same thought in my mind for 2 weeks finally paid off.

I was just standing there in my dream and had a sudden epiphany, like a sudden realization that I am dreaming right now.

Once I realized and accepted that I was in a dream, I looked for the nearest window and leaped out. I don't know why or how I was able to remember to fly like Superman like my friend had suggested. Perhaps subconsciously I was already telling myself that you must fly if you're able to control your dream.

In any case, the moment I fully accepted that this is a dream and not real, I found the nearest window and leaped out. Once I leaped out, I couldn't believe it, I was really flying! I didn't fall immediately to the ground, but started to hover and glide over the city. I couldn't fly up though like Superman, I was more like gliding and hovering down to the ground.

Before I was able to make a successful landing, I was awaken up by my own inner fear. For some reason, I started to think negative thoughts, about monsters and what not and I was getting the distinct feeling that it's going to happen immediately as well. As in whatever the thing I was afraid of the most, is going to come out. The I freaked and awoken abruptly.

Anyway, just my own personal experience in this area. I believe in it because I was able to do it, so I know for a fact that this has to do with mental discipline and surely others can achieve it as well. But I suppose you will need to practice fear control during the waking hours, otherwise if you cannot subconsciously control your worst fears, then I believe during a lucid dream, if you're given control of your dream reality, your worst fears are most likely to manifest themselves without you intentionally allowing it to happen.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
A lot of people seem unable to believe that truly lucid dreaming is really possible but it is and I think it's extremely worthwhile to develop the skill. Although it's not easy there are so many different ways to improve your dream recall, vividness and lucidity that it's never boring.
edit on 17-2-2011 by Arkady because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I used to do it all the time as a kid, I used to fly in my dreams as well but for very short distances, maybe 100 meters and i would come back down and jump and attempt to fly again. I used to dream about having the latest car and i would end up trying to find the keys for the rest of my dream, Or a video game console and i was looking for the games etc. Weird stuff.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Talking about manipulating/ bending conventional rules of physics ..... man, if they had a device to measure it in dreaming stage, mine (ability) would've been in top 10.
Things I can USUALLY do:
Telekinesis
Teleportation
Telepathy
Shooting energy ball out of my hand like "Dragon Balls"
Flying from 15 mph to the speed of light.
Able to breath underwater, outerspace.
Manipulate 5 known elements at will
INVINCIBLE BODY
open dimensional doorways
Think of something and it is materialized

Things I CANNOT do;
eat, read, swim, study, sleep, drink.

Let's me know if you want me to elaborate more on my abilities.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
My dream follows most of the laws of real life. I can read, eat, drink, use the restroom, engage in relations with another person... ahem. It's pretty ridiculous how realistic they can be, and I think I tend to not even care if I'm dreaming while I dream, since it seems that I manipulate them actively. In fact, I know one dream in which I completely pulled off a serious rule-breaking move:

I accidentally got this guy pissed off to an extreme and he was threatening to hurt my friends, so he pulled out a knife and move to stab me. I realized that there was no way I would be able to avoid pain and death, so I stopped time and looked around for anything that I could use to defend myself. When I couldn't find anything, I literally thought to myself "screw it" and telekinesis'd the guy through the wall and smashed him into the ground. Then I turned into a giant tiger to challenge the giant wolf and earn its respect.

I don't mess with the course of my dreams often, but when I do, I always resolve the storyline before doing anything else. Some people enjoy being able to do anything in their dreams. I enjoy finishing the plots.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I had a nightmare once that I was living in a haunted house (Always had it as a kid...not gonna go into details) and I got so freaked out i woke up, I sat there in my bed thinking Thank God it's just a nightmare.......A few seconds later the i see the same ghost walk through the door and the dream continues. A dream within a dream, Inception? lol.

A couple of years ago (12 or so) a friend of mine once claimed to have sat watching TV through out his dream. In the dream he was watched himself and within the TV there was another TV displaying the same image in a continuous pattern.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I once had a pretty good nights sleep, got up and walked to work, arrived, chatted with my coleagues, worked a full day, took a couple of cigarette breaks, had some lunch, did a bit more work, clocked off and started walking home then....BAM! I woke up and It was still 8am on the day I thought had nearly ended and it had actually all been a dream. It was a real pain in the ass, I seriously felt like I lived that day twice.
Probably the most mundane dream I've ever had, literally nothing happened that made me suspect anything was out of the ordinary, just dreamed a totally regular day. Prompted me to start doing new things though.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I've had different phases of abilities to take control of dreams. At times they're very vivid and although I don't normally realize to myself "I'm in a dream", they are usually somewhat lucid. I guess there's just a very big spectrum for me.

I know that auto-suggestion and meditation are really helpful to gain control of your dreams. Another thing would be to record your dreams, or thoughts on dreams, or intentions of your future dreams. All of these things should bring your sub-conscious into a more aware state about you and dreaming.

Dreaming is wonderful, it sounds to me like you've got a good grip on controlling them already.

I feel like dreams can often be an opportunity for us to transport to other realms or dimensions, or into the future or past. Dreaming and recording and discussing dreams should be taught in school along with common sense and sharing.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arkady
I once had a pretty good nights sleep, got up and walked to work, arrived, chatted with my coleagues, worked a full day, took a couple of cigarette breaks, had some lunch, did a bit more work, clocked off and started walking home then....BAM! I woke up and It was still 8am on the day I thought had nearly ended and it had actually all been a dream. It was a real pain in the ass, I seriously felt like I lived that day twice.
Probably the most mundane dream I've ever had, literally nothing happened that made me suspect anything was out of the ordinary, just dreamed a totally regular day. Prompted me to start doing new things though.

This happens to me quite regularly, but not as long into the day. Usually I think I am about an hour into my normal morning routine when I suddenly realise I am in bed!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by geekyone

Sucks doesn't it. Something else that has happened a few times is I'll either need a drink or to go to the bog in the middle of the night, get up and do it then wonder why I'm still thristy/ need to piss when I get back to bed and realize that I actually just dreamt getting out of bed and doing it. Sometimes I'll dream of doing it several times before I actually manage to wake up and do it. I also find that if I nap in the afternoon I'm much more likely to dream about doing whatever I would be doing after I woke up from the nap.
I understand this is called a false awakening and is actually very common, I just think it's interesting that I am clearly so aware of physical sensations like thirst and a full bladder even when I'm dreaming.
You can actually exploit this to improve lucidity by sleepingon your back and putting a light weight on your chest. If you suddenly realize that there's a strange weight on your chest when your 'not' asleep, you know you're not in kansas anymore.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Arkady

I also regularly have dreams where I am in different locations and I am desperate for the loo. I ask people where it is but there is always something wrong like the door won't open or there is no toilet inside. I eventually wake up and realise I need to go. My brain must be telling me that I can't pee cos I'm in bed

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Basically, imagine that we exist multidimensionally. When we are awake, our dream bodies are simultaneously existing in the dream world. When we sleep, we cross to the "other side" and can project our dream bodies from our physical bodies. Aliens that exist on the higher planes can interfere with us when we sleep, especially if they attempt to forcibly remove/detach our dream bodies. Make no mistake, there is a war going on up there, and we fight it in our dreams.

Even as we think, our bodies in the higher mental realms are traversing a complex passageway of systems..
edit on 22-2-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

I completely agree with your awesome description! I feel like the dream state is the easiest for us to be contacted in. It seems far less energy is exerted when we are sleeping, but go elsewhere in dreams. The same may go for other entities.
Time doesn't exist in dreams either, so perhaps that is a bit of an explanation of why people so events from past or future, events they never knew of..

Take on top of that the vulnerability most of us have in the dream world.
I feel it's extremely important for all of us to practice dream recognition and awareness, to protect ourselves and act positively in the dream state.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
i real i am not a good swimmer , i have had many dreams were i am struggling to swim and then find it easier to fly . it is an amazing feeling

top topics

join