It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida: State Farm blames sinkholes for 28% rate hike request

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Not sure? Fragile Earth forum or Political Madness???

Growing up, we'd hear about sinkholes as often as we did tsunamis. We knew they existed but they hardly ever happened. Not by nature anyway.
So I thought maybe I've just been paying more attention to conditions and current events lately and that's why I've been hearing about more sinkholes. But apparently, sinkholes have become a problem (or an opportunity to jack up MORE prices in a dying economy!)
So I'm really not sure what's going on here.
Is Earth really falling a part and caving in? Is it more fragile than we think?
Or are the greedycorportations not greedy enough?

Now on the political (business) side of this. I just read that Florida leads the nation with 1 in 5 behind on their mortgage.
So is this REALLY gonna help matters?

Some parts of south Florida look like ghost towns. It's very telling especially when I moved here 7 years ago, when there was a waiting list for housing and employment was abound.
Now? One out of ten receive food stamps and one out of twenty are unemployed!
There are parts of south Florida where there are as many abandominiums as (occupied) condominiums!

Between Earth changes and economic changes, I think the worse is yet to come. But the key is, don't fear it. Just realize it's a real good possibility that things are about to get real ugly.

TALLAHASSEE - Citing sinkhole losses and higher operating expenses, State Farm Florida asked state regulators today for a 28 percent premium increase on its homeowners policies.

Sinkhole claims, which are approaching $2 billion over the past five years in Florida, have exploded at a great cost to the insurance industry.

www2.tbo.com...
edit on 17-2-2011 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Nice post. I am going to through in the Chile sink hole, to double up on the points you are making.

I think we often make a mistake of continuously wearing the human perspective, where someone would stomp on the ground and say, "Yep, seems sturdy to me." From a global perspective, these holes are like what zits are to man. Nothing big, really.

Imagine all the microbes on your body and when you get a zit, there are microbes running around stating, "It's the end of the world! Prophecy says so!"

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
If you had to ask anyone with some sort of practical insight on how business and the Government works can tell that someone high up realizes Florida will have a natural disaster or will somehow be affected by one and don't want to face a full pay-out on all the insurance owners in Florida... So jack the rates up!!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by 9Cib27
If you had to ask anyone with some sort of practical insight on how business and the Government works can tell that someone high up realizes Florida will have a natural disaster or will somehow be affected by one and don't want to face a full pay-out on all the insurance owners in Florida... So jack the rates up!!

I think it's time to get out of this hell-hole! This state is one of the most impoverished and hardest states to make it in. The demographics are huge down here. There's no middle class hardly (and that's what I am)

Plus, it's so ugly (except for the beaches but even that, I had to step over thousands of dead jellyfish yesterday and today)

Time to get out of dodge. I don't have a good feeling about too many things lately but I get a strong uncomfortable feeling that Florida might be the first state to go. Both, financially and figuratively!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by alyoshablue
Nice post. I am going to through in the Chile sink hole, to double up on the points you are making.

i like to see that the chileans are into public safety, with all the barriers and warning signs preventing people from falling in.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by alyoshablue

Oh good lord! WTF? How did that happen? Was that from the earthquake??

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by alyoshablue

I think we often make a mistake of continuously wearing the human perspective, where someone would stomp on the ground and say, "Yep, seems sturdy to me." From a global perspective, these holes are like what zits are to man. Nothing big, really.

Imagine all the microbes on your body and when you get a zit, there are microbes running around stating, "It's the end of the world! Prophecy says so!"

This looks so symmetrical though. As if someone burrowed right down in there. What was the story on this one?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

I have about the same feelings man. Its weird how much plane and copter activity has been going on, not to mention the high frenquency hums, rings, and ear pops. The whales and Sunfish washing up and dead jellyfish and strange bird activity doesn't seems good either. I think Colorado would be a wise choice right now... Really high up i'm talking like Leadville, Colorado.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
i was thinking about this yesterday... could these sinkholes be from leaky pipes that just corrode away at everything under it until it all falls in?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
South Florida has become to populated and under ground aquifers are running dry creating massive sinkholes. So do you cut the population, restrict water usage, or do you tell companies like Zephyrhills to stop bottling water? How about returning water under ground and not pumping it into rivers and out to the ocean?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

People say that Florida is a "better" place to live but I say that they're totally crazy.

I would not want to live in state where in the worst case scenario, would be completely submerged!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I think it looks so smooth, and symmetrical. After all, those underground trams need some vents too.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
AlienHuman:

I was mistaken. Apparently, that was Guatemala. Here is the reasoning:

The Guatemala sinkhole fits into a broader use of the term, which refers to any sudden slump of the ground's surface. Instead of solid bedrock, much of Guatemala City rests atop a layer of loose, gravelly volcanic pumice that is hundreds of feet thick. And at least one geologist says leaking pipes—not nature—created the recent sinkhole.

Does leaking pipes seem logical? Check out this thread, which has a collection of sink holes. Apparently, not to uncommon of a thing.

images.google.com...

new topics

top topics

join