It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit Will PAY You To Take One Of These 100 Abandoned Homes

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Wow those pictures are so sad to look at.
It's like a graveyard of homes. All of those homes look like they were absolutely beautiful in their prime. Some just need a little TLC to be back to their original beauty. I LOVE brick homes and the style of many of those homes are what I like. There are some homes that look to be beyond repair and should just be demolished. How can you redo a home that has the roof caving in or missing? It would seem that it would cost too much to redo them but I guess the right person could? Some look like they should just be condemed others though just need some work.

I agree that number 31 is the best! Wow it looks like a castle! With some work it would be amazing. I bet that one will go quick.

I live in Florida so this wouldn't be something for me but I hope it helps the area. 150k is a lot of money to redo a home. My old landlord got 100k and redid 8 units in a house that was turned into apts. It was a historical builiding so he got a grant to redo it and he did an amazing job. He didn't he use the entire 100k either! It can be done and I hope the right people get these homes and bring them and the area back to life.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Unions were the blessing and the bane of progress in the industry. I can't criticize what they did, especially in the beginning, but I certainly can't blame the automakers for looking elsewhere in the end.

I agree to let bygones be bygones. If our project treated employees the way Google does, and we profit shared and fostered an environment for innovation and paid them to work on their own projects in their free time, then we would not have to worry about Unions.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
This could be a win-win for a lot of people, couldn't it? I applaud this mayor and Detroit for taking steps to attempt to revitalize his town, and am going to choose to ignore pessimists, naysayers, and the usual doom and gloomers who will likely be along any minute now to tell us how this is a waste of money and won't ever work.

edit on 2/17/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

This is a waste of money that will never work, the government is going to test HAARP on these neighborhoods, when Yellow Stone blows they are right on the fault line and will be swallowed up, but the invading Reptilian Space Aliens are going to eat you before the earth does, even though by then the Chinese army will be patrolling the streets and harassing everyone not in a FEMA Concentration camp, or killed by the Terrorist Nuclear False Flag and anyone who beats the odds is just going to fall into outerspace during the Pole Shift.

LOL! This just got the biggest laugh from me which as of late is hard to get me to do..

Thank You.

At first I was like has Proto lost it!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
If anybody is really interested I found this:

For more information on this project please contact Juanita R. Jones at 313-974-6869

From this PDF.
But from what I have read am I to understand you must already be a resident of Michigan? Am I reading this wrong?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
The only way to break the corporate and government chains that bind us is to break them. Produce locally and buy locally. Become the government. Does all this take some sacrifice? You betcha. It isn't going to be easy or fast, but it needs focus, and once more people have this focus, it will be so worth it. It's really the only way.

Taking back our country, one city at a time.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Unions were the blessing and the bane of progress in the industry. I can't criticize what they did, especially in the beginning, but I certainly can't blame the automakers for looking elsewhere in the end.

I agree to let bygones be bygones. If our project treated employees the way Google does, and we profit shared and fostered an environment for innovation and paid them to work on their own projects in their free time, then we would not have to worry about Unions.

Indeed!
That is so true...Personally though I feel there are many groups/factions that lead to Detroit's (As well as many other cities) Decline. So to say it was such and such or so and so is just moot. IMO.

Also #31 is what I was looking at, Lol. I was thinking since there is no roof, cathedral ceiling with a large stained glass section/center. That would be my idea...hahaha but I guess there will be many people wanting that property.
Oops not the one I was thinking of, I was looking at the first pic #1 actually...looks like at least a six bedroom, so naturally I assumed that is the one that was #31....31 would be great for opening another Midevil restaurant like they have here in Orlando complete with jousters.
edit on 17-2-2011 by ldyserenity because: fix the house number i was talking about lol

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by network dude

I like where you are going with that.....could be turned in to a community based thing, there's enough land and old industrial sites for growing fresh produce (even open a market) ; the sky's the limit!

the problem is those industrial sights are brownfields with high conecntrations of lead and other harmful byproducts of the early industrial age. Anyhting grown on these sites with not meet agricultural standards and will be harmful to the residents in the surrounding communities until the sites themselves are cleaned up. Many of those early houses, especially the ones that have been gutted, probably contain large amounts of asbestos that would require a lot of prep work to take down. Any purchase of these places should be done with the utmost caution and the site should be fully investigated prior to purchase.

The next problem that Detroit would face would be the insider/outsider mentallity of the cities residents. Its an attitude that was perpetuated under Coleman young and has consisted til this day. The officers are not ging to move back. I'm fortuante enough through my work to have made aquaintances with several from both the city and suburbs and several of them do not want to live in the communities they patrol for fear of retaliation.

In the end its a win win situation in most cases. Detroit needs to retain the young inovate people the surrounding area loses every year. Creating an enviornment the benefits a young kid coming out of college is definitely help. The move also benefits the city in the long run, even with the high costs it will be paying to bring people in. They need to change the culture and nurture a new tax base. this provides an opportunity for that.
(well as long as they keep the monica conyers of the world off the city council).

Just a side note, things will become interesting if Snyder ends up forcing Detroit into bankrupcy and disolving the city council and mayoral posts. I still believe these benefits will remain in place but it could complicate things.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by cypwolf

reply to post by network dude

I like where you are going with that.....could be turned in to a community based thing, there's enough land and old industrial sites for growing fresh produce (even open a market) ; the sky's the limit!

the problem is those industrial sights are brownfields with high conecntrations of lead and other harmful byproducts of the early industrial age. Anyhting grown on these sites with not meet agricultural standards and will be harmful to the residents in the surrounding communities until the sites themselves are cleaned up. Many of those early houses, especially the ones that have been gutted, probably contain large amounts of asbestos that would require a lot of prep work to take down. Any purchase of these places should be done with the utmost caution and the site should be fully investigated prior to purchase.

Well there is also hydro farming (name may be incorrect?) which involves greenhouses and absolutely No soil whatsoever, I have heard they have made great strides with these technologies?
Oh it's called Hydroponics.
edit on 17-2-2011 by ldyserenity because: add something

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by cypwolf

TSP neutralizes lead however many states won't touch it because it's highly posionous however compost and lots of it is a natural alternative.

There's also LUL that can be sprayed upon old leaded paint when renovating.

It's something to look in to if anyone was serious enough but you are correct, I forgot about the heavy lead and chemicals drenched in the area....but not impossible to neutralize.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Yes you are correct. While I had a large fresh produce market in mind, I was thinking of a great one in Utah.

These empty suburbs of Detroit is not for the faint hearted but for those who are prepared to roll their sleeves up and do some serious work; I don't think that would pose a problem amongst some ATS members and those who want a good stab at it. I can't see how a project can fail if everyone stays focused; friendships new and old will be made and the future is limitless.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

The only way to break the corporate and government chains that bind us is to break them. Produce locally and buy locally. Become the government. Does all this take some sacrifice? You betcha. It isn't going to be easy or fast, but it needs focus, and once more people have this focus, it will be so worth it. It's really the only way.

Taking back our country, one city at a time.

Well. Nothing can go forward until we're done paying our debt off and post National Budget Surplus
This would be a good project for ground up urban rebuilding of an already existing infrastructure after a massive failure. It can also serve as a pilot project to rebuild fallen/abandoned cities in the future after a economic or war related collapse.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

I disagree (unless I missed that you were kidding?). We cannot stop investing in our people or our cities just because we have this debt hanging over us. That would only put the final nail in our coffin. Even though some of the corporations and the portions of the government in their pockets, who also coincidentally brought a lot of this down on us, have stopped believing in and investing in this country, it doesn't mean everyone has. Find solace in and take advantage of that.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Yes you are correct. While I had a large fresh produce market in mind, I was thinking of a great one in Utah.

These empty suburbs of Detroit is not for the faint hearted but for those who are prepared to roll their sleeves up and do some serious work; I don't think that would pose a problem amongst some ATS members and those who want a good stab at it. I can't see how a project can fail if everyone stays focused; friendships new and old will be made and the future is limitless.

Yes I would want to invest in some Firearms were I to do this. Especially since I have children. I need to be able to protect them. But I think it would work, with some finagling and of course try to communicate with the already residents first, use force last. I think it could be done. I have also mentioned in another thread about Detroit, that if someone could prepare larger homes/ establishments as drug programs/stay in drug/alcohol rehabilitation centers and community outreach programs and job services in there, it would do a lot for the city. That would take medical professionals and social workers etc being also targeted for incentives to move into the city. I think this could go a long way into helping the ones who feel "stuck".

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Yep....and I was just reading an article the other day about GM, once one of the largest if not the largest American corporation received a massive bail out and recently showed a large profit and decided to invest in more jobs by opening a new factory............

not in the USA

in Mexico!!!

I'm not American but if I was, I'd be bloody furious!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

reply to post by hp1229

I disagree (unless I missed that you were kidding?). We cannot stop investing in our people or our cities just because we have this debt hanging over us. That would only put the final nail in our coffin. Even though some of the corporations and the portions of the government in their pockets, who also coincidentally brought a lot of this down on us, have stopped believing in and investing in this country, it doesn't mean everyone has. Find solace in and take advantage of that.

I was not kidding. If you invest now, the same crooks will see to it that the investment (Money or Resources) is steered according to their likings. Besides who is going to tie the bell around the cat's neck ? I do know that the Muslim Americans are using this opportunity wisely and helping upto certain extent to revitalize the poverty stricken area of Detroit and its suburbs. However do you think average Yuppy will invest time or money in a place like Detroit which has always been on top of the Crime Filled City list? Do you think they'll risk losing their life savings or Life itself to a crime filled neighborhood? This is the sad reality. The sense of Social Responsibility is very very low.

edit on 17-2-2011 by hp1229 because: Add Content.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Okay. You just lost me. Sorry.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

reply to post by hp1229

Okay. You just lost me. Sorry.
If the system has failed completely then it is easier to fix the system. If the system is not broke, it will continue to remain the same...FUBAR. Do you think the corrupt system will let someone waltz in and change the image of Detroit for real? I'm sure they'll go through the same BS of spending countless dollars and hours before anything can be really done to the city to improvize its infrastructure and landscape. The legal system is such that only filthy rich folks can afford to invest. People like us cannot since no Banks are willing to invest either.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

But I was speaking of a new system. That's where our disconnect is maybe.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

reply to post by hp1229

But I was speaking of a new system. That's where our disconnect is maybe.

BINGO. That would make more sense

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by cypwolf

Actually, that is a common problem among urban gardening.

That's why the most common method for urban, close-quartered gardening is raised beds, a very inexpensive and effective solution.

raised bed gardening

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join