It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin shows rest of country the real union thuggery going on in this country

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
These union folks are howling at the moon about an 8% raise in healthcare and pensions of which they barely pay any to begin with. Welcome to reality. And so much for political hate speech. I've seen signs of the governor being called Hitler and chants of "kill the bill" and on and on. Will this all be Palin's fault too? Teachers are callling in sick and closing schools down. I say fire em all. Or as the article states here don't have em pay for benefits like the rest of us common folks and lose your job. I sure don't think they're going to get much sympathy from folks who are wondering where their kids next meal is coming from.

Unions still could represent workers, but could not seek pay increases above those pegged to the Consumer Price Index unless approved by a public referendum. Unions also could not force employees to pay dues and would have to hold annual votes to stay organized. In exchange for bearing more costs and losing bargaining leverage, public employees were promised no furloughs or layoffs. Walker has threatened to order layoffs of up to 6,000 state workers if the measure does not pass.

Link to story

+17 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by HoldTheBeans

Finally, we have someone in office that is willing to stand up for what is right and moral for ALL people. I live just outside of Madison and my kids are sitting home today because the teachers all decided to call in sick. How wacked is that? Lets hope Walker continues to stand for what he believes in and listens to the majority who elected him into office to make these tough decisions.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
About time someone stood up to these idiots.
If not for the union these people would be at work instead of staying at home exploiting the system.........good for the Govenor.

+26 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

So I can tell what network you watch, which clearly explains your ignorance. The unions (and lots of other people including many in the private sector) are up in arms not so much about the new contributions, but by the bald union-busting going on where the bill kills their rights to collectively bargain (something that will likely be killed even in this hard right Supreme Court). On top of that, it was completely sprung without warning and jammed through in five days, which is 1000% contrary to how the Wisconsin budget process really works.

Three, the crisis is 100% a LIE by the slimy gov. There IS NO deficit in WI, at least their was not until he came to office. Their own in state GAO showed a $52M surplus when he came in office, but his first three acts have added a few hundred million in state deficit (calculted over the next three years). In other words, HE CREATED THE DEFICIT ALL BY HIMSELF.

Four, and mybe the most cynical and rankly foul part of this? He is NOT mandating these same requirements on the police and fire unions. Why? because those were the only unions that supported his candidacy. In other words, it is TOTAL ABJECT punishment and pay-to-play.

Of course, people like you don't know these facts because you are a FOX News watcher and that makes you a minion ripe for manipulation. You are being played.

The man is a coward, a liar and a cheat and he'll be recalled from office, just watch.

+13 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dwigt

Finally, we have someone in office that is willing to stand up for what is right and moral for ALL people. I live just outside of Madison and my kids are sitting home today because the teachers all decided to call in sick. How wacked is that? Lets hope Walker continues to stand for what he believes in and listens to the majority who elected him into office to make these tough decisions.

That is what gets me. Around here whenever they want a tax raise for schools or teacher pay the usual "It's for the children" mantra comes out. Now these folks are asked to pony up a small percent of what the rest of us pay for our benefits and the governor all of a sudden becomes Hitler to em and they shut down the schools who cares about the children.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
If not for the union these people would be at work instead of staying at home exploiting the system.........good for the Govenor.

Ah...once again, blame the victim. You talk of tearing up a collective agreement that you negotiated and folks aren't allowed to push back? Shows you why unions are necessary in the first place. If management will screw you on the big stuff, it's a pretty good sign of what day-to-day looks like.

Like I say, I have yet to encounter a unionised workplace that didn't ask for it. Happy workers don't organise.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
counter argument on this thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly

So I can tell what network you watch, which clearly explains your ignorance. The unions (and lots of other people including many in the private sector) are up in arms not so much about the new contributions, but by the bald union-busting going on where the bill kills their rights to collectively bargain (something that will likely be killed even in this hard right Supreme Court). On top of that, it was completely sprung without warning and jammed through in five days, which is 1000% contrary to how the Wisconsin budget process really works.

Three, the crisis is 100% a LIE by the slimy gov. There IS NO deficit in WI, at least their was not until he came to office. Their own in state GAO showed a $52M surplus when he came in office, but his first three acts have added a few hundred million in state deficit (calculted over the next three years). In other words, HE CREATED THE DEFICIT ALL BY HIMSELF.

Four, and mybe the most cynical and rankly foul part of this? He is NOT mandating these same requirements on the police and fire unions. Why? because those were the only unions that supported his candidacy. In other words, it is TOTAL ABJECT punishment and pay-to-play.

Of course, people like you don't know these facts because you are a FOX News watcher and that makes you a minion ripe for manipulation. You are being played.

The man is a coward, a liar and a cheat and he'll be recalled from office, just watch.

Hmm that story was from AP and as I pointed out in the included text since you obviously didn't make it to the link it doesn't "bust" the union. You call me ignorant? LOL. If Fox gets you this riled up maybe I'll go to their page and see what they have to say. Must be good to get you all frothing at the mouth and name calling right off the bat.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Ah...once again, blame the victim. You talk of tearing up a collective agreement that you negotiated and folks aren't allowed to push back? Shows you why unions are necessary in the first place. If management will screw you on the big stuff, it's a pretty good sign of what day-to-day looks like.

Like I say, I have yet to encounter a unionised workplace that didn't ask for it. Happy workers don't organise.

I guess its better to just lay off the 6000 workers then. Union cronies don't care they get their monthly dues either way.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
The real truth is that whats going on is a "two-for" union busting move orchestrated by governor Walker and the republican controlled legislature. The Wisconsin state deficit was actually caused by 140 million in special interest giveaways that have been approved since the governor took office and not by the unions.

I just started a new thread regarding this very topic that can be found here; www.abovetopsecret.com...

If you want to skip my thread, here's the source link for my assertions; host.madison.com...

I'm not trying to plug my thread so feel free to skip it if you want to, just check out the source article. Sometimes it hurts when the truth comes out but nowadays the truth is becoming harder and harder to conceal.
edit on 17-2-2011 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

I'm not blaming the victim.......they aren't victims. If everyone else has to tighten their belts, why shouldn't they? I have had to deal with repercussions of union thugs in two different industries, they are just short of organized crime.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish
The real truth is that whats going on is a "two-for" union busting move orchestrated by governor Walker and the republican controlled legislature. The Wisconsin state deficit was actually caused by 140 million in special interest giveaways that have been approved since the governor took office and not by the unions.

I just started a new thread regarding this very topic that can be found here; www.abovetopsecret.com...

If you want to skip my thread, here's the source link for my assertions; host.madison.com...

I'm not trying to plug my thread so feel free to skip it if you want to, just check out the source article. Sometimes it hurts when the truth comes out but nowadays the truth is becoming harder and harder to conceal.
edit on 17-2-2011 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

So an economic recovery plan and HSA plan are giving money back to "cronies"? He is trying to avert a crisis that most other states and unions. I guess you would rather wait until it's too late like others have. Well you elected the wrong governor. As for paying off "cronies" how much stimulous money went out to non union contractors from Obammers stimulous? I'll await your reply.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I guess its better to just lay off the 6000 workers then. Union cronies don't care they get their monthly dues either way.

How about you blame the government that allowed all of those jobs to go off-shore in the first place, then allowed Wall Street to loot the middle class in the process. The whole thing is a huge scam to take all that post-war real estate money out of Mom and Dad's inheritance...and it worked right fine.

But blame your neighbour...do the Banker's work for them.
edit on 17-2-2011 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Fire all the teachers, huh?. Great idea. That would push Wisconsin's 875,000 public school students into full time day care at an average cost of 93.00 per week, for a total cost to Wisc. parents of 3 billion 225 million dollars per year for the 40 week school year. And then, since Wisc has a mandatory education law, the parents would have to find and pay for a private school, at thousands of dollars per student per year.
Oh yeah, let's dump the 98,000 homes occupied by the teachers into the foreclosure market, which in WI is already at 2.5% of all mortgages, and rising www.wsaw.com... You would expect people in WI, which is an agricultural state, to respect the tried and true admonition not to "eat the seed corn." But no, they seem to be willing to cannibalize the future to make a present point.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

I have had to deal with repercussions of union thugs in two different industries, they are just short of organized crime.

Ain't that the truth! My Dad organized a union (Pocketbook publisher in NYC) and the national union thugs beat the living crap out of him and literally drove Dad out of town! We moved to another state because they threaten to kill not only Dad but the whole family!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
First of all, i invoke Godwin's rule. Hilter was referenced therefore the author loses any debate before it starts.

Secondly: as was stated in an earlier post, this is union busting. Truth of the matter is the US would not have become the country it is without them and frankly non-union employees have always benefitted from unions who fought for the worker. Unions are a primary factor in the creation of the middle class. People can blame the problems on the unions and in some cases union leadership like any other high up position --public or private-- will exploit the benefits of the postition. that doesn't mean the governor should refuse to bargain in good faith with a threat of force. Government officials, especially those with ties to big businesses, have turned the issue of wasteful spending as a result of the unions and turned the public upon themselves.

I also agree that i have a hard time seeing the Supreme Court ruling against the state government. It actually took on a second admendment case which I honestly thought they would never do. Right now the appearance of the court favors the republican right.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

I'm not blaming the victim.......they aren't victims. If everyone else has to tighten their belts, why shouldn't they? I have had to deal with repercussions of union thugs in two different industries, they are just short of organized crime.

And I've been a Chief Steward for a supposedly 'enlightened' employer...as well as negotiating a contract. There is still a damn good reason for unions. Further...chase down the scum that caused the belt tightening...demand accountability from the government and the banks, throw the bandits in jail!

Or sit at a keyboard and blame your neighbours.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
What's at work here is demonization propaganda against the unions in this country, as there has been since Reagan busted the first unions in preparation for the systematic dismantling of this country, and particularly the middle class. They will blame the unions for, set them up, and accuse them of all sorts of things because the unions stand in their way. Plain and simple.

The issues we're facing as a nation are due to and exacerbated by the eroding tax base. Period. And this is a direct result of these same corporations and governments shipping our work offshore, lowering wages for the remaining jobs, allowing the importation and illegal immigration of foreign workers who either pay little or no taxes, giving huge tax shelters and loopholes to both the corporations and the rich, and allowing the rich to stash their money in offshore bank accounts to avoid paying,

No workers, no taxes to pay for things. Who couldn't have predicted this? If they couldn't, then why are they running our businesses and our country? If they could, ask yourself why they let it happen.

So sure. Blame the unions now. And when all the unions are gone, ask yourself who their going to blame next.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by cypwolf
First of all, i invoke Godwin's rule. Hilter was referenced therefore the author loses any debate before it starts.

Secondly: as was stated in an earlier post, this is union busting. Truth of the matter is the US would not have become the country it is without them and frankly non-union employees have always benefitted from unions who fought for the worker. Unions are a primary factor in the creation of the middle class. People can blame the problems on the unions and in some cases union leadership like any other high up position --public or private-- will exploit the benefits of the postition. that doesn't mean the governor should refuse to bargain in good faith with a threat of force. Government officials, especially those with ties to big businesses, have turned the issue of wasteful spending as a result of the unions and turned the public upon themselves.

I also agree that i have a hard time seeing the Supreme Court ruling against the state government. It actually took on a second admendment case which I honestly thought they would never do. Right now the appearance of the court favors the republican right.

LOL. So I say they are comparing the gov to hitler and I lose the debate. Yep that makes so much sense.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

And I've been a Chief Steward for a supposedly 'enlightened' employer...as well as negotiating a contract. There is still a damn good reason for unions. Further...chase down the scum that caused the belt tightening...demand accountability from the government and the banks, throw the bandits in jail!

Or sit at a keyboard and blame your neighbours.

Ah so now I understand. Scumbags eh. Expecting unions to pay their fair share how dare anybody speak up to that.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join