It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can't believe people take Dante's Inferno seriously!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
In school, we're reading Dante's Inferno. In case you never heard of it, the gist is that unless you live a perfect life, you go to hell. Reading this book irritates me because I know people have taken this book as gospel in the past, and still do. But this book is utter nonsense! It paints a very negative picture of life that really doesn't benefit anyone except the elite.

It's a perfect example of how religion is a misconception and a control system.

What do you guys think of this book?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I prefer the game.

cj6

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Religion and anything associated with it is BS!! Its all a trap to keep people living in fear. Lead a normal life and you will NOT go to hell...its that simple.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
The deepest hell of 7 or 8 levels is interesting.. When it describes the cold.

cj6

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlanterZ
I prefer the game.

You mean the God of War rip-off?!

I dont think the game has anything to do with the book but i could be wrong.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
What irritates me is that the book (and religion) plays off people's biggest fear, death, in order to get them to be "good little citizens". It's ludicrous!
edit on 17-2-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
It's a piece of poetry inspired by contemporary Florentine beliefs about religion. It's not a work of doctrine or theology (though both inspire and inform it). And the "Inferno" is just the first of the three books in the work.

What do you mean by "taking it seriously"? It was never presented as a work of documentary.
edit on 17-2-2011 by d60944 because: addition of note

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
So basically it's like Groundhog Day movie? Get it right or reincarnate in Pennsylvania until you do get it right. Sounds about right if you think of the USA as a burning pit in Hell. I feel like I've been stuck here for 1000s of years.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
theologically, it's nonsense. the whole concept of satan ruling in hell and the demons tormenting people wi pitchforks is Dante's misinterpreting the Bible.

I've never read it so I can't speak to it's artistic/poetic value.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Some great art work has been inspired by this book, particularly the works of John Martin. Probably the greatest Romantic painter ever!

At least we can say some good has come from it!

farm3.static.flickr.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
That's such a bite off.

The idea came from the ancient Hindu's and perhaps eventually the Chinese.

I mean, the various level of hell.

A good movie to watch on this is called "Double Vision". It was a HK film with a good American actor in it, I forget his name though.

Yeah so like when you die, depending on what you did, you go to various level of hell. If I'm not remembering it wrong, I remember the older folks always scare the little kids talking about the "18 levels of Hell". Each level is unique and each level has it's own way of forever torment. Like, one level, they put you in a boiling pot and keep boiling you alive, forever...

Yeah it's some pretty heavy gloomy stuff, I really admire the human imagination sometimes.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

It's a piece of allegorical literature in which Dante basically roasts individuals which he has some major problems with in a hell of his own making. It's literature, not religion.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlanterZ
I prefer the game.

Myself as well. Totally underrated and did not gather the acclaim it deserves. What other game has unbaptised babies with blades for arms? Pure fun!

As for people living as if the story is gospel...............they're insane. Case closed.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

It is more an allegory for the politics of the day. If you don't understand the references he makes it can come off as a treatise on Christian cosmology. However, I know at least the Signet edition has footnotes explaining everything Dante is describing. It's not until Purgatorio and Paradiso that Dante begins to focus more on his philosophical beliefs.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Religion's selling point xD

Deteste this kind of deception with every fibre of your being.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
In school, we're reading Dante's Inferno. In case you never heard of it, the gist is that unless you live a perfect life, you go to hell. Reading this book irritates me because I know people have taken this book as gospel in the past, and still do. But this book is utter nonsense! It paints a very negative picture of life that really doesn't benefit anyone except the elite.

It's a perfect example of how religion is a misconception and a control system.

What do you guys think of this book?

I'm sorry, why would a well known piece of poetry be taken as gospel for what? It's a story told in verse which doesn't try and paint itself as anything other than that. Are you being taught it as gospel (truth) in school, or as an example of what is actually a very well written poem.

It is of course only the first part of the epic 'The divine comedy'. Are you reading that as a whole in your education? I think if you do, it may surprise you.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Actually, the writings of Dante Alighieri are Kabbalistic.

His works are not meant to be understood by religious fanatics; nor vulgar, profane scholars.

In other words, Dante's writings are meant to be comprehended by Initiates:

Gnostic Kabbalah: The World of Klipoth

"Dante Alighieri, the Great Master, wrote The Divine Comedy for the human beings as a guide to perfection, however when academics study this book they only read it as a work of literature, but it is a guide - they ignore it is a book like the Bible."

Hell, the Devil, and Karma

"Noble gentleman, respectable ladies, allow me to solemnly affirm that The Divine Comedy of Dante Alighieri is an initiatic and esoteric text that very few human beings have understood. The mythological personages cited in that text and that appear as the dwellers of the submerged sphere of Mercury, symbolically represent the living animal passions in such a region.

"The impetuous Achilles with his terrible sexual licentiousness, the adulterous Helen, and the ever libidinous Paris, clearly personify the inhabitants of the tenebrous zone of Mercury. However, I want just to mention one of these personages in particular, who is Helen kidnapped by Paris. Helen, the cause of so many maladies in ancient times, has other positive symbolisms, which are more beautiful.

"Yet, I do not want to talk about her positive symbols in these moments. Right now, let us look at Helen only in her abysmal aspect, the antithesis of her resplendent aspect, that is, her tenebrous Mercurial phase.

"Ladies and gentlemen, remember that each symbol can be interpreted in seven different manners." - Samael Aun Weor

edit on 18-2-2011 by Tamahu because: wording

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker84

According to the Gnostic Teachings, Dante Alighieri wasn't a mere biter. Just as the Buddha Shakyamuni, for example, with his internal investigations of the infernal worlds found 18 Hells; Dante Alighieri also found the same thing in his internal investigations of the infernal worlds.

"Traditionally, the hells are said to be composed of nine hot hells and nine cold hells." – Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche

In synthesis, we can say there are Nine Klipothic spheres (if we count the cold hells and hot hells together instead of separately) which are the shadow of the Nine Superior Sephiroth of the Tree of Life; with the physical world, Malkuth, in between the the Tree of Life and its fatal antithesis.

Nine Heavenly Sephiroth or Spheres above, and Nine (or Eighteen if we divide them into hot and cold) infernal spheres below.

edit on 18-2-2011 by Tamahu because: edited text

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I never read the literature, but the game is great. I see some of the content has different allusions in it like Cleopatra and other real figures..

If the literature is anything like the game, then it is definitely something to think about (life wise) with the different levels of hell being represented by the 7 Deadly Sins, you might be able to see where you lack in discipline. I know I did.

It may not be real text or content to live a life off of or worship, but the representations given is heavy and can easily be applied for correction in ones life.

I don't see why one would have anything against the 7 Deadly Sins, they are very moral rules that I think everybody should try and follow. It only will make you a better person physically, emotionally, and possibly spiritually. If everybody could stay away from the 7DS, we'd have world peace.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I read part of it for a university history class. I thought it was a great piece of literature, and strongly recommend it on a fictional basis. However, I think Dante got much of the theology wrong. (although a lot of it was in agreement with what people believed at the time) For example, Virgil mentions that he is damned for eternity just because he lived and died before Christ atoned for the world's sins, and I do not believe that this is how things work.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join