Mexican brewery produces first gay beer

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
story.mexicostar.com...

A small Mexican brewery has unveiled what it claims is the world's first beer aimed at the homosexual community.

The beer has a slight honey flavour and will initially be marketed to gays and lesbians in Mexico, Colombia and Japan.

The Minerva brewery said that the "Artisan Honey-Ales" would appeal to a section of the beer-drinking public that had so far been snubbed by larger brewers.

Not exactly Breaking Alternative News and even a bit weak for Social Issues section, I thought this interesting enough to deserve mention in BTS. Mexican beers I think are pretty good in general. I don't think I will be rushing out to look for these in the stores but a good honey-ale on a hot spring afternoon might be welcome. Still, perhaps a "straight" beer might be more my style.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Obviously this brewery has never heard of Michelob Ultra Tuscan Orange Grapefruit.

beeradvocate.com...

I'm pretty sure that was a targeted beer.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Beer & honey? Sounds bloody good to me and I'm not even gay lol.

Considering how good mead is, I bet this stuff is good too.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Yazman

Agreed, this sounds like a delicious combo!!

On another note:
Now forgive me for saying so but.... I feel some strange urge to go suck down a cold one.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Just an afterthought,
In America our beer commercials show big horses dogs football players, babes in bikini's.
I just wonder what the commercials will be like if they are indeed truly marketed for the gay / lesbian community.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Wait.. I thought Zima was the first "gay" beer?

And yeah, honey ales are nothing new.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by Yazman

Agreed, this sounds like a delicious combo!!

On another note:
Now forgive me for saying so but.... I feel some strange urge to go suck down a cold one.

LOL, nicely said. I'm a fan of all Beers so not sure how this type of Beer can be just directed for Gays. Either way...don't really care but like you said in your other post, it would be interesting to see the marketing for it.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by pacofunk64

LOL, nicely said. I'm a fan of all Beers so not sure how this type of Beer can be just directed for Gays. Either way...don't really care but like you said in your other post, it would be interesting to see the marketing for it.

I agree. I'm not sure how this can be directed just for gays, unless they simply plan to market it that way. Google search Honey Ales and you will find that there are many of them out there already produced by micro-breweries. Someone mentioned mead which is the original honey ale. Of course mead is usually associated with meat eating, bearskin wearing barbarians from the middle ages. I've had true mead at festivals in Germany and it can range from lightly refreshing to knock your socks off strong.

I like many kinds of beer and some ales flavored with things like fruit, flowers and spices I guess could be marketed to certain demographics, but I don't see why they would. If they are great tasting, anyone will buy and enjoy them.

The best flavored ale I had was from a home brewer I used to hang out with. We used to get up at 6am to start the day's batch and he had made what he called his "Breakfast Grapefruit Ale". Needless to say, by the time 2pm rolled around, I had to call my wife to come pick me up. LOL
edit on 17-2-2011 by tsawyer2 because: content addition

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by tsawyer2

Originally posted by pacofunk64

I agree. I'm not sure how this can be directed just for gays, unless they simply plan to market it that way. Google search Honey Ales and you will find that there are many of them out there already produced by micro-breweries. Someone mentioned mead which is the original honey ale. Of course mead is usually associated with meat eating, bearskin wearing barbarians from the middle ages. I've had true mead at festivals in Germany and it can range from lightly refreshing to knock your socks off strong.

I like many kinds of beer and some ales flavored with things like fruit, flowers and spices I guess could be marketed to certain demographics, but I don't see why they would. If they are great tasting, anyone will buy and enjoy them.

The best flavored ale I had was from a home brewer I used to hang out with. We used to get up at 6am to start the day's batch and he had made what he called his "Breakfast Grapefruit Ale". Needless to say, by the time 2pm rolled around, I had to call my wife to come pick me up. LOL
edit on 17-2-2011 by tsawyer2 because: content addition

The way I see it, its just another marketing tactic. Stir the market with a slogan and make people curious about the product and watch the profits soar within the first few weeks after the product has been launched. Once people taste it, they'll definitely go for more since it will be nothing different then the other products in the market. Basically they want the folks to try the product in this economy since the competition is very very stiff. It is sad but everybody in the world is using such tactics these days it seems to get attention or visibility. Especially the Athletes and Celebrities even though politicians and companies are using the same tactic.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I thought Miller Lite was the first one.

Peace

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

I can't fault them for employing marketing schemes. It looks like there is a bit of labelling going on as well, once the beer is done the pull-off label can be worn as a gay pride sticker. Since this brand is already available around the resorts of the Mexican riviera it also looks like a handy way to meet new friends while on vacation.

It might be well worth a try, after all isn't the gay community known for discriminating tastes? If the product is really good, though, their marketing tactic could backfire. There may be quite a few "macho" men put-off by a gay product that might otherwise choose this brand. A velvet saddle cowboy image could bridge a couple sectors but not everyone is quite ready for the metro scene.

I could see a possibility of there becoming "closet-consumers" who might secretly enjoy this honey ale at home but wouldn't want to be seen drinking it in public.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro

I could see a possibility of there becoming "closet-consumers" who might secretly enjoy this honey ale at home but wouldn't want to be seen drinking it in public.

"Closet consumers" That sounds like me when my girlfriend asks me to pick her up a six pack of 55 calorie beer at the market. I always have to make sure I buy some micro-brewery beer for me so people don't think I drink that ultra-light stuff. But it also gives me an excuse to pick up some Oil of Olay Ageless facial scrub. Great stuff, and now I am out of the closet for using it.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

reply to post by hp1229

There may be quite a few "macho" men put-off by a gay product that might otherwise choose this brand. A velvet saddle cowboy image could bridge a couple sectors but not everyone is quite ready for the metro scene.

hahaha..the way global politicians and their vote banks are passing the gay rights laws, pretty soon there wont be any 'macho' men left

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I've got an idea! Why don't they take this product and market it to the homosexual community in Mexico, etc. and also market it as "a throwback to the days of REAL Mead" in the USA. They could have commercials here (USA) with drunken Vikings drinking the product out of Ox horns, gorging on ham hocks, with wenches all around and in Mexico have the same product appear with a same-sex couple enjoying an elegant dinner with a view of the beach in the background, clinking bottles to celebrate an occasion. Then, switch it up, and show how they marketed the product in the different countries. I think it would be controversial, but then again, it may break down some stereotypical barriers.

I think the reaction would be the same on both sides. The "Macho" men would get upset because they were drinking "gay" beer, and the homosexual community would be upset because they were drinking something associated with ham hocks, and Vikings.

But there will be a few people who step back and think, this is being marketed to my diametrically opposite sexuality in different countries. Maybe they are more like me than I thought. Maybe I should have more of an open mind.

Point here is this: Marketing has alot to do with bias, and can help in the breakdown of such. Which would be a good thing.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsawyer2
Point here is this: Marketing has alot to do with bias, and can help in the breakdown of such. Which would be a good thing.

True but marketing also sets a commercial echo which many younger viewers worship blind foldedly
Some of them might not be what they think they are but they end up thinking that they are what the commercial represents. It is a matter of Social Responsibility or Ethics that normally most companies think about along with their Marketing Campaign (ofcourse it looks good but not many really live up to the liability when the SHTF).

Best thing to do is just market beer for its taste and quality. Not who should drink what type of beer. That would be indirectly dictating the consumer as per how to live their life (which I do not care for since I had my parents and kindergarten teacher taught me years ago). It is amazing how much impact a Commercial has on a young and weak mind in the world. Sure industries thrive on it but at the cost of several side effects

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

It is amazing how much impact a Commercial has on a young and weak mind in the world. Sure industries thrive on it but at the cost of several side effects

That's what the alcohol industry thrives on.

They taught us recreational drug-use is a good thing, made it a national pasttime. Now that many people are enamored with an alternative it is creating a ruckus heard around the world. Alcohol is a jealous god and will tolerate no other gods before theirs.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

reply to post by hp1229

It is amazing how much impact a Commercial has on a young and weak mind in the world. Sure industries thrive on it but at the cost of several side effects

That's what the alcohol industry thrives on.

They taught us recreational drug-use is a good thing, made it a national pasttime. Now that many people are enamored with an alternative it is creating a ruckus heard around the world. Alcohol is a jealous god and will tolerate no other gods before theirs.

True but it all starts with Parents and ultimately the society. Teach Common Sense as well in addition to other things to their kids. The external elements and forces are definitely strong globally these days. However everything starts at home. The teachings have to be strong and effective for it to be able to resist the external damaging forces.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
C'mon...they missed the obvious name.... "Queer Beer"

Ok, don't hate...you know you were thinking it too!

Sounds like Honey Mead really (which is pretty decent if done right). Long a staple at many Renaissance Festivals across the realms, hehe...

top topics

join